Turn Off Ads?
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314

Thread: 5-29-22 Reds vs Giants 11:30 AM

Re: 5-29-22 Reds vs Giants 11:30 AM

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    If you only have two in this day and age, you'll wear them out and have none come June or so. See Cessa, Luis, Hernandez, David, Lecure, Sam as examples.
    Obviously you have 7 guys to work; you have 2 you spend 7-8 million bucks a piece on.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Obviously you have 7 guys to work; you have 2 you spend 7-8 million bucks a piece on.
    But if the quality is that different, you'll use up the good ones and be left with the bad ones. Bullpens no longer cover 400 to 450 innings per season anymore. They cover closer to 600 to 650 innings these days. You can have a couple mop-up guys in an 8 man pen, but you need 5 or 6 guys you'd trust in a close game. This pen is filed with mop-up guys and minor leaguers. Adding 2 quality guys wouldn't be enough.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

But if the quality is that different, you'll use up the good ones and be left with the bad ones. Bullpens no longer cover 400 to 450 innings per season anymore. They cover closer to 600 to 650 innings these days. You can have a couple mop-up guys in an 8 man pen, but you need 5 or 6 guys you'd trust in a close game. This pen is filed with mop-up guys and minor leaguers. Adding 2 quality guys wouldn't be enough.
    Getting two quality guys is a start. This org. hasn't been willing to do that thus far. Small steps. I've no objection, of course, to having 8 guys you could really rely on.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Getting two quality guys is a start. This org. hasn't been willing to do that thus far. Small steps. I've no objection, of course, to having 8 guys you could really rely on.
    Obviously 2 quality guys is better than no quality guys, so I agree there. I just want the mindset to change from "we can piece it together from the scrap heap" to we need to identify specific roles we want filled and go find guys to fill them. Even if this team had a high end closer and a shut down fireman, they'd still blow a bunch of games in the 6th and 7th inning. Then they'd start using those guys too much and they would lose their effectiveness as well (possibly permanently as we saw with Lecure and Hernandez).
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Obviously 2 quality guys is better than no quality guys, so I agree there. I just want the mindset to change from "we can piece it together from the scrap heap" to we need to identify specific roles we want filled and go find guys to fill them. Even if this team had a high end closer and a shut down fireman, they'd still blow a bunch of games in the 6th and 7th inning. Then they'd start using those guys too much and they would lose their effectiveness as well (possibly permanently as we saw with Lecure and Hernandez).
    Couldn't agree more. I've said for years on here the easiest way to upgrade the team is to upgrade the pen. They should continually be looking to upgrade.

So I just got around to checking out the game thread from yesterday and I see a lot of mention of Cessa being overused and burned out. I've seen probably 99% of all the games he's been in with this team and I never felt like he was being overused. If anything, it feels like he's a one step forward and two steps back type of guy (like so many guys in the BP). I certainly don't think Bell did anything to damage the guy by giving him every opportunity to prove that he can be a reliable reliever. Of course, this is just from my observation and not any statistical analysis FWIW.

Quote Originally Posted by KYExtemper View Post
    I'm not a fan of having to jump around to different apps to watch games. Of course, I wish MLB TV would get rid of blackouts because I usually have to listen to the audio feed for Reds games. But it's silly to make fans hop on YouTube, get an Apple app, and get Peacock just to watch games during the season, especially if they are in a market to watch their team on MLB TV's online service.
    No problem. just get you a vpn. mine is based in London and I get all mlb games.

Reds Management does not want to pay for a quality bull pen and it shows.

Turn Off Ads?