Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Riverfront Remembered: A Film By Cam Miller

Re: Riverfront Remembered: A Film By Cam Miller

I was top 6 directly behind home plate for this game...(which ended up not being ideal as the brawl spilled behind the plate and it was hard to see some of the scrum)

Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

2. Likes:

goreds2 (07-04-2022),Ky Fried Redleg (06-06-2022),Ron Madden (06-06-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    The only place to catch a breeze too
    I watched a few games from behind home plate in the green seats in the '80s. I remember one opening day I Like to froze to death standing there. Had a constant breeze blowing that day, it came in through the gates and whipped around the plaza !level in a big circle. lol

I don't watch a lot of movies but this one is right up my alley. I want to see it!!!

6. Likes:

goreds2 (07-04-2022),Ron Madden (06-06-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    I watched a few games from behind home plate in the green seats in the '80s. I remember one opening day I Like to froze to death standing there. Had a constant breeze blowing that day, it came in through the gates and whipped around the plaza !level in a big circle. lol
    Ron, I went to a game in early April back in the '80's( it was the second or third game of the season). I can honestly say that it was just about the coldest I have ever been in my entire life.
    Last edited by Ky Fried Redleg; 06-06-2022 at 01:12 PM.

8. Likes:

Ron Madden (06-06-2022)

The only place to catch a breeze too
    Is there something I'm missing here? Is that a local saying?

Quote Originally Posted by Ky Fried Redleg View Post
    Ron, I went to a game in early April back in the '80's( it was the second or third game of the season). I can honestly say say that it was just about the coldest I have ever been in my entire life.
    Never been colder there than I was at that Bengals Playoff game, but every time I ever went to Candlestick it was freezing. Ocean cold is different than most colds, damp, to the bone cold

11. Likes:

cumberlandreds (06-06-2022),Ky Fried Redleg (06-06-2022),Ron Madden (06-06-2022)

I know I'm getting old when I am nostalgic for that old dump.

Quote Originally Posted by OldFashionedRed View Post
    I miss Riverfront
    Lots and lots of memories. Riverfront Stadium was so much a part of my childhood. Every time I made the the 170 mile trek to the Queen City from Corbin, KY, it was a new adventure all over again. When I caught a glimpse of Riverfront while crossing the bridge, my heart started racing. Every. Single. Time.

14. Likes:

Redsfan6272 (11-27-2022),Ron Madden (06-06-2022),Roy Tucker (06-06-2022)

Never been colder there than I was at that Bengals Playoff game, but every time I ever went to Candlestick it was freezing. Ocean cold is different than most colds, damp, to the bone cold
    I hear ya. Chills you right to the bone.

I cannot even imagine what it was like the day of the 59 degree below windchill playoff game. Can't even imagine. Is it true some fan died that day from the cold?

Cam Miller
    @cammillerfilms

The first time you walked through these gates, your life forever changed.

#RiverfrontRemembered

Photo here:
    https://mobile.twitter.com/cammiller...CxmYyTt7gqAAAA

Lots and lots of memories. Riverfront Stadium was so much a part of my childhood. Every time I made the the 170 mile trek to the Queen City from Corbin, KY, it was a new adventure all over again. When I caught a glimpse of Riverfront while crossing the bridge, my heart started racing. Every. Single. Time.
    My heart was racing because of those S curves on I71-75 on the KY side before they improved it.

Anyone ever nab one of those $3 "Top 6'ers " ?

I don't think we were Top 6 at my very first Reds' game in '71 but we weren't far from there. Sat high up in the red seats back behind home plate. In my mind, it couldn't have been better.

The only seats I never watched a game from were the yellow seats(best that I can remember).
    Last edited by Ky Fried Redleg; 06-06-2022 at 01:40 PM.

Anyone ever nab one of those $3 "Top 6'ers " ?

I don't think we were Top 6 at my very first Reds' game in '71 but we weren't far from there. Sat high up in the red seats back behind home plate. In my mind, it couldn't have been better.

