Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vegetarian Recipes

Re: Vegetarian Recipes

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong View Post
    As my wife and I stroll into our 50's we have decided to experiment with having a "Meatless Monday". My wife has a small stack of recipes she makes that are meatless, but I pretty much can't make jello without putting meat into it so I will need some help.

One hurdle is that I simply cannot stomach broccoli, cauliflower, or asparagus in any manner. I will spend some time at allrecipies.com this week and begin building a list of things to try.

If you have a favored recipe to pass along, I'd love to give it a try.
    We have always eaten vegan or vegetarian about two thirds of the time. I was raised that way, so I don't really think about it, but it's amazingly easy and healthy.

So, two things: Look up Mediterranean recipes. They are incredible diverse, and cover everything from Spanish tapas to Lebanese cuisine, and is the healthiest food on the planet.

Secondly, this is good timing, because one of my daughters asked me to send her instructions for something I have been making for years. I'll post it in the other food thread so as not to distract from here, but basically it is something I learned in Tunisia, and makes a perfect healthy replacement for pizza.

One last thing, and this doesn't apply to you because you are doing vegetarian only one day per week, but I have been brewing kombucha continuously for a couple of decades, and it is a good source of B vitamins for people who avoid animal products completely. I drink about a liter a day, and I don't know how much this has to do with it, but I turn 68 in two weeks and I've never even been to a doctor (before people jump on me, I don't recommend this to others, but I just have never had the need). It's a total probiotic and vitamin bomb.

2. Likes:

westofyou (06-02-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Marinate some large portabella mushrooms, then sprinkle on your favorite steak seasoning and throw them on the grill. Grab some gnocci, cook until firm (not mushy) with garlic, add alfredo sauce (you said "meatless", not cheeseless).

The great thing about that combo is that the portabellas are less filling than steak, but the gnocci is more filling than pasta, so you'll get simulated flavors and the same feeling of "full" to a steak/pasta combo.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

I made this last night. Serve it with some basmati rice and any variety of Indian bread and you’ve got a tasty little meal.

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/...n-beans-masala

6. Likes:

westofyou (06-05-2022)

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

This will give me a good list to work through for starters - thank you.

Fish tacos on the menu for the first week.

Fish though is meat.... just sayin. I had to teach that to my mom and it took 10 years

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Fish though is meat.... just sayin. I had to teach that to my mom and it took 10 years
    Geesh - caught speeding on my first day!

For sure, we will have to ease into this a bit. The Mrs. is at the market today, so may have something meatless later in the week. Need to stock up on some stuff so we are ready to full-roll next Monday.

10. Likes:

dfs (06-06-2022),westofyou (06-06-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    It's sort of like asking for vehicle options that don't burn fossil fuel and then announcing that you've bought a diesel Volkswagen.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    It's sort of like asking for vehicle options that don't burn fossil fuel and then announcing that you've bought a diesel Volkswagen.
    My wife's GM had a pot of bacon grease on her stovetop and would tell me that she was going to sneak it into everything, my mother would use chicken broth to make a base and then get mad because I said it was meat.

13. Likes:

SteelSD (06-06-2022)

Turn Off Ads?