Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: 7-4-22 Reds vs Mets 6:40

Re: 7-4-22 Reds vs Mets 6:40

Quote Originally Posted by Ky Fried Redleg View Post
    ***On this date in baseball history*** TRIVIA

123 years ago, today , July 4, 1899 , John McGraw became the first player to accomplish the steal cycle(stealing second, third, and home) in a single inning . He did it in the 4th inning for the Orioles(their last year in the National League) in Baltimore against the Boston Beaneaters.

Cesar Cedeno and Dave Collins

No idea

Stealing second, third, and home in the same game is an extremely rare feat but stealing for the cycle in the same inning is beyond rare. In fact, it never happened a single time in the decade of the 30's, 40's, 50's 60's or '70's. It did happen twice in the decade of the 1980's , once in 1980 and once in 1984. Both of these occurrences happened against the Reds and both of the players who accomplished the feat have connections to the Reds.

By some stroke of genius, can you name both of these players who stole second, third, and home in the same inning ?

2. Turn Off Ads?

They won't do well on the steal cycle question. That one's absurd. But I have have a more typical one on the way that everyone should do well on.
    They have had several guesses all wrong. I'll give them the clue that will give it away eventually.

“You can time out a jet airplane if you see it enough”

Leo Mazzone

5. Likes:

KeefeCato (07-04-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman92 View Post
    “You can time out a jet airplane if you see it enough”

Leo Mazzone
    He has to develop offspeed or obviously he will be a bust. I wonder about Derek Johnson. But coaches can only do so much. Ultimately it's up to the player.

I have to run and get something to eat so I will post tonight's scoreboard stumper a little early and let you start thinking on it.

***SCOREBOARD STUMPER***

From our bicentennial year , 1 9 7 6 up to the present , there have been eight pitchers, wearing either a Reds' uniform or a Mets' uniform , that lead the NL in strikeouts for the season. Five accomplished the feat as a Met, three did it with the Reds. How many of the eight can you name ???
    “It’s the mathematical potential for a single game to last forever, in a suspended world where no clock rules the day, that aligns baseball as much with the dead as the living.”
    ---- Bill Vaughn

"Science adjusts its views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved." ---Tim Minchin("Storm")

Quote Originally Posted by KeefeCato View Post
    I looked up the trivia answers. So I won't play this one. All I can say is good luck on anyone guessing. I wouldn't have gotten either in 1,000 guesses.
    I'll give one hint. Neither were known as base stealers.
    Guesses with the hint

Terry Francona and Chris Spier

I have to run and get something to eat so I will post tonight's scoreboard stumper a little early and let you start thinking on it.

***SCOREBOARD STUMPER***

From our bicentennial year , 1 9 7 6 up to the present , there have been eight pitchers, wearing either a Reds' uniform or a Mets' uniform , that lead the NL in strikeouts for the season. Five accomplished the feat as a Met, three did it with the Reds. How many of the eight can you name ???
    Gooden
    Syndergaard
    Seaver
    Sid Fernandez?
    David Cone
    DeGrom duh lol

Soto
    Bauer?
    Rijo ����*♂️
    Harang
    Last edited by Ironman92; 07-04-2022 at 08:22 PM.

I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

Ball in dirt
    High throw
    India out stealing easily
    Maybe speed isn’t his game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

I miss Raisor

Quote Originally Posted by Red Raindog View Post
    Ball in dirt
    High throw
    India out stealing easily
    Maybe speed isn’t his game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    BP used to think he was fast too

12. Likes:

KeefeCato (07-04-2022),Red Raindog (07-04-2022)

Last night I posted a video of Rick Camp's homer in the bottom of the 18th to tie the game 11-11 against the Mets on the 4th of July, 1985. The game started at 7:05 pm on the 4th, went 19 innings, had several rain delays, and finally ended at 3:55am on July 5. Fireworks were shot off about 4:05 am and many people who had gone to bed were awakened by the blasts and thought the city of Atlanta was under attack.

In the top of the 17th inning, both Darryl Strawberry and Manager Davey Johnson were ejected by umpire Terry Tata for arguing balls and strikes. When Johnson questioned Tata's strike call , Tata responded, " Davey, at three o'clock in the morning, anything's a strike."
    “It’s the mathematical potential for a single game to last forever, in a suspended world where no clock rules the day, that aligns baseball as much with the dead as the living.”
    ---- Bill Vaughn

"Science adjusts its views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved." ---Tim Minchin("Storm")

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman92 View Post
    Guesses with the hint

Terry Francona and Chris Spier
    Nope. I won't give the clue that will give it away. But there is a clue and you will get it immediately. I'll leave that up to ky Fried.

In other news Miguel Cabrera has more hits this season than any Reds player and is hitting .302, 9th in the AL

***SCOREBOARD STUMPER***

Harang
    Cueto
    Rijo

Seaver
    Gooden
    Cone
    Degrom
    Snydergard
    ???

Nope. I won't give the clue that will give it away. But there is a clue and you will get it immediately. I'll leave that up to ky Fried.
    Both became big league managers.

- - - Updated - - -

Harang
    Cueto
    Rijo

Seaver
    Gooden
    Cone
    Degrom
    Snydergard
    ???
    ALMOST perfection.
    ---- Bill Vaughn

Almora catches that

Turn Off Ads?