The only seats I never watched a game from were the yellow seats(best that I can remember).
    First game I ever attended I had yellow seats. Sat in those maybe one time after that.

Here's a few other seats that stand out that I had in the time I went to old Riverfront:

Best seats I ever had were green seats behind home plate. My oldest brother worked at Seagrams in Lawrenceburg. He was high up there and had access to their season tickets just about anytime he wanted them. I used them a few times. Just a great view. They were ion the last row of that section, IIRC You could actually see the pitches break from those seats. I can remember seeing Bob Knepper pitch and he was breaking stuff off the table for a few innings, But when he started tiring the ball started rolling and hanging as it came in. Esasky got a hold of one those hangers and hit a pure laser beam into the yellow seats in LF. One of the most satisfying things happened one time in regards to those seats. As you all know the ushers could be real pains. I was by myself one time and sat down in my seat. One these ushers came up and real smugly said "let me see your ticket". I knew he was just itching to throw me out of there. So I just as smugly handed him the ticket and he got this look of shock on his face and just said "have a good evening young man". I was laughing inside really hard about that.

Myself and almost my entire family at the time were in 1st row of the LF seats on the July 1, 1973 doubleheader when we got the HR ball off Dave Lopes bat. We sat just above Pete Rose and I can remember he kept looking back up at us after that HR. I guess he was surprised it didn't bounce back out on the field.

Me and my brother sat in the CF green seats for the 1988 all star game. Not very good seats but it was just a thrill being there for such a high profile event.

I sat in the red seats quite a bit. The lower part of the Red seats really weren't bad. Especially if you were behind home plate. Very good view from there. But when you were really high you couldn't judge a fly ball or hardly tell what was going on. When I was really young and we sat up there I was scared of falling.

The first year the blue seats were open in RF I had tickets to a doubleheader against the Cardinals. They were pretty good seats. You felt like you very close to the field.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

20. Likes:

Cyclone792 (06-06-2022),goreds2 (07-04-2022),Ron Madden (06-06-2022),Roy Tucker (06-17-2022)

Lok forward to seeing the film. The memories. But I never liked that stadium. Cement mausoleum. The pidgeons needed an oxygen tank for the nose bleed section. The only thing I enjoyed was watching a game (infield) on astroturf, and the players perform. The good/great teams, the dynasty, the championships, Joe&Marty, these are what made that stadium bearable (IMO).
    Last edited by GAC; 06-06-2022 at 02:53 PM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

22. Likes:

Chip R (06-08-2022),Ron Madden (06-06-2022)

Really looking forward to this. Funny that a lot of things that immediately pop up in my head did pop up in my head and then 1 minute later I saw others post about them (such as cans, bottles and alcoholic beverages are not permitted in the stadium).

From a baseball aesthetic point of view, I hated that stadium. It was among the worst I've ever seen a ballgame in. But on the flip side some of my best childhood memories are of that place, and those are precious.

My grandfather was a long-time season ticket holder in the BRM era, and he'd take me to games in the 80s and early 90s. Oftentimes we wouldn't even need to buy tickets. He knew some of the fellas at the gate. "Slide right in here. Get in here. Get in here ... " and the next thing I know we're in. Then we'd head behind the plate, plaza level green section, where his long-time pal Jimmie would be stationed as an usher. Slip Jimmie a few bucks, and we had some seats wiped off and ready to go.

Later on when we did have to buy tickets it was $3 top six (eventually $5 top six). Then sit anywhere in the green level that was open. A few times before batting practice we'd have to temporarily exchange our stub for a "blue seat pass" during BP. Only rule was you had to return by the start of the game. It was on the honor system, but we always honored it cause I didn't want to screw it up for future games. Later during the game we'd always check the ramp down to the blue seats. Oftentimes an usher would guard it, but if he left his post we'd haul ace down the ramp to the blue seats and it was like finding premium seat freedom.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

24. Likes:

cumberlandreds (06-06-2022),Reds Freak (06-06-2022),Ron Madden (06-06-2022),Roy Tucker (06-17-2022),westofyou (06-06-2022)

Turn Off Ads?