Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts From Wrigley

Worth The Wait

Thoughts From Wrigley

This has become a bit of a tradition for me— traveling to see the Reds in various places and posting my thoughts and experiences here on RZ. Last year I made it to Coors with my then 9 year old boy and later in summer to KC with the boy and his then 12 year old sister. In previous years we also made it to STL (and his first ever MLB experience was at Kaufman in 2018).

This year, it’s Wrigley. Was hoping to make it one of two trips, but life schedules are making it look like this will be a one-series summer for us. Hoping to “make up for it” by going to 1-2 NFL games with them this fall. But I’ve come to cherish these trips and the time spent with the kids. This trip it’s just me and the boy. Thoughts thus far:

—Arrived in Chicago at 7:30am yesterday. You can imagine how early we had to get up to make that happen. Thankfully, uneventful air travel which is certainly no guarantee these days.

—He’s growing up in suburban OKC so my kids have little to no exposure to public transportation. Riding the EL train or Subway is almost an event in itself. Personally, while cheaper, I am sort of “over” these modes of transport when I travel to bigger cities. Kinda gross, everyone seems bummed out… Mostly willing to pay more for the convenience of Uber. Kinda of splitting that up on this trip.

—Did a bunch of touristy, sightseeing type of things yesterday. Hancock Building, Navy Pier, Ferris Wheel, etc. It’s a beautiful city. We are staying on the Gold Coast right off Lakeshore Drive and this area is fantastic. Weather has been perfect and Lake Michigan might as well be the ocean. It’s pretty and I really like the vibe in this area.

—I know some that have been going for years probably scoff at the commercialization of Wrigleyville but I’ve only been on two trips now and I think it still holds plenty of charm and wonder. Yeah you mix in a McDonalds and some chain stuff around now and I understand the rooftops have all been purchased and packaged, but many of the old taverns are still operating and it’s absolutely a unique neighborhood and atmosphere for pro sports.

—Our seats for Tuesday night weren’t great, but did have an incredible view of the partial sky line and Lake in distance. Sat upper level right around third base. Again can’t beat the weather. Game was interesting. Fast paced pitchers duel turned into a slog-fest. Game went from 100mph to 50mph in a snap. Funny thing is even though the early innings weren’t taking long, it still very much felt like “new school” baseball. I believe it was 17 combined K’s through five innings. Amazing.

—Castillo was great, but wow, talk about doing it the hard way. Sheesh, through 6 he threw over 40 more pitches than Thompson but still somehow outperformed him. Not necessarily easy to watch, but cool to see for sure.

—India’s HR was an absolute bomb— no doubt right off the bat. Seemed like other balls deep last night died a bit, but that one was gone in a hurry.

—I think Bell has earned some deserved criticism this year on various levels, but the current state of the bullpen is just a total roll of dice. I have no idea what to suggest to him inning to inning so therefore I won’t criticize anything he does there. Strickland seemed like the best option for the 9th even though it’s a bad one. Kuhnel almost blew it and Warren sort of got away with a fe hard hit balls. No lead is safe currently though. Again, credit Cubs fans as they got pretty loud there late.

—What I think I’ll always remember about this game was how intense it got in the 6th-9th innings. Two bad teams going nowhere; yet when Cubs had bases loaded in 6th with two outs and Gomes fouled off like 9 pitches from Castillo, the 32,000 were on their feet, loud, and you felt it your gut. My son was SO nervous that at one point he said he needed to use the restroom just so he could walk around and not be as nervous. He knows we are bad. But we look for silver linings. He organizes the helmets on his shelf in order of current overall league standings. He REALLY wants to move the Reds past the Nats, out of last. I also let him know that if we sweep the Cubs, we would pass them as well. He also knows about the “L” and “W” flags here and he really wanted them to fly that L. And he 100% did not want to present for a Cubs walk-off. So while the game means little to the baseball world, last night, it mattered to HIM— and that definitely ratcheted it up for me too. It was fun. I am glad they won; glad we won’t get swept, glad my son got to experience a W in a game that very much could have gone either way right down to the collision on the last out of the game.

—Day started in OKC at 3:30am and he was finally asleep back at the hotel around midnight. It was going to be a good day regardless, but the W makes it sweeter and even more memorable; so that’s kind of what’s on the line when we attend these games.

