Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Riverfront Remembered: A Film By Cam Miller

Re: Riverfront Remembered: A Film By Cam Miller

Most (if not all) of Riverfront’s “charm” is the post-season baseball played there. I’m sure GABP would be viewed much more fondly if the frequency and quality of post-season baseball existed. Unfortunately, a lot of below average baseball has been played there with the accompanying blah quality.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

2. Likes:

cumberlandreds (06-07-2022),Ron Madden (06-07-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Most (if not all) of Riverfront’s “charm” is the post-season baseball played there. I’m sure GABP would be viewed much more fondly if the frequency and quality of post-season baseball existed. Unfortunately, a lot of below average baseball has been played there with the accompanying blah quality.
    I thought football played well there

5. Likes:

bm1475 (06-08-2022),Ron Madden (06-07-2022),Roy Tucker (06-07-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Jaysland Red View Post
    I will always have fond memories of Riverfront. It’s where I saw my first ever game of baseball (living in England, I’d never even seen it on TV) and where I fell in love with baseball and the Reds. I remember reading an article when part of the stadium had been demolished during the construction of GABP in which fans were saying they much preferred the stadium with the new gap in it because of the views it gave, with some joking about why did they need the new stadium at all now Riverfront had been improved like that!
    I agree about it looking better after they knocked the back of it out. I wonder after they did that if it was regretted that GABP was ever built?
    Reds Fan Since 1971

7. Likes:

Cyclone792 (06-08-2022),Roy Tucker (06-07-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I thought football played well there
    Agree. Riverfront had more of the quality of George Carlin’s football stadium than his baseball park. Fans were a lot drunker too.

9. Likes:

cumberlandreds (06-07-2022),Ron Madden (06-07-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    I loved Crosley Field! From a baseball aesthetic point of view I prefer both Crosley Field and GABP to Riverfront but that in no way diminishes my many wonderful memories of Riverfront Stadium.
    Absolutely!!! Looking back, Riverfront was one of those cookie cutter stadiums that doesn't have the aesthetic appeal of some of the modern day parks but from a 9 y.o. boy's perspective 50 years ago , Riverfront was the greatest place ever!!!

11. Likes:

KeefeCato (06-07-2022),moewan (06-20-2022),Ron Madden (06-07-2022)

I prefer Riverfront to GABP. Probably because I saw my first game there and the teams they put on the field won 3 World Series during the Riverfront ERA.
    Though I never was in Crosley. GABP seems like a modern knockoff of Crosley. Seems like a fake version of it.

13. Likes:

Old school 1983 (06-19-2022)

GABP seems too over the top for my tastes.

15. Likes:

- The ramp leading to the blue seats smelled like weed.
    - "cans bottles, and alcoholic beverages" lady
    - And what was that weird rubber stuff in between slabs of concrete?
    - Catching the last bus at 10pm in government square in the mid 1980s after a Reds game, as a kid, was "an experience."
    - Top 6 and sneak into the blue seats, with sharpie and baseball cards. "Hey Mr. Oester!! Mr. Daniels!!!"
    - Better dodge those ushers though, when hopping the fence to blue. They had eyes in the back of their gray haired heads.
    - I don't recall a ball being tossed to a fan more than once or twice a game, if that.
    - There were these one seats, down the 3rd base line in the blue seats, in shallow left field. There were only two seats in the entire row, because of the angle. And you were right there up close and personal with the LFer.
    - The bathrooms were a different level of gross, and the toilet paper was scratchy.
    - The real fun was either, going around and sitting in as many different seats... which was the safer bet. Or, making a game of gradually moving down to the best seats you can sit in without getting busted by the ushers. I never made it behind the plate, but I got as close as front row right by the Reds dugout entrance. Not bad for a 5 dollar ticket.
    - In my older age, I now wonder if the ushers were really as bad as I thought they were. Or if we were as slick as we thought we were. We got away with a lot, and of all the games I went to as a kid, and I went to a lot of them, we never got kicked out once. The worst we got was "move on, kid..." I'm guessing the reality was, we got more eyerolls with nothing said or done from the ushers than anything else.
    - Walks do indeed haunt.
    - 1980s astroturf is hard. And hot, during the summer, even at night.
    - Sometimes it was nice to just stay up in top six, admire the views, and the summer breeze.
    - I thought those summers would last forever. Now I sound like a Bryan Adams song, great...
    Last edited by Bob Sheed; 06-07-2022 at 09:03 PM.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

