Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 67 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread: NCAA Football 2022

Re: NCAA Football 2022

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I dont remember a lot of these SEC/Southern football fans saying a word when OU and Texas went to the SEC but now USC and UCLA are going to the big ten: "College football is ruined"
    honestly....you must not have been listening...and I am not trying to be rude but the "outrage" was much louder about the SEC taking on Oklahoma and Texas. I think most people are just numb to it at this point.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I think the SEC goes for UNC next. Football is solid and basketball would be huge plus getting into that media market. Could see Virginia and/or Va Tech. Which leaves NC State or Duke and I think the SEC takes Raleigh and football over Dukes horrible football program despite basketball.
    maybe, but I would speculate that if the ACC gets raided, UNC and Virginia will be Big10 bound. They kind of look down on the SEC academically.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

2. Turn Off Ads?

It’s not ruined anymore than it was a year ago. The entire landscape has shifted.

What’s funny is that a year ago the B1G, PAC-12, and Big 12 got together in an “alliance” against the SEC and apparently it meant nothing.
    they know the color of each others eyes
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Those three are also AAU schools so they fit that blueprint. Guess it depends on who calls first. I’d imagine the B1G is going to expand west.
    If given the choice, I think the BIG10 would much rather expand into SEC country.....but it would take a UVa or UNC to get their attention.
    ― Marcus Aurelius

I read the SEC will possess 7 of the 10 most profitable brands in college athletics (once Texas joins).....I assume the other 3 are Ohio State, Michigan and Notre Dame?

- - - Updated - - -

still cannot imagine the Big 10 Presidents will be able to control themselves with Stanford and Cal just setting out there....
    ― Marcus Aurelius

AAU schools that the B1G could target: Oregon, Washington, Stanford, Cal, UNC, Duke, UVA, Georgia Tech. That gets them to 24, gets them into the Southeast, and gets them control of the West Coast. Lesser AAU possibilities but wouldn't surprise me: Colorado and Utah. Longshot AAU schools: Pitt, Arizona, and Missouri.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    AAU schools that the B1G could target: Oregon, Washington, Stanford, Cal, UNC, Duke, UVA, Georgia Tech. That gets them to 24, gets them into the Southeast, and gets them control of the West Coast. Lesser AAU possibilities but wouldn't surprise me: Colorado and Utah. Longshot AAU schools: Pitt, Arizona, and Missouri.
    I feel like the only way Stanford definitely receives an invite is that it was contingent on Notre Dame agreeing to join the conference. If Notre Dame doesn't request that, why not add Oregon, Washington and then one of Colorado, Utah, Arizona rather than Stanford? Those are the three large Pac-12 AAU schools in growing states.

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdaddy67 View Post
    I feel like the only way Stanford definitely receives an invite is that it was contingent on Notre Dame agreeing to join the conference. If Notre Dame doesn't request that, why not add Oregon, Washington and then one of Colorado, Utah, Arizona rather than Stanford? Those are the three large Pac-12 AAU schools in growing states.
    Stanford and Cal have a ton of research money. The B1G presidents would love to have them in the Big Ten Academic Alliance. And my understanding is that Cal and Stanford are a package deal.

9. Likes:

adkindo (07-02-2022),dfs (07-01-2022)

Stanford and Cal have a ton of research money. The B1G presidents would love to have them in the Big Ten Academic Alliance. And my understanding is that Cal and Stanford are a package deal.
    The Presidents may want them for academic reasons, but I doubt they add anything to the tv rights deal, which would be a deal breaker.

The Presidents may want them for academic reasons, but I doubt they add anything to the tv rights deal, which would be a deal breaker.
    Northern California has 15 million people, more than any current B1G state. And there are a ton of B1G alumni living in that area. They would add plenty to the TV rights deal.

Northern California has 15 million people, more than any current B1G state. And there are a ton of B1G alumni living in that area. They would add plenty to the TV rights deal
    They just got USC and UCLA, which are the main schools currently/historically for football and basketball. They don't have to add more California schools to get access to that.

Edit: The reason the Pac-12 couldn't sniff the tv rights of the SEC, Big Ten, etc. is because their footprint all overlaps. They're currently getting just over $20 mil a year. That's already being doubled by the Big Ten and SEC. The Big Ten could approach $100 mil once they negotiate next year.

Also, the SEC and Big Ten networks blow the Pac-12 Network out of the water, which continues to struggle. Their regional network only has 8.5 mil subscribers as of last year and it was falling. The national total was less than 15 million. It's basically a step above the Longhorn Network and that was before their two marquee programs left.
    Last edited by Coopdaddy67; 07-01-2022 at 05:01 PM.

13. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (07-02-2022),Revering4Blue (07-01-2022)

They just got USC and UCLA, which are the main schools currently/historically for football and basketball. They don't have to add more California schools to get access to that.

Edit: The reason the Pac-12 couldn't sniff the tv rights of the SEC, Big Ten, etc. is because their footprint all overlaps. They're currently getting just over $20 mil a year. That's already being doubled by the Big Ten and SEC. The Big Ten could approach $100 mil once they negotiate next year.

Also, the SEC and Big Ten networks blow the Pac-12 Network out of the water, which continues to struggle. Their regional network only has 8.5 mil subscribers as of last year and it was falling. The national total was less than 15 million. It's basically a step above the Longhorn Network and that was before their two marquee programs left.
    I might have agreed with this had the B1G not taken Maryland and Rutgers to try to get into the NY and DC markets. They would absolutely love to get the SF and Northern California markets. The other part of the TV puzzle is the sheer number of B1G alumni who live there. This was also part of the thinking of with Maryland and Rutgers. When OSU played Cal a few years ago, it looked like Berkeley had been invaded. So while that part of the country may not have enough Stanford and Cal fans on the surface, it does have enough Stanford, Cal, and (insert B1G school) fans to move the TV needle.

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

16. Likes:

Danny Serafini (07-01-2022)

I might have agreed with this had the B1G not taken Maryland and Rutgers to try to get into the NY and DC markets. They would absolutely love to get the SF and Northern California markets. The other part of the TV puzzle is the sheer number of B1G alumni who live there. This was also part of the thinking of with Maryland and Rutgers. When OSU played Cal a few years ago, it looked like Berkeley had been invaded. So while that part of the country may not have enough Stanford and Cal fans on the surface, it does have enough Stanford, Cal, and (insert B1G school) fans to move the TV needle.
    College football, markets and tv deals have changed dramatically over the last decade since Maryland/Rutgers joined the Big Ten. Conferences care about brands more than ever now.

The Big Ten is still going to get into the markets throughout California. Again, they don't need all the other California schools for that. If it mattered, the Pac-12 wouldn't be struggling and USC/UCLA wouldn't have even considered leaving.

18. Likes:

Revering4Blue (07-01-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    honestly....you must not have been listening...and I am not trying to be rude but the "outrage" was much louder about the SEC taking on Oklahoma and Texas. I think most people are just numb to it at this point.

- - - Updated - - -

maybe, but I would speculate that if the ACC gets raided, UNC and Virginia will be Big10 bound. They kind of look down on the SEC academically.
    We also heard forever that Texas would never join the SEC due to academics.
    Go Gators!

The idea behind adding a market is to get your conference TV network onto the basic cable tier and out of the optional tiers so you can get higher rights fees. Northern California cable systems aren't going to feel pressure to add the Big Ten Network to their basic tier because of USC and UCLA. Cal and Stanford would change that equation.

21. Likes:

Chip R (07-02-2022),RiverRat13 (07-02-2022)

Turn Off Ads?