2. Likes:

Assembly Hall (06-30-2022),Big Red Smokey (07-06-2022),bm1475 (06-29-2022),Bob Sheed (06-29-2022),Boss-Hog (06-29-2022),Chip R (06-29-2022),cobike (06-30-2022),cr_redsfan (07-01-2022),cumberlandreds (06-29-2022),goreds2 (07-02-2022),icehole3 (06-29-2022),Indymoon (07-05-2022),JFLegal (06-29-2022),mbgrayson (07-01-2022),NebraskaRed (06-29-2022),Patrick Bateman (06-29-2022),Powel Crosley (06-29-2022),Rantly (07-01-2022),Red Raindog (06-29-2022),Redsfaithful (06-29-2022),Redsfan6272 (06-29-2022),RedsManRick (06-29-2022),Revering4Blue (06-29-2022),RiverRat13 (06-29-2022),RollyInRaleigh (06-29-2022),Ron Madden (06-29-2022),Roy Tucker (06-29-2022),Sassy Sal (06-29-2022),savafan (06-29-2022),StRedlegs900 (07-01-2022),Tom Servo (06-29-2022),UKFlounder (06-29-2022),VR (06-29-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Thoughts From Wrigley

Thanks for posting this.

I'm deep in the throes of red's depression. Have not watched or listened to more than a couple of innings of any game this year. It helps me to hear that this team matters to ....somebody, anybody.

My girls are of an age where they have their own lives When they travel, they always try and get to the park to see a game. Doesn't matter to them if it's major league or minor league. They never caught my love of the franchise, but they did catch my love of the game.

Traveling with my kids created some of the best memories I have. Enjoy it.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

5. Likes:

Ron Madden (06-29-2022)

I always enjoy reading your trip reports, Edskin. I live just a few more long Jonathan India home runs away from Wrigley, so it's great to hear you and your son are enjoying the experience. The Ricketts have chipped away at the character and grittiness of the neighborhood around the ballpark, but like you said it still has plenty of charm. I love going to games there and for the most part have enjoyed my interactions with Cubs fans in Chicago. Not sure where they get those neanderthals who invade GABP every time the Cubs are in town.

And I take the CTA nearly every day, either the bus or the train. It ain't that bad . If you are in town for the rest of the series, you might consider renting one of those Divvy bikes and riding up the Lakefront trail and enjoy seeing all the activity along the lake (bikers, runners, beach volleyball, softball games, soccer games, etc.). Find a dock near the Waveland exit on the trail and walk a handful of blocks west to the ballpark.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

7. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (07-04-2022),cumberlandreds (06-29-2022),Edskin (06-29-2022),Ron Madden (06-29-2022)

I love going to Wrigley Field and will fight anyone who says bad things about the place!

So I'm quite jealous!

9. Likes:

Assembly Hall (06-30-2022)

what hotel did you stay in? Thinking of taking my boys to a game there later this summer - I want to stay downtown but I worry about getting a hotel in a bad neighborhood.

Worth The Wait

Quote Originally Posted by dfs View Post
    Thanks for posting this.

I'm deep in the throes of red's depression. Have not watched or listened to more than a couple of innings of any game this year. It helps me to hear that this team matters to ....somebody, anybody.

My girls are of an age where they have their own lives When they travel, they always try and get to the park to see a game. Doesn't matter to them if it's major league or minor league. They never caught my love of the franchise, but they did catch my love of the game.

Traveling with my kids created some of the best memories I have. Enjoy it.
    I’ve said this many, many times about my favorite NFL team, but it 100% applies to the Reds as well:

I am not going to let the Reds, ruin the Reds for me. I love baseball as a sport, but I probably love the Reds even more. Their success/failure really matters to me. You can psychoanalyze that all you want and perhaps it would yield results would yield some telling things about me personally, but either way, it’s the truth. Now, certainly come August assuming they remain bottom feeders my day to day attention on them will wane and by September I’ll likely just be box score checking only, but every year I hold on as long as I possibly can. I’ve watched every game this year; for whatever reason, I remain interested. Perhaps in part due to the fact that we had this trip on the books so I wanted to squeeze whatever we could at least until we got here. By Thursday this will be our 13th live Reds game together, five different series in four different cities. In each place we explore, eat fun stuff, break our normal rules/routines, get to the park early, and root on the Reds. Now, you could say we could do that with any team, anywhere and it should be just as meaningful and fun. But it’s not. For whatever reason, it needs to be the Reds. So this is what we do. I hope we do it forever; I hope one summer we go see them and then make a trip in the fall to see them in October again.

