Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thoughts From Wrigley

Re: Thoughts From Wrigley

Yep Votto has talked about his preparations before a game and how he gets locked in during BP etc...all in all it sounds like a great trip though. My fondest memories of my Dad are going to the Vet in Philly to see the Reds play, Eric Davis homered.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Worth The Wait

Day Three…

—Did the architecture tour this morning. I think what I took away most from it was the guide saying that the water in the river has been rated as being somewhere between “highly polluted and toxic.” It’s a nice little tour though, the history here is pretty remarkable. I am certainly awestruck that man can create all of this. Also a bit taken aback by how many people live in this area. I absolutely see the upside, but there is no chance I could hack it as a downtown resident in a major US city. Perhaps if money was no object, but even then I’d likely choose something else. Regardless, it’s a nice way to spend 90 minutes; pretty informative.

—Not a deep dish guy, but had to do it while we were here. My son gave it a thumbs up.

—Last year on the last game of the series we attended in KC, we went to get a late breakfast before heading to the stadium, and the waiter saw our Reds gear and told us we missed Votto by 5 minutes. We’ve joked about that for a year now. Today as we were eating pizza, I said “oh my God, don’t look now, but Votto is here!” I think he only bought it for a half second, but still…. So he didn’t bat an eye on our walk back to the hotel when I said “dude, there’s India!” But this time I wasn’t joking. He was eating lunch at an outdoor patio on Rush Street. I did not feel it was appropriate at all to approach him or even call his name in that setting so we didn’t. But I did have my son stop to look and get confirmation. For those who care, his hair was in a bun/ponytail.

—WAY warmer today and my son convinced me to let him go back and swim in the lake. Legit 50 times busier this afternoon than when went Tuesday morning but he had fun once again.

—Ate dinner at tiny spot called 3rd Coast Cafe. It was tasty, but what I really liked was the atmosphere. Old, somewhat untouched by time, with what I assume were lots of locals inside— mostly older folks. Love finding neighborhood places like that.

—Game was a bummer. Just not much to get excited about tonight as a Reds fan. The Votto HR was a no-doubter and I told my son that maybe someday he will be able to say he saw a HOF’er hit a bomb at Wrigley. Ashcraft just didn’t have it tonight at all; missed his good stuff by one start I guess. For the second night in a row we went ahead and left after the top of the 8th, not typical for us at all, but these past two nights held zero drama being down so big. So we missed the Schrock mound experience.

—Small complaint here about Bell. This season is clearly not his “fault” by any means. There are big things here that are problems. His current bullpen choices are terrible. He can’t do anything about that. Rookie SP are up and down, lots of injuries across the board. He can’t control or alleviate any of that. But it bugs me that the Reds ALSO stink at the little things. I’d say body language, energy, etc also isn’t the best. They looked dead right from the jump tonight. Senzel made a bonehead decision in the first throwing to third allowing a runner to get to second. Votto made a dumb mistake trying to stretch for double. Ashcraft fell asleep and allowed a runner to steal basically walking to second. Farmer caught stealing on a flailing attempt by Moose on a 3-2 count. This all happened in the first inning and a half before the game was out of hand. To be quite honest, I was disappointed in the effort tonight, even though that is admittedly an arbitrary thing to judge.

—Don’t want to totally trash the guy, but if you told me Moose was a fan from the bleachers that won a “Be a Big Leaguer for a Day” contest I would have bought it. Everything looks bad; slow, plodding, swinging wildly at pitch after pitch at his shoelaces. He did get an RBI late, but he just looks horrid. Looks like a guy that in deep into his 30s on a bad team that got paid and has checked out. I am not actually accusing him of doing that. He might be working harder than anyone on the team for all I know; but that’s my perception.

—When you go to a series you hope your team wins, and if not, you hope to see some cool things at least. This series didn’t really deliver that. Kind of non-descript games. Opener wasn’t bad and had a tense ending. But the whole series was misery on the mound for us. Even Castillo— great stat line ultimately, but you can’t work harder thru 6 than he did to achieve those 0 ER. Man it was a grind. And then once he left the game Tuesday, pretty much everyone else that took the ball was either really bad or just escaped being really bad. Bats didn’t do much all series either. Probably fortunate we didn’t get swept. When you book a trip like this you understand you are giving it up to the Baseball Gods in terms of what you might get once the first pitch is thrown. Somewhat disappointed in what we got, but again, this is a bad team basically doing what bad teams do and I should probably be glad we didn’t suffer the indignity of getting swept. I also guess you could say a 3-3 road trip isn’t bat at all for this group.

—A little afraid I might start losing interest when we get home. Was highly motivated to stay fully invested at least until this trip was over. Might be hard to sustain now. Braves, Mets, Rays, Yankees on deck— yikes! Could be looking again at those “historically bad” outcomes if this stretch doesn’t go well. I’ll be rooting for them to have a good showing.

—Well, it was a whirlwind 72 hours. Great fun overall. My son throughly enjoyed himself. Probably can’t quite yet grasp the level of history he experienced being at Wrigley, but I’m hope someday he will remember his first trip here fondly. I told him he can pay me back someday by taking me with him when he brings his son (or daughter). It is a special place. Grateful for the time spent there.

—Cross Wrigley off the list. That’s five series and four cities/parks for him. He’s 8-5 which is darn good considering it’s the Reds. His #1 destination remains GAB. Really hoping we can make that happen next summer.

4. Likes:

bm1475 (07-01-2022),Boss-Hog (07-01-2022),Chip R (07-01-2022),cr_redsfan (07-01-2022),cumberlandreds (07-01-2022),mbgrayson (07-02-2022),Rantly (07-01-2022),RedsfaninMT (07-01-2022),Ron Madden (07-01-2022),Roy Tucker (07-01-2022),StRedlegs900 (07-01-2022),TNRED (07-01-2022),Tuff Nut (07-01-2022),UKFlounder (07-01-2022),wally post (07-01-2022),westofyou (07-01-2022)

Sounds like you guys had a great time.

When I took the family (and in-laws) to Chicago, we did the architecture tour on the river too. I thought it was fascinating. We saw the Reds at Wrigley too. Just one game though. Late 90’s. Cramming 7 of us in a taxi was an experience (pre-Uber days).
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

6. Likes:

Edskin (07-01-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by mgbrown66 View Post
    what hotel did you stay in? Thinking of taking my boys to a game there later this summer - I want to stay downtown but I worry about getting a hotel in a bad neighborhood.
    The only hotels found in the “bad” neighborhoods are SROs not listed online. If you’re paying a decent price there’s a 99% chance it’s in a desirable part of Chicago…

8. Likes:

Tom Servo (07-04-2022)

Turn Off Ads?