Turn Off Ads?
Page 21 of 32 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast

Thread: Nick Krall: Aug.2nd Trade Deadline

Re: Nick Krall: Aug.2nd Trade Deadline

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    https://mobile.twitter.com/CharlieG_...95847597867009

Tommy Pham is still a believer.

“You've just got to add a piece or two and you have not only a contender but a team that everybody's looking at different.”

I’m thinking a legit closer and another legit outfield bat. I don’t think I can do it in two. A third baseman, Barrero or del a Cruz? Keep the rotation intact. More bullpen help. Votto Stephenson DH 1B help.
    The Reds only need two players. Willie Mays and Babe Ruth in their prime.

Oh, and five new relievers.

2. Likes:

Assembly Hall (07-06-2022),bm1475 (07-06-2022),icehole3 (07-06-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Not sure where “premium FA” comes from. I don’t envision that. I’m not talking about Cy Young winners, like Bauer at that time. I don’t think the Reds are ready to take on that kind of commitment. Even if they would.

But players in the range of $10 to, say, $18 million AAV for three years? Solid guys. Maybe a couple of excellent relievers at the lower end of the range. That’s what they should be adding now. Start to compile the infrastructure of a solid team.

I think the Reds would spend that money to avoid another embarrassing season.
    I think those are the types of free agents that should be avoided at all costs (like the guy we are currently trying to use an asset to get rid of). I'd rather do bounce back Pham types on a 1 year plus a mutual option.

Guys who signed for that range this offseason have been pretty "meh" (opening day age):

Chris Taylor (31)
    Avisail Garcia (30)
    Jorge Soler (30)
    Eddie Rosario (30) - Signed for 2 years $9M per
    Starling Marte (33) - Signed for $20M per
    Kyle Schwarber (29) - Signed for $20M per and has hit well
    Mark Canha (33) - Signed for 2 years $13M per
    Leury Garcia (31)
    Anthony Rizzo (32) - Signed for 2 years $16M per and has hit well

5. Likes:

boognish (07-07-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    That quote makes me wonder if he’s considering staying around next year
    If the Reds give him the highest offer.

This was Pham when he signed:

“I’m playing to get some numbers, I don’t care about anything else,” the outspoken Pham told reporters. “I got to look out for me. At the end of the day baseball is going to move on without me. I got to get mine right now.”

He slapped someone at work over couch cushion money. He will go wherever shows him the most love ($).

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    I think those are the types of free agents that should be avoided at all costs (like the guy we are currently trying to use an asset to get rid of). I'd rather do bounce back Pham types on a 1 year plus a mutual option.

Guys who signed for that range this offseason have been pretty "meh" (opening day age):

Chris Taylor (31)
    Avisail Garcia (30)
    Jorge Soler (30)
    Eddie Rosario (30) - Signed for 2 years $9M per
    Starling Marte (33) - Signed for $20M per
    Kyle Schwarber (29) - Signed for $20M per and has hit well
    Mark Canha (33) - Signed for 2 years $13M per
    Leury Garcia (31)
    Anthony Rizzo (32) - Signed for 2 years $16M per and has hit well
    One person’s meh is another person’s solid.

3-4 new Reds solid average players would help matters.

One person’s meh is another person’s solid.

3-4 new Reds solid average players would help matters.
    I'm not tying up half of my payroll for the next 3 years in "solid". If you are going to spend $45M, go big game hunting. You can find "solid" with bounce back or older guys on 1 year deals.

9. Likes:

Old school 1983 (07-06-2022),Ron Madden (07-06-2022),Wonderful Monds (07-06-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    I'm not tying up half of my payroll for the next 3 years in "solid". If you are going to spend $45M, go big game hunting. You can find "solid" with bounce back or older guys on 1 year deals.
    When you need 15 new players on your team, you might not want to put all your eggs in one basket.

There aren’t many contending teams built primarily with stop gaps and bounce backs.

Reds need a solid core. They can worry about superstars once that core is in place.
    Last edited by Kc61; 07-06-2022 at 06:20 PM.

When you need 15 new players on your team, you might not want to put all your eggs in one basket.

There aren’t many contending teams built primarily with stop gaps and bounce backs.

Reds need a solid core. They can worry about superstars once that core is in place.
    sounds like 2030 before we see that ugh

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    That quote makes me wonder if he’s considering staying around next year
    And that would make me wonder why?

Not sure where “premium FA” comes from. I don’t envision that. I’m not talking about Cy Young winners, like Bauer at that time. I don’t think the Reds are ready to take on that kind of commitment. Even if they would.

But players in the range of $10 to, say, $18 million AAV for three years? Solid guys. Maybe a couple of excellent relievers at the lower end of the range. That’s what they should be adding now. Start to compile the infrastructure of a solid team.

I think the Reds would spend that money to avoid another embarrassing season.
    I hope you are right, I am just skeptical that they will do any better then the FA they got this year.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

I'm going to guess Pham rejects the option to become a FA, assuming his numbers don't tank from here on out.

Hell, he'll probably be traded.

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdaddy67 View Post
    I'm going to guess Pham rejects the option to become a FA, assuming his numbers don't tank from here on out.

Hell, he'll probably be traded.
    It’s a mutual option. Both the team and the player must opt in. I doubt he’ll be back. Agree they’ll probably trade Pham for table scraps.

If you need 15 new players, you have no business tying up half your payroll for 3 "solid" players. If you have all that money tied up there's nothing left for them to acquire a superstar.

I just think free agents in that range are just as likely to be albatross contracts in 2 years than they are to be part of a core.

17. Likes:

Old school 1983 (07-07-2022)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Krall's move right now would be to tell the world that Castillo is off the market, because the Reds aren't getting offers commiserate with his value to the club. It would be a bluff -- minds can always change, but pulling him back with Montas and Mahle questionable would show teams that the Reds aren't just trading him to trade him.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

19. Likes:

BEETTLEBUG (07-07-2022),wlf WV (07-07-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Krall's move right now would be to tell the world that Castillo is off the market, because the Reds aren't getting offers commiserate with his value to the club. It would be a bluff -- minds can always change, but pulling him back with Montas and Mahle questionable would show teams that the Reds aren't just trading him to trade him.
    You mean like he did with Miley? That was a shrewd move to get back nothing for him. (I'm not against the tactic you suggest, its just that Krall doesn't understand the word "tactic").
    Where we gonna go?

21. Likes:

REDREAD (07-07-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Or he could just be blunt and say “Castillo is on the trade block, but at minimum, we will require the player we see see as your best offensive prospect and 2 additional prospects we consider top 10 in your organization. If that price is too steep they GTFOH.”
    What would you say.....ya do here?

23. Likes:

Bob Sheed (07-07-2022),wlf WV (07-07-2022)

Turn Off Ads?