Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Riverfront Remembered: A Film By Cam Miller

Re: Riverfront Remembered: A Film By Cam Miller

Well, I can't be the only one that cried

2. Likes:

Redsfan6272 (11-27-2022),RollyInRaleigh (12-01-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Chills. What a time warp.

What absolutely amazes me is how they went from groundbreaking in February 1968 to opening in Summer of 1970.

That is pretty good project management if you ask me.

I was just 4 when it opened. Were they supposed to open the 1970 season there, and it just wasn't finished in time? I know that Atlanta was going to host the All-Star game if it wasn't ready.

wow just watched it and it brought back so many many memories of my childhood and had tears in my eyes.. Seeing my 1st game in 1972, i was 10 years old and i was star struck as i walked in and seeing the field for my first time.. I remember sneaking down behind home-plate with my friends during a Giants Reds Doubleheader.. Bench was my favorite player and he didnt play in game 1.. We had seats maybe 10 rows back behind home plate. Johnny came up to bat his first time.. The scoreboard showed it was his parents anniversary.. I stood up and yelled "Hit a homer for your parents Johnny".. His family behind homeplate looked my way.. 2nd pitch he put it in the seats.. i will never forget that..

i went to a game ag the Braves and the seats were down the rightfield line. 1st seat by the field.. !st batter hit a fly ball down the line headed right to me.. i caught out of corner of my eye Griffey (Sr) coming, i backed off so he could jump up and catch the ball.

Saw the last Playoff Series winning game in 1995. Reds beat the Dodgers, , sadly never dreamed we fans would still not see another home clinching win in a postseason game...

I heard on the Radio Pete Rose Jr was being called up. hurried home from work to get my then wife and kids to go to the game.. got stuck in traffic and got to the parking area as the top of the 1st inning was over.. trying to walk fast to the gate, i heard the loud roar knowing i missed his 1st mlb hit..

took my oldest son who was 7 years old at the time..we got there for batting practice in RF.. we spread apart and Cliff Floyd hit one over my head it bounced back to me and i caught it. As i was turning around i heard some one yell "here comes another one", i turned in time to catch that ball as well and.got a cheer from the crowd.. my son looked at me with his eyes so wide and that smile i will never forget.

Went to the Pete Rose Final game softball game.. that was electric.. then after the game walking out for my final time i touched one of the cement pillars and said Thanks for the memories

My only regret, not going to the 1990 World Series games at home.. I just got out of the military and didnt have the funds and said "I will go to the next World Series".. Damn i never dreamed of this mess since 1990..I honestly thought 95 then 99 were our best chances but it never happened.Not to mention 94 when i felt we were going too but the dang strike screwed that up.

6. Likes:

cumberlandreds (11-27-2022),goreds2 (11-27-2022),Redsfaithful (11-27-2022),Roy Tucker (11-27-2022)

So many memories of that stadium!! my favorite memories are when growing up in Fairfield my parents would let me skip school usually on a thursday business man's special game 12:35 start, to go to the game!! as I entered high school I would just go with my little brother, he's gone now but the memories are still vivid today!!!

8. Likes:

Bob Sheed (11-27-2022),cumberlandreds (11-27-2022),goreds2 (11-27-2022)

A very enjoyable 29 minutes of viewing, full of memories. Riverfront is where my love affair with baseball started and, despite temptations (the Rogers Centre and the Jays), I am still with the Reds. The sad thing is that 32 years at the Riverfront gave Reds fans championships, World Series and a perfect game, whereas 20 years at the GAPB has given the fans Joey Votto and a few miserable postseason attempts.

10. Likes:

goreds2 (11-28-2022),Redsfan6272 (11-28-2022)

I could have , honestly, watched another three hours of this. So much of what the filmmaker said echoed my feelings about that old stadium. I remember being mesmerized when I caught my first glimpse of that green turf in August of '71.
    “It’s the mathematical potential for a single game to last forever, in a suspended world where no clock rules the day, that aligns baseball as much with the dead as the living.”
    ---- Bill Vaughn

"Science adjusts its views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved." ---Tim Minchin("Storm")

12. Likes:

goreds2 (11-28-2022),Redsfan6272 (11-28-2022)

My first Riverfront game was the All Star game in ‘70. I was almost 18 and took my little brother (my dad had gotten comp tickets).

But the thing was, I didn’t know where the stadium was. I was from Dayton and the only time I went to Cinci was going to Crosley Firld in a different part of town. My dad said just park downtown somewhere. So I consulted a map (pre Google map days) and drove downtown. Cut over off 75 about where Crosley was and cut across downtown. I think I parked on 4th or 5th St.

So we still hadn’t seen the stadium and just knew it was on the river. So we walked due south, cut around some buildings, followed where everyone else was walking, and WOW, there was the stadium. Huge (in those days) and modern and just stunning. My jaw dropped.

Went on into the ballgame and saw Richard Nixon and Rose score on Jim Hickman hit as Leo Durocher windmilled him around to ka-wham Ray Fosse. Exciting times.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

14. Likes:

cumberlandreds (11-29-2022),goreds2 (11-28-2022),moewan (11-29-2022),Redsfaithful (11-29-2022),Redsfan6272 (11-28-2022),RiverRat13 (11-28-2022),Ron Madden (11-28-2022)

Does anyone know where I can get a copy of the "cans bottles and alcoholic beverages" recording?
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

16. Likes:

RiverRat13 (12-09-2022)

Turn Off Ads?