Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 71 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds Trade Rumor Discussion

Re: Reds Trade Rumors

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    It's worth remembering that the original rumor said the Reds are willing to send significant cash along with Moose's contract.
    The Reds should be the team willing to take back a bad contract in order to get better prospects. They aren't going to win in 2023 and only have two guys to pay once Castillo and Mahle are gone.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

2. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (07-04-2022),Benihana (07-05-2022),CesarGeronimo (07-04-2022),Coopdaddy67 (07-05-2022),Edd Roush (07-04-2022),HammerTime (07-11-2022),mth123 (07-05-2022),ochoa30 (07-05-2022),REDREAD (07-06-2022),Revering4Blue (07-06-2022),Wonderful Monds (07-05-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Maybe I'm missing something with Grove, but I just don't see it. His numbers in the minors are terrible and he's nearly 26 years old. If the Reds are getting a 3rd piece, I'd much rather it be a younger guy with a high ceiling.

Feel like the Reds should be able to do a bit better than that given Berrios deal and Montas' injury status.

5. Likes:

Hubba (07-05-2022),mth123 (07-05-2022)

Free agency is seductive. So much so that we are getting hot and bothered around here to give away or use assets to purge our last round of free agents so we can sign more free agents

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    Free agency is seductive. So much so that we are getting hot and bothered around here to give away or use assets to purge our last round of free agents so we can sign more free agents
    Trades for prospects are seductive. Reds trade some of their best players to pile them up. They are relatively unblemished with the promise of stardom in the big leagues.

And then little by little the warts appear with the Reds often left with a bucket of ashes.
    Last edited by Kc61; 07-04-2022 at 09:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by schroomytunes View Post
    I actually think a trade with the Dodgers could work for both parties involved. The Dodgers have a nice farm system and can move solid prospects to make a run at the Yankees. So with that:

Reds Trade- Luis Castillo

Dodgers Trade:

1) Miguel Vargas-(AAA) 1b/3b- MLB #78 prospect Dodgers #5

2) Ryan Pepiot-(MLB) SP- MLB #84 prospect Dodgers #6

3) Michael Grove-(MLB) RP/SP Dodgers #23 prospect

- Pepiot and Grove move to the Pitching staff immediately, while Vargas will compete for a spot in 23. Seems like a solid trade as we net 2 solid top prospects that can help in 22/23.
    Pages instead of Vargas and I’m down
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Pages instead of Vargas and I’m down
    I was hoping for Pages and Vargas myself.

Also don't get the fascination with Grove.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Trades for prospects are seductive. Reds trade some of their best players to pile them up. They are relatively unblemished with the promise of stardom in the big leagues.

And then little by little the warts appear with the Reds often left with a bucket of ashes.
    I’d simply ask for one example of a guy acquired in a trade that we pinned our hopes to (“couldn’t miss”) that turned into a pile of ashes.

Rather they accumulate B/C grade guys (who history says some of them will pan out!) that go on to fail.

I can’t think of one guy received who I thought had the quote “promise of stardom.”

11. Likes:

HokieRed (07-05-2022),Old school 1983 (07-05-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I’d simply ask for one example of a guy acquired in a trade that we pinned our hopes to (“couldn’t miss”) that turned into a pile of ashes.

Rather they accumulate B/C grade guys (who history says some of them will pan out!) that go on to fail.

I can’t think of one guy received who I thought had the quote “promise of stardom.”
    Maybe Jose Peraza? People here didn't overvalue him, but the FO seemed to think he'd be a star. Your point stands, though.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

13. Likes:

REDREAD (07-06-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post

Brandon Claussen (straight up for Aaron Boone) comes to mind, but that was admittedly nearly 20 years ago.

I agree with your overall point though, we have to stop going for quantity over quality and just get the Grade A prospects.

To the proposed Dodger trade, I would do Vargas, Pepiot and PAGES (instead of Grove). No way do we trade Castillo to any team without getting at least one of their top 3 prospects. No friggin way.

However if we can get a top tier OF prospect, secure one of our corner infield spots, AND get a nice arm to potentially replace Castillo in the rotation, I'd consider it.
    Last edited by Benihana; 07-05-2022 at 12:53 AM.
    Go BLUE!!!

15. Likes:

REDREAD (07-06-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    Maybe Jose Peraza? People here didn't overvalue him, but the FO seemed to think he'd be a star. Your point stands, though.
    It all seems somewhat pointless to look back on anyways, considering Peraza was valued and acquired by the Jocketty regime. Two management changes ago.

Unless you're one of those people that think that ownership is steering the entire ship throughout all of this as far as player acquisition and scouting is concerned, then you can really only look at what we've done since Krall's been here.

