Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Graham Ashcraft

Re: Graham Ashcraft

The new market inefficiency is guys who throw 100 mph sinkers and cutters and get a million ground balls.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

2. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (06-08-2022),Banshee (06-03-2022),membengal (06-03-2022),Mitri (06-02-2022),mth123 (06-02-2022),Redsfaithful (06-03-2022),RedsManRick (06-02-2022),RedTeamGo! (06-02-2022),RiverRat13 (06-02-2022),Ron Madden (06-02-2022),Roy Tucker (06-02-2022),SomeCallMeTim (06-02-2022),WildcatFan (06-03-2022),Wonderful Monds (06-03-2022),WrongVerb (06-02-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

This guy may just turn out to be the best of the rookie trio. He is built for GABP.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

5. Likes:

Ky Fried Redleg (06-03-2022),Redhook (06-02-2022),RedTeamGo! (06-02-2022),Ron Madden (06-02-2022)

With each start Ashcraft is looking more legit. Better breaking stuff vs the Nats and the velo was 98 into the 7th.

7. Likes:

malcontent (06-02-2022),Redsfan6272 (06-03-2022),RedsfaninMT (06-02-2022),Ron Madden (06-02-2022)

Graham Ashcraft delivers another gem in Cincinnati Reds' blowout win over Nationals

What stands out about Ashcraft is he’s willing to pitch to contact when he possesses dominant stuff. He had only one inning Thursday when he threw more than 14 pitches.

He induced a staggering 14 groundball outs. Even Juan Soto, one of the league’s best hitters, rolled over to the right side of the infield three times.

The 24-year-old Ashcraft surrendered a solo homer to Josh Bell in the seventh inning, snapping his 12 2/3-inning scoreless streak.

It’s a bit of a rare sight. Ashcraft allowed only six homers across 197 1/3 innings in the minor leagues.

Ashcraft, with his three starts against Toronto, San Francisco and Washington, owns a 1.53 ERA.

Starting pitching struggles were at the root of the Reds’ abysmal April. Now the Reds have Ashcraft, Luis Castillo, Tyler Mahle, Hunter Greene and Mike Minor. It’s not a coincidence the Reds are showing signs of life and no longer look like a team destined to lose 100 games.

story here::
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb...BingNewsSearch

9. Likes:

Kingspoint (06-03-2022),Red Raindog (06-08-2022)

Looked great tonight. I am looking forward to seeing how this guy continues to perform, but let’s not forget this was against the Nationals, who are somehow worse than the Reds this year.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

After getting Robles looking, Ashcraft spun from the mound and pumped his fist with excitement. According to Statcast, the slider’s spin rate averaged 2,790 rpm, higher than his average of 2,678 and much higher than the league average of 2,403. It averaged 86.5 mph.

“That’s something we’ve been trying to work on over the last couple bullpens,” Ashcraft said. “We just made a quick, small, little tweak on it, keep your hand back and not try to get your fingers off the ball. That made it hard to hit.”

https://www.mlb.com/reds/news/graham...h-full-arsenal
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

12. Likes:

Ron Madden (06-03-2022)

Slider you say?

I'm not a system player. I am a system.

14. Likes:

SomeCallMeTim (06-03-2022)

ROY is a strong possibility. Impressed how well he fields his position as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    The new market inefficiency is guys who throw 100 mph sinkers and cutters and get a million ground balls.
    Yes. Particularly at GABP.

I’ve always wanted Reds to look for ground ball pitchers who can miss bats at GABP. This was the Cueto/Castillo formula.

If Reds can have more pitchers (starters and bullpen) with those skills, it definitely helps matters. Add in a superior defensive infield, and it goes even further.

17. Likes:

JCM11 (06-03-2022),wlf WV (06-03-2022)

Among those who had a tough night vs. Ashcraft was superstar Juan Soto, who grounded out three times with an average exit velocity of 84.2 mph. Ashcraft is soft-spoken, but he let his confidence show after the game.

“I was going right at him. I wasn’t going to throw around him,” Ashcraft said of Soto. “I know what he can do, but he hasn’t seen my kind of stuff. I like to think I beat him today.”

https://www.mlb.com/reds/news/graham...h-full-arsenal

Only three starts, but there's nothing to "not like" so far.

His success has probably made some forget about Connor Overton. He should be ready to return in the second half of the season, but not sure they'll have a spot in the rotation for him. Unfortunately for him he's in this sixth organization after he was drafted in the 15th round in 2014, so he doesn't have much prior investment by the team to protect. He was fun to watch for four starts though. It seems to be a given that Castillo and/or Mahle will be dealt, so he could be a fourth rookie in the rotation by season's end.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I'll take five of those, please.

21. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (06-03-2022),Old school 1983 (06-03-2022),RiverRat13 (06-03-2022),Rojo Rijo (06-03-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Lex2020 View Post
    Only three starts, but there's nothing to "not like" so far.

His success has probably made some forget about Connor Overton. He should be ready to return in the second half of the season, but not sure they'll have a spot in the rotation for him. Unfortunately for him he's in this sixth organization after he was drafted in the 15th round in 2014, so he doesn't have much prior investment by the team to protect. He was fun to watch for four starts though. It seems to be a given that Castillo and/or Mahle will be dealt, so he could be a fourth rookie in the rotation by season's end.
    In addition to Castillo or Mahle being shipped, I doubt Greene and Ashcraft will go the whole season so I bet there will be plenty of rotation spots available in late August and September.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Yes. Particularly at GABP.

I’ve always wanted Reds to look for ground ball pitchers who can miss bats at GABP. This was the Cueto/Castillo formula.

If Reds can have more pitchers (starters and bullpen) with those skills, it definitely helps matters. Add in a superior defensive infield, and it goes even further.
    I think literally everybody is looking for ground ball pitchers who can miss bats.

24. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (06-03-2022),alwaysawarrior (06-08-2022),Chip R (06-13-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by podgejeff_ View Post
    I think literally everybody is looking for ground ball pitchers who can miss bats.
    Yeah and it’s certainly easier said than done to find the truly good ones.

Still, there is something to be said for HR avoidance. That’s what I noticed right away with Ashcraft in the minors, he went some ridiculous amount of time without ever giving up one.

26. Likes:

Old school 1983 (06-03-2022)

Turn Off Ads?