Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 67 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast

Thread: NCAA Football 2022

Re: NCAA Football 2022

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    We also heard forever that Texas would never join the SEC due to academics.
    Exactly.

Any outrage over the B1G yesterday is fake news. It was expected they’d make a move. It is funny though when the other conferences banded up against the SEC last year and yesterday happened.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by bm1475 View Post
    The idea behind adding a market is to get your conference TV network onto the basic cable tier and out of the optional tiers so you can get higher rights fees. Northern California cable systems aren't going to feel pressure to add the Big Ten Network to their basic tier because of USC and UCLA. Cal and Stanford would change that equation.
    They haven't felt pressure for the entire run of the Pac-12 Network, which is exactly why it has been a failure. Not only have they struggled to get subscribers, but they were offering it for pennies (btw, where was the cost significantly higher? USC territory). Meanwhile, the Big Ten and SEC were charging a far higher price for their networks to be on basic tiers and have 3-4 times the amount of subscribers. It's pretty easy to see why USC and UCLA left.

Going forward, the Big Ten and SEC want to acquire program brands with rabid followings. They want to know fan bases will spend money to buy games, tickets and everything else you can imagine.

In the grand scheme of things, people don't care about the other California schools. Hell, even those California schools have shown they don't really care about athletics either.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    And ultimately the NCAA.
    Not really, you will just have a different governing body is all.

Exactly.

Any outrage over the B1G yesterday is fake news. It was expected they’d make a move. It is funny though when the other conferences banded up against the SEC last year and yesterday happened.
    I do not think it is fake news.....I am confident that what took place this past week will be detrimental to college football overall over the long run. If I am the Big10 do I make the move....probably if the money makes sense, but that does not mean it is good for the overall product. College football is becoming regionalized, and no region has been damaged by this trend more than the West. Weakening the only major conference West of the Rocky Mountains will only expedite that trend.

I think within 5 years of making the move, USC and UCLA will have flush athletic bank accounts.....but their athletic product will have been diminished. The first time USC visits the Big House, it will be a big national story.....a big story in traditional Big10 country....but only a slight buzz in Southern California. As a fan of WVU....a geographical outlier in a conference....I expect USC and UCLA Basketball (and non revenue sports) are about to enter a living hell (if the Big 10 does not add 2-4 more West Coast schools). On Sirius Radio they stated that Rutgers is closer to Iceland than Westwood....and the last time I checked UCLA was one of the only remaining major conference teams that did not utilize charter flights for basketball.....I have to assume that will change.

"If" the PAC12 tries to expand and remain viable, there is a part of me as a Big12 fan (WVU more specifically) that would not mind if they targeted BYU for the reasons of travel. I would be ok replacing BYU with USF, SMU or Memphis even though they do not have the same television value as BYU.
    Last edited by adkindo; 07-02-2022 at 08:45 PM.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

It is funny though when the other conferences banded up against the SEC last year and yesterday happened.
    Wetzel (Yahoo) crack me up when he said "how did 2 of the 3 Alliance members think they were on the same level with the 3rd member? It was clearly as case of Siegfried, Roy and a massive white lion! One of these is not like the other two.....and can take them out whenever he chooses."
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    "If" the PAC12 tries to expand and remain viable, there is a part of me as a Big12 fan (WVU more specifically) that would not mind if they targeted BYU for the reasons of travel. I would be ok replacing BYU with USF, SMU or Memphis even though they do not have the same television value as BYU.
    There's no way BYU is going to leave the Big XII for a conference that has had its future earning potential destroyed.

The Pac-12 is most likely going to lose 3 more schools if Notre Dame commits to joining the Big Ten.

The Pac-12 leftovers will desperately try to flee for the Big XII. Those that don't get an invite will combine with the Mountain West.

Until someone lays out a rational legal explanation or example, I think the ACC schools are untouchable unless the conference disbands (based on what has been reported/speculated publicly). No conference is going to take on a school (asset) when their rights are owned by another conference until 2036.....unless they agreed to almost no revenue share, and no school could survive until 2036 with no media revenue.
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdaddy67 View Post
    There's no way BYU is going to leave the Big XII for a conference that has had its future earning potential destroyed.