So far Petty and Phillips have been pretty good. And Williamson is still highly thought of.

Trading good players for prospects is near universally unpopular. Free agents are fun. You've seen their past success and spending $ shows your team is committed to winning. Unless something drastic changes, reality is the Reds will find stars in 2 ways: draft and trade. Once you've secured the core, I'm fine filling out some ancillary pieces through free agency but clearing salary by attaching assets is bad business for a limited budget team.

Quote Originally Posted by schroomytunes View Post
    I actually think a trade with the Dodgers could work for both parties involved. The Dodgers have a nice farm system and can move solid prospects to make a run at the Yankees. So with that:

Reds Trade- Luis Castillo

Dodgers Trade:

1) Miguel Vargas-(AAA) 1b/3b- MLB #78 prospect Dodgers #5

2) Ryan Pepiot-(MLB) SP- MLB #84 prospect Dodgers #6

3) Michael Grove-(MLB) RP/SP Dodgers #23 prospect

- Pepiot and Grove move to the Pitching staff immediately, while Vargas will compete for a spot in 23. Seems like a solid trade as we net 2 solid top prospects that can help in 22/23.
    Nope. Why get their spare parts for the best pitcher on the market and why settle for risky prospects in the first place? I want some one etablished. My price would still be Lux, Pages and an arm with potential. They can have Drury to replace Lux if need be. If they have all these prospects coming, they can replace Lux long term and Drury can replace him short term. He bats 9th in their line-up. It wouldn't be ripping out the heart of their team, they can pay that for Castillo.

Castillo and Drury for Lux, Pages and an arm from somewhere in thier top 15 prospect list.
    Last edited by mth123; 07-05-2022 at 08:04 AM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

19. Likes:

Revering4Blue (07-06-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Nope. Why get their spare parts for the best pitcher on the market and why settle for risky prospects in the first place? I want some one etablished. My price would still be Lux, Pages and an arm with potential. They can have Drury to replace Lux if need be. If they have all these prospects coming, they can replace Lux long term and Drury can replace him short term. He bats 9th in their line-up. It wouldn't be ripping out the heart of their team, they can pay that for Castillo.

Castillo and Drury for Lux, Pages and an arm from somewhere in thier top 15 prospect list.
    According to Baseball Trade Values, it’s an overpay by the Dodgers. The Dodgers would almost certainly reject this. So is your point that Reds must get a windfall benefit or just keep Castillo? Where does that take the Reds except for the status quo. The Reds stink with Castillo, how much better will they get by holding him for another year?

Unless Reds will be a contender next year, they will have to get realistic and make a trade both sides view as fair.

And if one does think the Reds will be a contender next year, I’d like to understand that too. They may be the worst team in MLB right now, it’ll be quite an off-season to achieve that.
    Last edited by Kc61; 07-05-2022 at 08:46 AM.

According to Baseball Trade Values, it’s an overpay by the Dodgers. The Dodgers would almost certainly reject this. So is your point that Reds must get a windfall benefit or just keep Castillo? Where does that take the Reds except for the status quo. The Reds stink with Castillo, how much better will they get by holding him for another year?

Unless Reds will be a contender next year, they will have to get realistic and make a trade both sides view as fair.

And if one does think the Reds will be a contender next year, I’d like to understand that too. They may be the worst team in MLB right now, it’ll be quite an off-season to achieve that.
    LA wants to win the world series. Anything short of that is a failure for them. They have plenty of line-up to absorb the loss of Lux (and Pages isn't contributing anything to the big league team). They have prospects to replace those guys long term and, if they don't, they have all the money in the world to replace them in the off-season. Lux hits 9th in their order and isn't key to them winning the world series and the Reds will be sending Drury to replace him short term.

What they don't have is the best pitcher on the market who could go to one of the teams they are competing with to shut them down in the play-offs or World series. Adding Castillo is much more key to LA winning this year and next year than anything Lux or Paqes will do for them and LA has plenty of resources to replace anything they trade away. Castillo is the scarce commodity in this deal at this time. That's my price. IF they counter with another top prospect in place of Lux while the Reds send Drury elsewhere, I'd probably settle for that if some one else doesn't offer something better. Still, I start the conversation with Lux, Pages and an arm for Castillo and Drury while making it clear that I'd be perfectly happy to trade him to somebody else.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

22. Likes:

Revering4Blue (07-06-2022)

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

I doubt any Major League Baseball general managers are using a website called Baseball Trade Values in their considerations, FWIW.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

24. Likes:

mth123 (07-05-2022),savafan (07-05-2022),TheBigLebowski (07-12-2022),WrongVerb (07-05-2022)

Turn Off Ads?