Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Reds swept by Brewers as they enter toughest stretch in schedule

Re: Reds swept by Brewers as they enter toughest stretch in schedule

No worries....we have Mike Minor back from the DL.

2. Likes:

REDREAD (06-20-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Name:  F95F1484-2621-4282-A612-3D2BEFEEC3FA.jpeg
Views: 349
Size:  67.0 KB

5. Likes:

dreghorntwo (06-21-2022),JFLegal (06-20-2022),NC Reds (06-20-2022),Old school 1983 (06-20-2022),Revering4Blue (06-20-2022),Roy Tucker (06-20-2022),SomeCallMeTim (06-20-2022)

the Milwaukee area has about the same population as the Reds population area, maybe even less as they have Chicago and hour to the south. There is no reason the Brewers contend and the Reds align their payroll to resources except for one - ownership in Cincinnati is about as bad as it can get in today's game. I can see the reds going 6-23 the next 29 days. They'll start to sell players for magic beans soon.

I hate this ownership group more and more every single day. They created this mess and basically the only way out is for an ownership change.

By the way, this division would've been competitive for the Reds with a few upgrades to the bullpen and Nick Castellanos batting 3rd, which could have been done by trading Gray, Winker and Suarez for some arms rather than trying to get "future" prospects for them.
    Where we gonna go?

7. Likes:

Falls City Beer (06-20-2022),REDREAD (06-20-2022),Redsfan6272 (06-21-2022),wlf WV (06-20-2022)

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    the Milwaukee area has about the same population as the Reds population area, maybe even less as they have Chicago and hour to the south. There is no reason the Brewers contend and the Reds align their payroll to resources except for one - ownership in Cincinnati is about as bad as it can get in today's game. I can see the reds going 6-23 the next 29 days. They'll start to sell players for magic beans soon.

I hate this ownership group more and more every single day. They created this mess and basically the only way out is for an ownership change.

By the way, this division would've been competitive for the Reds with a few upgrades to the bullpen and Nick Castellanos batting 3rd, which could have been done by trading Gray, Winker and Suarez for some arms rather than trying to get "future" prospects for them.
    The Brewers are owned by an out-of-towner. Unfortunately, it’s not in the Reds’ DNA for such a situation to materialize here. And of course, a front office comprised of personnel from similarly sized markets that have been successful - and that includes Milwaukee - would no doubt help immensely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

9. Likes:

Chip R (06-23-2022),M2 (06-21-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Article says this stretch of games should serve as a measuring stick for Reds. What? The team is 20 games under .500. That’s all the measuring anyone needs to do.
    I can tell you right now. The measuring stick is 6ft.

11. Likes:

Red Raindog (06-21-2022),Revering4Blue (06-21-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    The Brewers are owned by an out-of-towner. Unfortunately, it’s not in the Reds’ DNA for such a situation to materialize here. And of course, a front office comprised of personnel from similarly sized markets that have been successful - and that includes Milwaukee - would no doubt help immensely.
    To build on the conversation.. why would a great scout, great analytics guy, or any kind of great front office guy want to come here?
    This is a loser organization with cheap ownership.. Thus we get yes men like Krall who are just thrilled to have a job making important decisions about our club, because
    he's willing to dump salary when asked and be the potential scapegoat.
    I mean, if you were a very talented guy from Tampa, Cleveland or whatever, would you want to work in Miami, Pittsburg, or Cincinnati? They are all perennial losers with bad ownership.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    The Brewers are the organization the Reds should have wanted to be. They've been to the playoffs four years in a row. They're usually in the MLB top 10 in attendance. They've had winning seasons in 9 of the last 15 seasons. They keep a tight lid on their spending, but they routinely fill holes on their roster and make aggressive moves. That's a class organization that really deserves a World Series title (which they've never won).
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

14. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (06-21-2022),HokieRed (06-21-2022),KronoRed (06-21-2022),Mitri (06-21-2022),Old school 1983 (06-21-2022),Red Raindog (06-21-2022),REDREAD (06-21-2022),Revering4Blue (06-21-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Article says this stretch of games should serve as a measuring stick for Reds.
    I think we all know where that measuring stick is gonna end up.

There's a part of me this Summer that is glad I am unable to watch this team on TV so I don't end up saying "Gee, I wish I had that three hours and 15 minutes back!"
    Last edited by GAC; 06-21-2022 at 07:21 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

16. Likes:

REDREAD (06-21-2022),Revering4Blue (06-21-2022)

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    To build on the conversation.. why would a great scout, great analytics guy, or any kind of great front office guy want to come here?
    This is a loser organization with cheap ownership.. Thus we get yes men like Krall who are just thrilled to have a job making important decisions about our club, because
    he's willing to dump salary when asked and be the potential scapegoat.
    I mean, if you were a very talented guy from Tampa, Cleveland or whatever, would you want to work in Miami, Pittsburg, or Cincinnati? They are all perennial losers with bad ownership.
    Two answers to your main question:

There are only so many MLB jobs out there. It’s a very exclusive club.

