Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Down on the Farm

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Down on the Farm

I have caught 85% of the Reds games on TV or radio and a dozen Dragons games the same way, but I have not been in a ballpark yet this year. By this time in the season I have generally been to 5-10 games or better. This week my wife and I found ourselves at my first baseball game of the season - I had been kidding myself about not missing them. (She has been to 4-5).

On Thursday I had the good fortune to catch a game in Louisville. Sat just a little past 3rd base. My notes ...

1. The game was lightening fast ... had to be less than 2:15.
    2. Lots of "Reds" on the field. Lodolo, Barrero, Lopez, Moran, and Friedl.
    * Friedl is surprisingly small. Lopez is smaller.
    * Moran had 3 very nice defensive plays at 3B - he stood out. Was smooth, under control, and confident.
    * Barrero does not look right at the plate yet. Did not seem to have a plan. Didn't make solid contact in any plate appearance.
    * Lodolo was tossing heat. Did well and seemed confident in doing so.
    3. Cubs fans are only slightly annoying at the AAA level
    4. Older gentleman in Bats uniform (60+ left hander) tossed with the LF between innings. Was amazingly spry for his age. Made sure the youngest kids got baseballs along the line. Heard someone call him Mike? Interested to know if he was a former player at some level. Seemed to be enjoying himself. Ended up watching him quite a bit between innings.
    5. Beer selection was limited at the game. Ate at the RF BBQ place with was decent.
    6. Pro shop was limited. Much bigger selection at Dayton.

Guy aside us was in his 70s - noted he was at his first ever baseball game. Made for some interesting conversation.

Group of 8-10 guys behind us were in their 60s-70s. Heard a good bit of chatter about how times were better when LOU was under the St. Louis organization.

Enjoyed the game quite a bit. I think this is my 5th game at Lou and we will stop back if we are in the area.

GL

2. Likes:

757690 (06-26-2022),Boss-Hog (06-26-2022),cumberlandreds (06-25-2022),fondfoat (06-26-2022),Gallen5862 (06-26-2022),goreds2 (06-25-2022),icehole3 (06-26-2022),KeefeCato (06-26-2022),Patrick Bateman (06-27-2022),RED VAN HOT (06-26-2022),Redhook (06-25-2022),RedTeamGo! (06-25-2022),RiverRat13 (06-25-2022),Ron Madden (06-26-2022),Roy Tucker (06-26-2022),UKFlounder (06-25-2022),wlf WV (06-27-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Down on the Farm

yeah, i bet they do miss being affiliated with the cardinals. the cardinals are a first-class, winning organization. the reds are ... neither of those things.

the louisville redbirds were often quite successful if memory serves. the bats (riverbats before that) have been a disaster pretty much every year. it's because every season there's about 5-6 guys who are on the reds' roster all season or most of the season who should be playing in louisville. the reds sucking leads to the bats sucking.

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong View Post
    1. The game was lightening fast ... had to be less than 2:15.
    Went to a AA earlier this month and it came in at about that same length. It's amazing how much time gets chewed up by between innings commercial breaks.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Went to a AA earlier this month and it came in at about that same length. It's amazing how much time gets chewed up by between innings commercial breaks.
    And you never hear about shortening those breaks. They're making more time for them with pitch clocks and such.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    And you never hear about shortening those breaks. They're making more time for them with pitch clocks and such.
    It's a fairly intractable problem. TV money drives revenues. Only way they're ever going to address it is if attendance and viewership crater. I doubt there's any version of a "less is more" argument that will persuade them.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    It's a fairly intractable problem. TV money drives revenues. Only way they're ever going to address it is if attendance and viewership crater. I doubt there's any version of a "less is more" argument that will persuade them.
    It would be annoying to have more on screen marketing during the game, but would it possibly be worth if it made the games shorter while maintaining the advertising revenue? Could part of this problem be solved in a palatable way through use of the crawl, split screen, or other tech innovation in advertising?

Quote Originally Posted by CesarGeronimo View Post
    It would be annoying to have more on screen marketing during the game, but would it possibly be worth if it made the games shorter while maintaining the advertising revenue? Could part of this problem be solved in a palatable way through use of the crawl, split screen, or other tech innovation in advertising?
    They already do occasional short 10 second spots in between batters. I'm very much in favor of adding more of those and taking a 30 second spot out of each half inning.

I've also become a fan of the pitch clock after watching several minor league games this year. The action moves with pace without changing the essence of the game.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

10. Likes:

CesarGeronimo (06-29-2022)

Turn Off Ads?