Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: 7-2-22 Reds vs Braves 4:10

Re: 7-2-22 Reds vs Braves 4:10

Joey goes down rather easily
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2. Turn Off Ads?

For all the talk about how Bob Gibson would bean you if you hit a HR off him or stared at him etc.
    He is tied for 86 place all time in hit batters. Greg Maddux hit far more batters than Gibson.
    Seems like he tried to intimidate hitters rather than actually hit them in most cases anyway.
    Today's hitter would crowd the plate on him and pile on the armor.
    I doubt his most likely 90 mph fastball would intimidate many in today's game.
    Last edited by KeefeCato; 07-02-2022 at 04:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    Larkin's brilliant analysis: the reason they keep losing at home is that they are giving up more runs than they're scoring
    He 's paid by the word.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

5. Likes:

Red Raindog (07-02-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Ky Fried Redleg View Post
    Back in the 70's and '80's Middlesboro was our big rival in football ; a couple decades later it was Bell High.
    Middlesboro had some good football teams. My school never did. lol

Quote Originally Posted by KeefeCato View Post
    For all the talk about how Bob Gibson would bean you if you hit a HR off him or stared at him etc.
    He is tied for 86 place all time in hit batters. Greg Maddux hit far more batters than Gibson.
    Seems like he tried to intimidate hitters rather than actually hit them in most cases anyway.
    I'm old enough to remember Gibson, and I don't recall that about him at all. He didn't need to hit you. They were scared ****less when they got in the batter's box. The guy threw smoke!

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I watched a couple of those games. Both teams were always good.
    In 1976, I believe Corbin and Middlesboro were the two best teams in the state of Kentucky. A 10-9 win at M'Boro sent Corbin on to win a state title. Btw, Lee Majors, the Six-Million Dollar Man" starred at Middlesboro High School.
    “It’s the mathematical potential for a single game to last forever, in a suspended world where no clock rules the day, that aligns baseball as much with the dead as the living.”
    ---- Bill Vaughn

"Science adjusts its views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved." ---Tim Minchin("Storm")

9. Likes:

cumberlandreds (07-02-2022)

Moose Ks at a 100mph pitch at ear-level.

Our hitter's bat can't catch up to this pitcher.

Is this year Joey's swan song, or is it because of the shifts?

Quote Originally Posted by durl View Post
    Middlesboro had some good football teams. My school never did. lol
    Did you go to Pineville?
    “It’s the mathematical potential for a single game to last forever, in a suspended world where no clock rules the day, that aligns baseball as much with the dead as the living.”
    ---- Bill Vaughn

"Science adjusts its views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved." ---Tim Minchin("Storm")

Moose showing the leather today.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    I'm old enough to remember Gibson, and I don't recall that about him at all. He didn't need to hit you. They were scared ****less when they got in the batter's box. The guy threw smoke!
    Probably topped out at 92 or so. 90% of the pitchers back then threw 80. So anyone above 90 would've been fast.
    Great pitcher no doubt. Not sure how good most of those guys would be today. Everyone throws 98 and up it seems.
    70s are my era. And I love 70s baseball. But I doubt few if any could compete in today's game.
    Of course they would also have access to today's training methods. So a Gibson in his prime today would probably hit triple digits.

16. Likes:

GAC (07-02-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Most intimidating guy ever, I think. Batters were scared. Bob had you defeated and pissing your pants before you ever got in the box.
    ---- Bill Vaughn

18. Likes:

GAC (07-02-2022)

Big bounce back inning for Mahle

20. Likes:

cumberlandreds (07-02-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by OldFashionedRed View Post
    Is this year Joey's swan song, or is it because of the shifts?
    Shift certainly hurts him. He isn't hitting the ball in the air enough nor is he hitting it hard enough.
    Batting averages throughout baseball continue to plummet.
    Maybe this will be the last year of the shift. If do I think Votto has a chance to put up a solid season next year.

Turn Off Ads?