RedTeamGo - if I’m not mistaken - brought up a really good point recently which provides this answer: The owners in Tampa, Cleveland, Miami et all aren’t really any worse than ‘ours’ in many respects. And many have even more stringent constraints in place and meddle. They simply hire better personnel who produce. No nepotism or ‘yes’ men there.

This franchise has simply gone to the promote from within well for far too long, and they need to cast the net wide yesterday.

Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

18. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (06-22-2022),757690 (06-21-2022),Chip R (06-23-2022),mth123 (06-21-2022),Old school 1983 (06-21-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    The Brewers are the organization the Reds should have wanted to be. They've been to the playoffs four years in a row. They're usually in the MLB top 10 in attendance. They've had winning seasons in 9 of the last 15 seasons. They keep a tight lid on their spending, but they routinely fill holes on their roster and make aggressive moves. That's a class organization that really deserves a World Series title (which they've never won).
    The aggressive moves part is what hits me the most. The Reds rarely do this. If anything they give too many chances, wait too long to move guys, or let obvious holes fester.

20. Likes:

M2 (06-21-2022),mth123 (06-21-2022),Revering4Blue (06-21-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    Two answers to your main question:

There are only so many MLB jobs out there. It’s a very exclusive club.

RedTeamGo - if I’m not mistaken - brought up a really good point recently which provides this answer: The owners in Tampa, Cleveland, Miami et all aren’t really any worse than ‘ours’ in many respects. And many have even more stringent constraints in place and meddle. They simply hire better personnel who produce. No nepotism or ‘yes’ men there.

This franchise has simply gone to the promote from within well for far too long, and they need to cast the net wide yesterday.

The "There's only so many MLB jobs out there" argument works for some people, like Krall.
    The truly talented people? Nope. Why would any up and coming GM candidate want to start here? IT would only stain his resume.
    He's probably better off staying at his current job and continuing to excel there.
    The truly talented people will always have job options.
    Cleveland and Tampa are correctly investing in scouting/analytics (whoever you want to give credit too).
    The Reds? Not really successful. Reds have done a horrible job at selecting prospects when they trade veterans (overall, there have been a few "hits" in the last 20 years).
    Reds have produced some talent from the draft, could do better though, especially when you look at a team like Cleveland.
    So let's say there's some hotshot analytics guy the Reds interview. Why would he want to join this cesspool of incompetence. He's most likely not going to be given the authority to "turn things around". He can have his budget pulled out from under him at any moment. Why join a franchise like Cincy or Pitts that literally does not care about the W-L results, only the financial results (Which rewards tanking). I've worked for some horrible (non-baseball) companies in my career. It's not worth being paid 10% more to deal with the nonsense and extra stress on a daily basis.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

If I had Bob's money. I would hire Theo Epstein and tell him do what it takes to make this franchise a yearly contender.. losing sucks and I would not tolerate it. Funny how Bob once said " We are not going to lose anymore" and wala he now accepts it. NOT ME!!!.

23. Likes:

REDREAD (06-21-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by LeatherPants View Post
    There aren't a whole lot of young players on this team really. Average age is over 30 right now.

India, Greene, and Ashcraft are the only ones on the active roster that are under 25, I believe.
    Further to this point:

wick
    @wickterrell
    ·
    8m
    Oldest average age of batters for the 2022 MLB season:

1) Yankees (30.6)
    2) Giants (30.4)
    3) Reds (30.1)
    4) Mets (29.8)
    5) Astros (29.8)
    6) Dodgers (29.7)
    7) Brewers (29.5)

6 playoff-bound clubs and whatever the hell it is the Reds are doing.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

25. Likes:

CesarGeronimo (06-21-2022),LeatherPants (06-21-2022),M2 (06-21-2022),REDREAD (06-21-2022),RiverRat13 (06-21-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Further to this point:
    One of these teams is not like the others. One of these teams just doesn't belong.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

27. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (06-22-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan6272 View Post
    If I had Bob's money. I would hire Theo Epstein and tell him do what it takes to make this franchise a yearly contender.. losing sucks and I would not tolerate it. Funny how Bob once said " We are not going to lose anymore" and wala he now accepts it. NOT ME!!!.
    Is Theo a Cincinnati Man. Any ties to anyone at all. Only a Cincinnatian will do here. No carpetbaggers

29. Likes:

REDREAD (06-21-2022),Revering4Blue (06-22-2022)

Turn Off Ads?