Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Nick Krall: Aug.2nd Trade Deadline

Re: Nick Krall: Aug.2nd Trade Deadline

Drury, Castillo, Mahle should all be trading chips IMO. Not sure other teams will fall for a soon-to-be 30 yr old Drury's "breakout" season. But it's always about the return. And that's where faith and trust in this organization flies out the window. Has anyone ever heard anyone in managemenet, whether GM Krall or whoever, lay out their plan, and what their objectives are? It's musical chairs.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2. Likes:

REDREAD (06-22-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

I really think for guys like Drury, Pham, Minor and Naquin, the Reds approach should be to package them with a decent prospect in order to get a better prospect back. For example, if the Reds packaged Drury with say Williamson, we should be able to expect a top 40 or so prospect in return.

On their own, I don't expect these guys to bring anything other than fringe stuff back. The Reds should be into acquiring building blocks, not lottery tickets. We have all the Fraley, Freidl, Lopez, Moreta, Hendrix and Aquino types we need already and you can nab them for cheap every year. Those are the kind of guys these players will get in a deal on their own. Not really interested in dealing Drury for some other team's version Dauri Moreta, but that's what you'll likely get.
    Last edited by mth123; 06-22-2022 at 08:27 AM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

5. Likes:

REDREAD (06-22-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by TNRED View Post
    How about the Reds send their entire roster to the Dodgers in exchange for their roster?
    How about those guys help the Dodgers and the Reds got minor leaguers back sans the bad contract swap and guy coming off TJ. Betts is out. LA needs OF help. It makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I really think for guys like Drury, Pham, Minor and Naquin, the Reds approach should be to package them with a decent prospect in order to get a better prospect back. For example, if the Reds packaged Drury with say Williamson, we should be able to expect a top 40 or so prospect in return.

On their own, I don't expect these guys to bring anything other than fringe stuff back. The Reds should be into acquiring building blocks, not lottery tickets. We have all the Fraley, Freidl, Lopez, Moreta, Hendrix and Aquino types we need already and you can nab them for cheap every year. Those are the kind of guys these players will get in a deal on their own. Not really interested in dealing Drury for some other team's version Dauri Moreta, but that's what you'll likely get.
    I don't know if a contending team would care about getting a lower-level prospect in a deal, but if they are packaged with Mahle or Castillo I could see them helping push that deal through. That's where I would look. On their own they may not be worth much, but mmaybe use them to help push the bigger deals through. And quality over quantity. Take a risk on a couple of high-level guys, not a bundle of meh.

8. Likes:

Old school 1983 (06-22-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post

Trying to “trade up” with prospects is a high risk strategy. You’re using Drury’s value to swap a good prospect, Williamson, for a higher ranked prospect. But prospects are volatile, this strategy is too wedded to current prospect rankings. In a year, those rankings could flip flop very easily.

Prospect depth is important. Everyone can’t be in the top X or top Y. Use your scouting to get players who can contribute eventually. You aren’t getting superstars for Drury, Naquin, etc. in any event.
    Last edited by Kc61; 06-22-2022 at 08:40 AM.

10. Likes:

#13 (06-22-2022),bm1475 (06-22-2022),JCM11 (06-22-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    How about those guys help the Dodgers and the Reds got minor leaguers back sans the bad contract swap and guy coming off TJ. Betts is out. LA needs OF help. It makes sense.
    Is Bellinger a bad contract though? The team has bottomless pockets and can non-tender him after this season if he's bad enough. He's still performing better than Moose (and has MVP upside) with less commitment so I don't see the upside for the Dodgers taking on more term for a lesser player in both performance and versatility. I know it's part of a larger deal but it would be the Reds who would need to add (probably something fairly significant) for the swap to make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    Is Bellinger a bad contract though? The team has bottomless pockets and can non-tender him after this season if he's bad enough. He's still performing better than Moose (and has MVP upside) with less commitment so I don't see the upside for the Dodgers taking on more term for a lesser player in both performance and versatility. I know it's part of a larger deal but it would be the Reds who would need to add (probably something fairly significant) for the swap to make sense.
    Then nix that part. Betts is still out, and Pham and Naquin would provide a very solid platoon to cover that. I still think the deal makes sense without the Bellinger Moose part.