The Pac-12 is most likely going to lose 3 more schools if Notre Dame commits to joining the Big Ten.

The Pac-12 leftovers will desperately try to flee for the Big XII. Those that don't get an invite will combine with the Mountain West.
    I know anything can happen, but I would still bet my house that one thing that will not happen is Notre Dame becoming a full football member in the SEC or Big10.....it is just not going to happen. Notre Dame has a ton of leverage right now with the ACC, and I think is more likely to force the ACC to allow them a massive sweetheart deal to keep their NBC deal (or most of it) to join the ACC. If Notre Dame joins the ACC, the narrative of the Big10 and SEC breaking away to form their own playoff, etc. is DOA....because it would not be considered very legit without teams like FSU, Miami, or Clemson.....but it would have no legitimacy without Notre Dame, the most storied program in the history of college football.
    ― Marcus Aurelius

I know the ACC would not agree, but I think it would be good for the national product if the ACC added Notre Dame, WVU, Cincy and UCF......the rest of the Big12 and SMU(?) combined with the PAC12.....and the expansion came to a halt. The SEC and Big10 would still be superior conferences, but the ACC and the PAC 20(?) would remain relevant.
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Until someone lays out a rational legal explanation or example, I think the ACC schools are untouchable unless the conference disbands (based on what has been reported/speculated publicly). No conference is going to take on a school (asset) when their rights are owned by another conference until 2036.....unless they agreed to almost no revenue share, and no school could survive until 2036 with no media revenue.
    Let's say the SEC and Big Ten combine to take 8 teams from the ACC simultaneously. Will the GOR hold up? Who knows. Could those schools preparing to leave hold a conference vote to rescind the GOR? Once again, who knows.

There would potentially be a massive cost to leave the ACC for Notre Dame (rumored to be anywhere between $100-150 mil) and presumably more for full members.

With that said, there are projections of the Big Ten getting upwards of $100 mil/year with the additions of USC, UCLA, and Notre Dame. That a ton more than they're making now and ND's upfront cost to leave would be erased in a few years.

I know anything can happen, but I would still bet my house that one thing that will not happen is Notre Dame becoming a full football member in the SEC or Big10.....it is just not going to happen. Notre Dame has a ton of leverage right now with the ACC, and I think is more likely to force the ACC to allow them a massive sweetheart deal to keep their NBC deal (or most of it) to join the ACC. If Notre Dame joins the ACC, the narrative of the Big10 and SEC breaking away to form their own playoff, etc. is DOA....because it would not be considered very legit without teams like FSU, Miami, or Clemson.....but it would have no legitimacy without Notre Dame, the most storied program in the history of college football.
    No, they really don't. The writing is on the wall, which their AD admitted several months ago: the Big Ten and SEC are going to be the main conferences going forward and everything else is beneath them. They've already got a sweetheart deal with the ACC and it's not going to get any better. The Big Ten's tv deal is going to destroy anything ND can get as an independent.

There's a reason you see a lot of ND alums/analysts now saying it's time to join the Big Ten.
    Last edited by Coopdaddy67; 07-02-2022 at 09:51 PM.

^^^^ND alums and most have always claimed ND fit in the Big10.....yet ND has always affiliated with the conference that put their other sports in elite standing while creating the "best" path for the most wins on the football field. ND could have made more money in conferences than being independent with their NBC deal for years now....yet money has not guided their decisions....being special has guided their decision making. They will not be special in a conference with Ohio State or Alabama.
    ― Marcus Aurelius

13. Likes:

Chip R (07-03-2022)

The ACC might survive until 2036 or a probably a few years before that, it's actually not that far off when you consider this drive to super conferences started about 12 years ago.

Long term though it's just not gonna work out, they have too few marquee teams even with ND fully on board, they have a lot of basketball first schools and some baffling additions (BC anyone?) the SEC and big10 have 2-3 of those schools, it's about half of the ACC.