12. Likes:

Chip R (06-29-2022),mbgrayson (07-01-2022),Ron Madden (06-29-2022),Roy Tucker (06-29-2022),westofyou (06-29-2022)

Worth The Wait

Quote Originally Posted by mgbrown66 View Post
    what hotel did you stay in? Thinking of taking my boys to a game there later this summer - I want to stay downtown but I worry about getting a hotel in a bad neighborhood.
    I’m no Chicago expert, but I did my best research and everything I read said the Gold Coast area was a very safe bet. I am finding that to be 100% spot on. Lots of high end residences here, just blocks from Lakeshore and beaches. Plenty of hotels to choose from— might want to be aware that some of the historic or boutique hotels, while nice, have pretty small rooms— something to note if traveling with multiple kids. But if you book anything in the direct vicinity of Gold Coast, you should be totally fine. I feel 100% comfortable walking around. Easy walk to the EL station which drops you right at Wrigley after about a 10-15 minute ride. We decided to Uber back after game due to mass of humanity lining up for train post game.

Quote Originally Posted by Edskin View Post
    I’ve said this many, many times about my favorite NFL team, but it 100% applies to the Reds as well:

I am not going to let the Reds, ruin the Reds for me. I love baseball as a sport, but I probably love the Reds even more. Their success/failure really matters to me. You can psychoanalyze that all you want and perhaps it would yield results would yield some telling things about me personally, but either way, it’s the truth. Now, certainly come August assuming they remain bottom feeders my day to day attention on them will wane and by September I’ll likely just be box score checking only, but every year I hold on as long as I possibly can. I’ve watched every game this year; for whatever reason, I remain interested. Perhaps in part due to the fact that we had this trip on the books so I wanted to squeeze whatever we could at least until we got here. By Thursday this will be our 13th live Reds game together, five different series in four different cities. In each place we explore, eat fun stuff, break our normal rules/routines, get to the park early, and root on the Reds. Now, you could say we could do that with any team, anywhere and it should be just as meaningful and fun. But it’s not. For whatever reason, it needs to be the Reds. So this is what we do. I hope we do it forever; I hope one summer we go see them and then make a trip in the fall to see them in October again.
    Good for you

Baseball and sports are entertainment, they are supposed to be fun, enjoy them with loved ones or alone. But always remember that it's supposed to be enjoyable, not a jail sentence.

15. Likes:

CySeymour (06-29-2022),dfs (06-29-2022),Edskin (06-29-2022),Ron Madden (06-29-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by mgbrown66 View Post
    I'd look in the north part of town, the neighborhoods are all pretty nice up there and if closer to the park it's a better experience.

https://travel.usnews.com/Hotels/Chi...y_Field_32714/

Worth The Wait

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Good for you

Baseball and sports are entertainment, they are supposed to be fun, enjoy them with loved ones or alone. But always remember that it's supposed to be enjoyable, not a jail sentence.
    Exactly. And to be clear, I DO enjoy good seasons more than bad ones. A lot more actually. I’m just saying that in the bad seasons I squeeze as much juice as I can until my hands are just too tired. That hasn’t happened yet in 2022. Obviously this season is over in terms of making playoffs, but I guess I’m still holding onto some hope that this could still be a “positive” season rather than the first step in whatever level rebuild would be next. I feel like there are some bones to this team and a total tear-down isn’t really necessary. The more they win, the more that theory holds.

18. Likes:

Ron Madden (06-29-2022),westofyou (06-29-2022)

I had an ongoing yearly conference until 2019 at the Sofitel which is a couple of blocks off Michigan Ave. which is a really nice hotel and easy access to the subway. One year I was there over Labor day weekend and saw the Cubs on Friday and the White Sox on Monday, both right on that subway line. Good restaurants there as well.
    Where we gonna go?

I didnt leave anything in Wrigley or Chicago either one.