17. Likes:

moewan (06-20-2022),Redsfaithful (06-17-2022),RiverRat13 (06-08-2022),Ron Madden (06-07-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    - The ramp leading to the blue seats smelled like weed.
    - "cans bottles, and alcoholic beverages" lady
    - And what was that weird rubber stuff in between slabs of concrete?
    - Catching the last bus at 10pm in government square in the mid 1980s after a Reds game, as a kid, was "an experience."
    - Top 6 and sneak into the blue seats, with sharpie and baseball cards. "Hey Mr. Oester!! Mr. Daniels!!!"
    - Better dodge those ushers though, when hopping the fence to blue. They had eyes in the back of their gray haired heads.
    - I don't recall a ball being tossed to a fan more than once or twice a game, if that.
    - There were these one seats, down the 3rd base line in the blue seats, in shallow left field. There were only two seats in the entire row, because of the angle. And you were right there up close and personal with the LFer.
    - The bathrooms were a different level of gross, and the toilet paper was scratchy.
    - The real fun was either, going around and sitting in as many different seats... which was the safer bet. Or, making a game of gradually moving down to the best seats you can sit in without getting busted by the ushers. I never made it behind the plate, but I got as close as front row right by the Reds dugout entrance. Not bad for a 5 dollar ticket.
    - In my older age, I now wonder if the ushers were really as bad as I thought they were. Or if we were as slick as we thought we were. We got away with a lot, and of all the games I went to as a kid, and I went to a lot of them, we never got kicked out once. The worst we got was "move on, kid..." I'm guessing the reality was, we got more eyerolls with nothing said or done from the ushers than anything else.
    - Walks do indeed haunt.
    - 1980s astroturf is hard. And hot, during the summer, even at night.
    - Sometimes it was nice to just stay up in top six, admire the views, and the summer breeze.
    - I thought those summers would last forever. Now I sound like a Bryan Adams song, great...
    The bathrooms were bliss compared to Tiger Stadium or Wrigley

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    The bathrooms were bliss compared to Tiger Stadium or Wrigley
    And much cleaner during Baseball Season than Football Season

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I agree about it looking better after they knocked the back of it out. I wonder after they did that if it was regretted that GABP was ever built?
    Not sure if they regretted GABP, but from a baseball aesthetic POV the stadium itself felt much nicer once they knocked the OF out from left field to right center. It actually sort of felt like a ballpark rather than a concrete bowl. Night games were neat with it knocked out too - no lights overlooking things beyond the fence. It just felt like a dark abyss. I remember being at this game (https://www.baseball-reference.com/b...00108070.shtml) and watching Barry Bonds hitting an absolute shot off Danny Graves out to center field in extra innings that soared over the wall and seemingly disappeared into the black sky.

I also remember they installed grass those years and dumped the turf. IIRC, I thought Larkin maybe paid for the grass installation himself.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

21. Likes:

cumberlandreds (06-08-2022),Old school 1983 (06-19-2022),Redsfaithful (06-17-2022),Ron Madden (06-08-2022),Roy Tucker (06-08-2022)

I remember going to an August Riverfront game at 4 pm when the temperature and humidity were both in the high 90’s. Waves of heat came shimmering off the astroturf like the Sahara desert. Reminded me of opening the door on a 500 degree oven.

23. Likes:

cumberlandreds (06-08-2022),Cyclone792 (06-08-2022),Redsfaithful (06-17-2022),Ron Madden (06-08-2022),westofyou (06-08-2022)

Cam Miller ������
    @cammillerfilms

It is becoming increasingly apparent that my film on Riverfront Stadium is my love letter to a love long gone. She was never meant to be a beauty queen or a trophy. Her beauty glowed from within. She was forever faithful and loved me as much as I loved her. #RiverfrontRemembered

We should have a date for the premiere next week. I look forward to sharing this with you and hope it gives you the goosebumps it gave me while making it. She will never leave us.

25. Likes:

RiverRat13 (06-08-2022)

Cam Miller
    @cammillerfilms

Tony Perez smacking one on York St. 1969.

https://mobile.twitter.com/cammiller...CzudGmyK4qAAAA

27. Likes:

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Very true. I also think GABP suffers from some of its cheesy, cringy game experience elements. The Godzilla cart thing, the "make some noise, make noise" fan prompts, and the mascots racing around in Cintas trucks is not as charming as the Riverfront quirks like the Walks Will Haunt style scoreboard graphics and the old school Mr. Red Race. But maybe they will become more endearing over time.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

29. Likes:

Old school 1983 (06-19-2022),Roy Tucker (06-17-2022),westofyou (06-08-2022)

Turn Off Ads?