Clemson, fsu and um will be extremely grumpy in the coming years as the 2 majors rake in the cash.
    Go Gators!

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

^^^^ND alums and most have always claimed ND fit in the Big10.....yet ND has always affiliated with the conference that put their other sports in elite standing while creating the "best" path for the most wins on the football field. ND could have made more money in conferences than being independent with their NBC deal for years now....yet money has not guided their decisions....being special has guided their decision making. They will not be special in a conference with Ohio State or Alabama.
    What they feel is best for their football program has guided their decisions.

16. Likes:

Chip R (07-03-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    The ACC might survive until 2036 or a probably a few years before that, it's actually not that far off when you consider this drive to super conferences started about 12 years ago.

Long term though it's just not gonna work out, they have too few marquee teams even with ND fully on board, they have a lot of basketball first schools and some baffling additions (BC anyone?) the SEC and big10 have 2-3 of those schools, it's about half of the ACC.

Clemson, fsu and um will be extremely grumpy in the coming years as the 2 majors rake in the cash.
    Listening to the Solid Verbal podcast.....which is "solid", but not really known for any inside information.....it was stated that right now the ACC has a deal on the desk of Notre Dame to add Notre Dame and WVU (and I assume a whole bunch of selling points positive for ND). If ND agrees, the ACC will be able to fully renegotiate their deal while maintaining the GOA through 2036....basically locking the ACC in as a major (3rd) conference for the next decade. If Notre Dame officially rejects the offer, the feeling in the ACC is that the conference is not likely viable and will find a path to disband (# of teams exit). Again, this is a ton of speculation.....even more so because the public and media really do not know the details of the GOA or how many teams would have to exit to dissolve the agreement.

They also mentioned and sited a source that suggests adding Oregon and Washington (or Stanford/Cal) offers little to nothing financially to the Big10....and schools like UNC, Virginia, and Miami would be more financially lucrative for the Big10. Again, I am not sure if that is correct....only repeating the claims made. They went on to lay out a plan where Notre Dame says no to the ACC....agrees to join the Big10. Immediately enough ACC schools vote to dissolve the GOA, and the Big10 grabs ND, UNC, UVA, and potentially Miami.

They did claim as fact that for the first time in a long time contraction is on the table with several conferences.....followed by more expansion. Specifically they claimed that Rutgers and Maryland people were nervous and closely monitoring the situation.

Mentioned....not sure if sourced....that there is a belief that Missouri could end up in the Big10 with some level of semi blessing from the SEC.....assuming the SEC sees a school that they could add as a better fit. Speculated the SEC would look to add Clemson and FSU, WVU and Virginia Tech....and possibly swap NC State for Missouri. Vanderbilt was mentioned as a contraction candidate....but I still find that hard to believe.

Mostly just speculation created from small nuggets of facts.....but I have found these guys to be closer to right than wrong on most of these things over the years.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    What they feel is best for their football program has guided their decisions.
    ehh....if what they feel is the best path to 10 wins a year is best for the program, then I agree.
    Last edited by adkindo; 07-03-2022 at 11:11 AM.
    ― Marcus Aurelius

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Notre Dame...

https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...g-ten-playoff/

Per Yahoo!:

The UCLA Bruins and USC Trojans announced their departure for the Big Ten conference this week. The news came just one summer after Oklahoma and Texas voiced their plans to head to the SEC as late as the 2025 season.

Since the move, the Big 12 appears to be looking to become a third super conference. Not long after announcing a new conference commissioner, the Big 12 is reportedly looking at adding Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado, and Utah.

While the league would not compare to what the Big Ten and SEC are building, it would present a viable third option to the two powers and include more teams in the future of college football.

The Big 12 has already added teams that could become recruiting strongholds. Cincinnati, Houston, and UCF are based in talent-rich recruiting grounds and have strong support from alumni. A merger between the Big 12 and Pac-12 presents a best-case scenario for teams outside of newly formed super conferences.
    Last edited by Assembly Hall; 07-03-2022 at 05:56 PM.

Turn Off Ads?