Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jonathan India

Jonathan India

Is it just me, but does it look like Jonathan India is just going through the motions playing since he came off the IL? I know it has to be depressing coming out daily when you don't have much of a chance to win. But, maybe he needs to be benched for a few games or sent down to the minors for a couple weeks. Something to shake him up a little.

Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G715U1 using Tapatalk

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Re: Jonathan India

I would say it’s just you. Not only are sophomore slumps real, but he’s played his second season sporadically (to be generous) with little chance to get in a groove. It happens. He’ll be fine.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

4. Likes:

cumberlandreds (07-06-2022),Tom Servo (07-05-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by WildcatFan View Post
    I would say it’s just you. Not only are sophomore slumps real, but he’s played his second season sporadically (to be generous) with little chance to get in a groove. It happens. He’ll be fine.
    And even if he isn't it wouldn't be because he doesn't care.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

6. Likes:

cumberlandreds (07-06-2022),RedTeamGo! (07-05-2022),Ron Madden (07-05-2022),westofyou (07-06-2022),WildcatFan (07-05-2022),WrongVerb (07-06-2022)

I’d say any player that is still making peanuts and is still years away from free agency is absolutely trying their hardest and not going through the motions.

If anything, he’s probably freaking out a little bit.

But, In reality, it’s coming off a bad injury (hamstring injuries suck) and he’s also probably dealing with a soph slump.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

8. Likes:

757690 (07-05-2022)

They call me "chef"

He’s in a tough position. If he stays calm and composed, he’ll be accused of not caring. If he shows passion and slaps Joc Pederson before a game, he’ll be accused of plagiarism.

10. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (07-06-2022),757690 (07-05-2022),RedsfaninMT (07-06-2022),Wayne Krivsky (07-06-2022),westofyou (07-06-2022),Wonderful Monds (07-05-2022),WrongVerb (07-06-2022)

Wonder if the hamstring is still bothering India to some extent.

He could be still dealing with a hamstring issue (or something else), but he also seems like he's pressing hard. His first pitch swing for an out in the bottom of the 8th tonight is one example of many where it seems like he's trying hard to make a big play. It's not working, obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    He could be still dealing with a hamstring issue (or something else), but he also seems like he's pressing hard. His first pitch swing for an out in the bottom of the 8th tonight is one example of many where it seems like he's trying hard to make a big play. It's not working, obviously.
    Generally not a fan of batting a slumping hitter lead off.

I didn’t like it with Senzel earlier this year. India has a track record at lead off, maybe less egregious, still don’t like it.

At lead off they are focused on getting on base by any means. I’d rather have them just hit freely. I’d let India hit 6-8 for awhile until he gets going.

Baseball is hard

Repeat, rinse and repeat again

15. Likes:

Ron Madden (07-06-2022)

Send him down, get that sweet extra year of control...Reds it up.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Send him down, get that sweet extra year of control...Reds it up.
    Why not? We're going to be a lot better next year.

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OldFashionedRed View Post
    We're going to be a lot better next year.
    Are we?

Let's just ship him to Pakistan. That will teach him a lesson!
    Reds Fan Since 1971

I'm really not worried about India at all. The guy played really well as a rookie, and hit .295 in his 45ABs this year before the hamstring injury sent him to the IL. This feels like a guy who is playing catch up from missing a ton of time early in the year, may have some lingering hammy issues, and going through his sophomore year where the rest of the league has a full scouting report on him. Not to mention India seems like a super competitive guy who may really struggle with the mental side of the game when he is in prolonged slumps.

If the Reds were actually competitive this year I would worry a bit more as his struggles may continue for a bit, but I would bet a lot of money that he gets things figured out it just feels like a question of when. Could be within the next week, could be a month, or it could just be getting to the offseason and letting him reset and come into 2023 healthy and ready.

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    Are we?
    All joking aside: yes. Would be difficult to the same or worse. A lot of young players should be improved next year and would be hard to have as bad of luck injury wise.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Turn Off Ads?