Then nix that part. Betts is still out, and Pham and Naquin would provide a very solid platoon to cover that. I still think the deal makes sense without the Bellinger Moose part.
    It's heavy, IMO. I think you could get 2 of them and some lower level guys but I'd be over the moon if they can pull it off.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Trying to “trade up” with prospects is a high risk strategy. You’re using Drury’s value to swap a good prospect, Williamson, for a higher ranked prospect. But prospects are volatile, this strategy is too wedded to current prospect rankings. In a year, those rankings could flip flop very easily.

Prospect depth is important. Everyone can’t be in the top X or top Y. Use your scouting to get players who can contribute eventually. You aren’t getting superstars for Drury, Naquin, etc. in any event.
    Depends on what "contribute eventually" means. If it means getting a player that can be an every day big league player, a key bench player or a late inning reliever who can help a team win, I agree. I just don't think they are getting anything like that for what they have to sell expect for Mahle and Castillo. If it means future major leaguer who can take-up space on a roster and not really do much production-wise to actually help the team win, (like Friedl, Fraley, Aquino, Moreta, Hendrix, etc) I'll pass. You can always find a body to stick on a roster and fill out a bullpen or a line-up while performing poorly. I don't have interest in acquiring more of those because the Reds will waste PAs and Innings on them while the team continues to lose.

I wouldn't include McLain, De La Cruz, Cerda or McGarry in a deal like that (unless the return was stupendous), but if I can throw a Rece Hinds or an Austin Hendrick in to a deal with Minor or Drury to get a better OF prospect back, I'd do it in a flash. Same with the pitchers, I wouldn't deal Greene, Lodolo or Ashcraft, but anyone else i'd do. I use the prospect rankings because its an easy reference to make my point, but it would of course be based on the Reds evaluation of the players involved. If some team that could use Drury has a pitcher that the Reds believe has a better chance of being a solid big leaguer than Williamson, they should absolutely add Williamson to get said pitcher. It may backfire, A lot of trades do, but the Reds should be playing the probabilities instead of hoping for longshots.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

15. Likes:

REDREAD (06-22-2022),Revering4Blue (06-22-2022)

It's heavy, IMO. I think you could get 2 of them and some lower level guys but I'd be over the moon if they can pull it off.
    What do you think the Reds would need to add?

What do you think the Reds would need to add?
    Probably prospects. I don't know that it's an "add" kind of thing. I just can't imagine the Dodgers saying "you know what will put us over the top this year? Replacing 15% of our roster with Reds"

18. Likes:

mth123 (06-22-2022),REDREAD (06-22-2022)

Probably prospects. I don't know that it's an "add" kind of thing. I just can't imagine the Dodgers saying "you know what will put us over the top this year? Replacing 15% of our roster with Reds"
    When one of them is Luis Castillo that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by TNRED View Post
    How about the Reds send their entire roster to the Dodgers in exchange for their roster?
    My inside source says it has been discussed by the two teams but the Reds were unable to make it work financially.
    “The guys we've had for the most part have been serviceable at this level.”

21. Likes:

757690 (06-22-2022),REDREAD (06-22-2022),Revering4Blue (06-22-2022)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Mets' woes continue...

Steve Gelbs
    @SteveGelbs
    Carlos Carrasco is coming out of the game, due to apparent injury. Just the absolute last thing the Mets need right now.
    3:12 PM · Jun 22, 2022
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

When one of them is Luis Castillo that helps.
    It does. I just see Castillo being worth 2 of the 3 with Pham being the sweetener that get you your pick of the 2. Naquin is kind of a throw in for a low level prospect, IMO. Neither Pham nor Naquin are something that will net you a 3rd elite asset.

Turn Off Ads?