Travelled a lot to Chicago on business pre-pandemic. Would usually be up there several weeks out of the year. Great city to visit in the late spring, summer, and early fall. Winter, not so much.

22. Likes:

westofyou (06-29-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by 0-2 Count View Post
    Travelled a lot to Chicago on business pre-pandemic. Would usually be up there several weeks out of the year. Great city to visit in the late spring, summer, and early fall. Winter, not so much.
    Winter in the Loop is brutal

24. Likes:

Chip R (06-30-2022)

Worth The Wait

Day two…

—You can tell my son lives in a landlocked state. I let him swim at the beach off Lakeshore and he had the greatest time. Again, it’s amazing that’s a lake and not the ocean. Pretty legit waves. He had such a great time exploring, being a goof, and entertaining himself in the water. It was pulling teeth to get him to leave.

—Spent a little time down by Northerly Island, the Field Museum, and Solider Field. I’ll out myself— I’m not a real museum guy so we didn’t go in, but the exterior is extremely impressive. I also almost walked straight in to Solider Field as the gates were open and no security, but my son actually stopped me and wouldn’t do it. I tried to explain the whole “better to ask forgiveness than permission” thing, but who knows, maybe he stopped me from getting arrested today.

—Got into Wrigley right when gates opened. Not all that many people gathering around Reds dugout or seeking autographs. Far fewer than in either Denver or KC last year which kind of surprised me. In general, I’d also say fewer Reds fans here than at either of those other places (at least when adjusted for volume) and that surprises me as well. Two very nice ushers chatted us up and provided some tips. We were legit five feet from the field— before my son could even strategize, Freddie B tossed him a ball. That’s his third now that’s been giving to him directly by a Reds player or staff member.

—Neither myself or my son are very pushy or vocal towards the players. Would have been easy tonight with so few gathering for BP, but not really our style. I did holler at Votto to see if he’d give a little nod or smile, but no dice tonight. In general he did not seem overly interested in fan interaction tonight. After the game started one of the ushers took my son down to the net near the on deck circle to see if Votto would give a fist bump or a quick pose for a pic, but no dice-/ he was not interested in that. For the record, I do not hold this against players AT ALL. They are there doing a job; if they want to be interactive/friendly, great. If they want to ignore and focus on their job, I totally understand and would never judge them negatively for it. Might be a slight twinge of disappointment if a player you admire chooses to ignore you, but I figure gotta have thicker skin than to get bent out of shape over it. No biggie whatsoever.

—Kind usher did bring my son a pen (we aren’t autograph seekers) and gave him a tip on where to stand. Again, Votto bypassed this after BP, but Farmer was willing to sign for all those milling around and this included my son. So Freddie B gave him a ball and Farmer signed it. My son was thrilled and that’s a great souvenir from the trip. Of all the guys tonight, I’d say Farmer was most willing to oblige the fans— I saw India sign a few things as well. But again, for most part, fans weren’t hounding them much tonight.

—Our seats were great tonight— about 8 rows back right near Reds on deck circle. My son would close his eyes and try and guess which pitch Greene threw based on the sound. Man, that glove pops when he releases the heat. Very impressive. He was a little disappointing tonight, but not awful. Still a long way to go for Greene but love that he’s had a handful of dominant outings. Was hoping maybe we’d get on of those, but alas.

—Game was pretty uneventful overall. We missed some great opportunities to score and the Cubs made the most of their hits. We sat two rows behind what I believe was Almora’s family; he was clearly chatting with them while on deck.

—For the first time ever, we left a game early. After top of the 8th. Wanted to beat traffic back to hotel and just didn’t have enough faith that we could overcome a five run deficit.

—Well, we won’t realize the dream of witnessing our first three game sweep of the season, but my son has never seen them lose a series, so that streak is on the line tomorrow night. He’s seen them sweep a two games series, split a 2 game series, and win 2/3 in two other trips. So he’s 8-4 now which considering our winning % over that span is pretty fortunate. It’s a steak he hopes to maintain tomorrow
    Last edited by Edskin; 06-30-2022 at 01:09 AM.

26. Likes:

Chip R (06-30-2022),cumberlandreds (06-30-2022),mbgrayson (07-01-2022),Ron Madden (06-30-2022),Roy Tucker (07-01-2022)

Turn Off Ads?