Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 6/23 Odds and Ends

Re: 6/23 Odds and Ends

Alex McGarry just ripped one out to right (16), a three-run shot.

2. Likes:

wolfboy (08-19-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Alex McGarry just ripped one out to right (16), a three-run shot.
    His numbers have cratered lately. Slashing .140/.169/.298 in August. Be nice to see him finish strong.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    His numbers have cratered lately. Slashing .140/.169/.298 in August. Be nice to see him finish strong.
    I don't really get the RZ interest with him, he strikes me as the classic "org guy" type. He'd have to way overachieve, think .900-1.000 OPS, to make it to the bigs and get a shot.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

6. Likes:

Old school 1983 (08-19-2022),RedTeamGo! (08-25-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I don't really get the RZ interest with him, he strikes me as the classic "org guy" type. He'd have to way overachieve, think .900-1.000 OPS, to make it to the bigs and get a shot.
    I don't really recall too many on here who are super high on him. He did post a .939 OPS for 41 games in Dayton this year and started strong in Chattanooga. He has 26 home runs this season, but has a ton of swing and miss and he's also 24 already.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

I don't really recall too many on here who are super high on him. He did post a .939 OPS for 41 games in Dayton this year and started strong in Chattanooga. He has 26 home runs this season, but has a ton of swing and miss and he's also 24 already.
    It just seems like his name comes up more often than it should for an org guy, people sometimes include him in hypothetical Reds 2024 lineups. We're in even worse shape than I thought if that's the case.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Lookouts had a 7-2 lead in the 7th and lost 8-7. I'm not sure there's anything worthwhile in the Louisville or Chattanooga bullpens right now.
    -Walt Whitman

Lookouts had a 7-2 lead in the 7th and lost 8-7. I'm not sure there's anything worthwhile in the Louisville or Chattanooga bullpens right now.
    The pitching rotations for both squads are odd too. Lots of upper end talent that's been, frankly, seriously underwhelming. And the questions about each arm are plentiful.

- Boyle's been the most dominant. By far. But he can't hit a bull with a bass fiddle. There some massive worries about his approach and BB totals. I think he's a back of the bullpen reliever, but others might not prefer the three-walks, three-Ks approach he seems to have.
    - Levi Stoudt's got stuff nearly as good as Boyle's, but he was really hittable in both AA Arkansas and so far in AAA Louisville. I also think he's a back of the pen arm, but he'll have to find something to get there.
    - Connor Phillips has been nearly as Jeckyll and Hyde. The early promotion was very interesting, but he's probably a year away. (He does, IMO, have the highest likelihood of being a solid starter at the major league level.) That said, and stop me if you've heard this, his control is no bueno.
    - Brandon Williamson's got massive control issues that have largely been ignored because Joe Boyle's are even worse. Right now, he's probably the best arm they have as a fourth starter, but he screams swingman at this point.
    - Andrew Abbott was outstanding in Dayton and has been exposed in AA as hittable with a second-helping of poor control. He well could be a valuable chit as a LOOGY-- he was a reliever in college. That well could mean a return to good stuff. (That curve needs to return.)

I like all five arms as solid bullpen pieces and am still dreaming on Williamson/ Phillips finally figuring it out, stop nibbling, and throwing strikes. (I also think both Carson Spiers and Eduardo Salazar can carve out rather long careers as swingmen/ long relievers, if given a chance.) Were I GM, I'd bolster Greene, Lodolo, and Ashcraft with a combination of Williamson and Dunn at one spot and a rather expensive free agent starter at the other. (Think James Taillon/ Noah Syndergaard/ Mike Clevinger.) I might deal that starter at the trading deadline, rinse, wash, repeat the next season too. (Though there may be enough arms by that time.)

Oddly, I don't think I'd add much beyond that as depth. Few fifth starter candidates, as they do have plenty in Louisville who could well be tried.
    Last edited by Bourgeois Zee; 08-21-2022 at 10:23 AM.

TJ Hopkins homers in his first AAA at-bat.

12. Likes:

Old school 1983 (08-24-2022),Tuff Nut (08-25-2022)

Chase Petty with another superlative starting effort for the Dragons: 5 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 7 K.

Over his last 3 starts in High-A as a 19-year-old, Petty has this line: 13.2 IP, 7 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 3 BB, 20 K.

14. Likes:

Eric in IL (08-25-2022),mth123 (08-25-2022),OesterPoster (08-25-2022),Old school 1983 (08-24-2022),pedro (08-24-2022),Reds Freak (08-24-2022),RedTeamGo! (08-25-2022),Tuff Nut (08-25-2022)

I'm getting a bit excited about Hector Rodriguez. The 18-year-old had two triples and a single today in Daytona. He's up over .300 with an OPS north of 800 in low A.

If he should continue to hit like this, I'd love to see him in Dayton next season.

16. Likes:

Old school 1983 (08-24-2022),RED VAN HOT (08-25-2022),Reds Freak (08-24-2022),RedTeamGo! (08-25-2022)

Chase Petty with another superlative starting effort for the Dragons: 5 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 7 K.

Over his last 3 starts in High-A as a 19-year-old, Petty has this line: 13.2 IP, 7 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 3 BB, 20 K.
    Petty's turning into the ace SP prospect the Reds system desperately needs. If he's doing well in AA this time next year then we're in business.

18. Likes:

Old school 1983 (08-25-2022),RedTeamGo! (08-25-2022)

NM
    Last edited by MikeS21; 08-25-2022 at 01:08 PM.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

TJ Hopkins homers in his first AAA at-bat.
    Hopkins numbers are remarkably consistent in his three years as a pro. Nothing spectacular, but I see him competing for a 4/5th OF spot in the next few years.

Billings (2019) - .267/.332/.426
    Chattanooga (2021) - .268/.341/.436
    Chatt/Louisville (2022) - .265/.340/.475
    -Walt Whitman

A couple (maybe three) of pitchers going tonight down on the farm.

Daytona - Jose Acuna.
    Dayton - Javi Rivera
    Chattanooga - Joe Boyle (probably).

EDIT: Chattanooga's double-dip has been postponed, so no Joe Boyle tonight.
    Last edited by texasdave; 08-25-2022 at 06:52 PM.

A couple (maybe three) of pitchers going tonight down on the farm.

Daytona - Jose Acuna.
    Dayton - Javi Rivera
    Chattanooga - Joe Boyle (probably).

EDIT: Chattanooga's double-dip has been postponed, so no Joe Boyle tonight.
    The Lookouts need to get out of Mississippi. They haven't played all week.
    -Walt Whitman

23. Likes:

Old school 1983 (08-25-2022)

Turn Off Ads?