Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kyle Farmer

Re: Kyle Farmer

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    If you get a strong return you can move Farmer. But he’s not a priority because Reds control him for two more years. Barrero hasn’t hit yet at AAA and having another capable shortstop around can’t hurt.

More of a priority to trade the big ticket pitchers and the impending free agents, like perhaps Drury.
    barrero raked at AAA last year, so you saying he "hasn't hit yet at AAA" is misleading. if you mean he hasn't hit much this year in a very small sample size at AAA, ok. but let's not ignore the fact he OPS'd over .900 at AAA last year.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Currently, what's broken on the 2022 Reds is not the SS

Stay tuned

4. Likes:

Assembly Hall (06-18-2022),HokieRed (06-18-2022),JFLegal (06-17-2022),Roy Tucker (06-18-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Currently, what's broken on the 2022 Reds is not the SS

Stay tuned
    true. and that's a credit to kyle farmer no doubt. he's now held down the starting SS job for the reds quite well for 1.5 years (offensively and defensively). i thought his numbers last year were due to a one-month mirage. however, might not have been a mirage at all.

With the utter failure of Senzel and Freidl to hold down CF I've come around to the idea of playing Barrero there. His defense is pretty good out there and it'd lower the pressure at the plate. Barrero could hold down CF nicely. I wanna see Elly become our shortstop.

7. Likes:

westofyou (06-17-2022)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by herbdizzle View Post
    With the utter failure of Senzel and Freidl to hold down CF I've come around to the idea of playing Barrero there. His defense is pretty good out there and it'd lower the pressure at the plate. Barrero could hold down CF nicely. I wanna see Elly become our shortstop.
    Didn’t we just go through playing a highly regarded prospect struggling to translate their bat to the big leagues out of position in CF?

Yes, I've pondered this in the last month too.

It adds pressure to Nick, allows ABs for Barrero in a position that doesn't make him a "Make it or break it" candidate too.

Multi -Position is the new sexy too, I'm all in

10. Likes:

mth123 (06-18-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Didn’t we just go through playing a highly regarded prospect struggling to translate their bat to the big leagues out of position in CF?
    Baseball is hard, but a bat guy should always hit. Glove guys are more malleable. The majority of guys who get into MLB are hitters first, then you have skill position guys., which should be CF and SS first. If a SS can turn into Devon White then sign me up

12. Likes:

Assembly Hall (06-18-2022)

I'm sorry, but I cannot get behind the notion of moving a quality young SS off position to accommodate a 32-year-old journeyman who's temporarily hitting above average for the first time in his life. I don't care if Farmer goes full "Bang the Drum Slowly", once the Reds think Barrero's got his bat back from his wrist injury Farmer needs to shift somewhere else. The only thing the Reds can get out of this season is they can start on the road to future respectability. Farmer will not be a part of that. Barrero, hopefully, will.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

14. Likes:

CaiGuy (06-18-2022),HokieRed (06-18-2022),LeatherPants (06-18-2022),MikeS21 (06-18-2022),Wonderful Monds (06-18-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I'm sorry, but I cannot get behind the notion of moving a quality young SS off position to accommodate a 32-year-old journeyman who's temporarily hitting above average for the first time in his life. I don't care if Farmer goes full "Bang the Drum Slowly", once the Reds think Barrero's got his bat back from his wrist injury Farmer needs to shift somewhere else. The only thing the Reds can get out of this season is they can start on the road to future respectability. Farmer will not be a part of that. Barrero, hopefully, will.
    After they trade Druery, slide India to 3rd and Farmer and Schrock to 2B. Barrero to SS

16. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (06-18-2022),CaiGuy (06-18-2022),HokieRed (06-18-2022),M2 (06-18-2022)

After they trade Druery, slide India to 3rd and Farmer and Schrock to 2B. Barrero to SS
    Works for me.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Leaves 2b for McLain when he is ready. I like it.

I'm not opposed to Barrero in CF long term but, unless this team is going to spend real $ this offseason to fill the corner OF and bullpen to compete next season, you don't get cute with it. Play the young guy at his natural position.
    Re: Elly, you can't make decisions about the major league roster based on a guy in A ball.

I have two positions I hold in equal regard:

1.) Farmer should not block Barrero from playing. We need to see if he sinks or swims, and playing time is the only path after owning AAA last year.

2.) Farmer will not yield a return of substance nor of value for what he brings. Many here for years have bemoaned the Reds not having a competent utility player. We have one, who is beloved in the clubhouse, and is affordable. Short of the Reds trading Farmer for an interesting prospect (someone with real warts, but great tools... total lottery ticket), they shouldn't do it.

Trading for some middling relief prospect or an all-glove CF with a pool noodle bat isn't worth it. If the Reds find health, some luck, and make some shrewd moves, contention next year is not out of the question and I think replacing Farmer's multi-position ability will be easier said than done. AKA, Farmer is the kind of player the Reds gift elsewhere for a team's 25th best prospect but would trade a 8-12 rank prospect for to get when they need it.

Keep Farmdawg, but play the kids. Farmer should have no trouble stealing ABs from our horrendous OF or keeping guys like Moose or Moran away from picking up a glove.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Let's stop talking about those people and shun them as they deserve.

Joey is a Red for life. I really don't care if there are people that don't like it.

21. Likes:

fondfoat (06-19-2022),mth123 (06-18-2022),RedsManRick (06-18-2022),Sea Ray (06-18-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    I have two positions I hold in equal regard:

1.) Farmer should not block Barrero from playing. We need to see if he sinks or swims, and playing time is the only path after owning AAA last year.

2.) Farmer will not yield a return of substance nor of value for what he brings. Many here for years have bemoaned the Reds not having a competent utility player. We have one, who is beloved in the clubhouse, and is affordable. Short of the Reds trading Farmer for an interesting prospect (someone with real warts, but great tools... total lottery ticket), they shouldn't do it.

Trading for some middling relief prospect or an all-glove CF with a pool noodle bat isn't worth it. If the Reds find health, some luck, and make some shrewd moves, contention next year is not out of the question and I think replacing Farmer's multi-position ability will be easier said than done. AKA, Farmer is the kind of player the Reds gift elsewhere for a team's 25th best prospect but would trade a 8-12 rank prospect for to get when they need it.

Keep Farmdawg, but play the kids. Farmer should have no trouble stealing ABs from our horrendous OF or keeping guys like Moose or Moran away from picking up a glove.
    Why do people keep referencing what Barrero did at AAA last year?

He’s currently struggling mightily at AAA THIS year. Im assuming he isn’t healthy yet, why call him up and have him struggle against MLB pitching a third time?

He has a .284 OBP at AAA right now, that’s horrendous.
    Last edited by RedTeamGo!; 06-18-2022 at 09:12 AM.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

23. Likes:

mth123 (06-18-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Why do people keep referencing what Barrero did at AAA last year?

He’s currently struggling mightily at AAA THIS year. Im assuming he isn’t healthy yet, why call him up and have him struggle against MLB pitching a third time?
    You answered your own question. The reason people keep referencing last year is because he isn't 100% yet this year. No reason to judge him on a small sample size where he's still getting back into playing shape

Turn Off Ads?