Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mahle to the DL due to shoulder strain

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Mahle to the DL due to shoulder strain

Mark Sheldon
    @m_sheldon

Tyler Mahle went on the 15-day IL with a right shoulder strain. Reliever Ian Gibault takes his roster spot after being claimed yesterday. Chris Okey cleared waivers and is outright to Louisville.
    2:20pm · 6 Jul 2022 ·
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

2. Likes:

Gallen5862 (07-06-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Mahle to the DL due to shoulder strain

This is a direct result of posters here celebrating when Montas was injured.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

5. Likes:

bounty37h (07-06-2022),Wayne Krivsky (07-06-2022)

They call me "chef"

Awesome. This means the demand for Castillo just went up even higher!

7. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (07-06-2022)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

lmao

I’ve argued it in the game threads. Put these guys in bubble wrap. Five innings or 80 pitches.

They should try and trade Castillo before his next start, if possible to get a good deal. Or as soon as they can thereafter.

This isn’t as terrible as it seems.

The deadline isn’t until Aug. 2. That give Mahle time to get healthy in time for the deadline.

But if he’s not, Mahle has another year of team control, so teams might still want him, or the Reds can hold onto him and trade him in the offseason. They likely won’t get as much in return for him, but they should be able to something decent for him.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

11. Likes:

Chip R (07-06-2022),ochoa30 (07-07-2022)

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Have to hope like hell he’s healthy before the deadline, but this is going to show as a discount on his price tag.

Trade Castillo NOW.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

Droll, yes. Quite droll. FlightRick's Avatar

Rays and Yanks before ASB. BAL and MIA after. Assuming Mahle is lightly dinged and not actually hurt, and the Reds were not above playing a few games with the roster.... where would you harther having Mahle make 1 or 2 show-off starts? Against the best of the AL East, or against the O's and the Marlins? Just spitbllin'.....

That said: the sooner we get that return in on Castillo, the better I'll feel.

Krall's need to include Moose in a Castillo deal intensifies
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Let's stop talking about those people and shun them as they deserve.

Joey is a Red for life. I really don't care if there are people that don't like it.

15. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (07-06-2022),bm1475 (07-06-2022),Norwood (07-06-2022),REDREAD (07-06-2022),RiverRat13 (07-06-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    This isn’t as terrible as it seems.

The deadline isn’t until Aug. 2. That give Mahle time to get healthy in time for the deadline.

But if he’s not, Mahle has another year of team control, so teams might still want him, or the Reds can hold onto him and trade him in the offseason. They likely won’t get as much in return for him, but they should be able to something decent for him.
    It’s not terrible, just bad.

Mahle getting healthy before the deadline is a red herring. Every team in baseball knows he’s been IL’d with a shoulder. He’s riskier, ergo, the return is less. If they’re interested at all.

But the main point is that this team has to understand what the priorities are in this situation. The priority is not having Luis throw the seventh inning.

17. Likes:

Old school 1983 (07-06-2022)

The trouble with the trade deadline deals is negotiations are going on now, but teams spend a month scouting, monitoring other trade targets, and checking the standings prior to pulling the trigger on anything. I'm sure the Reds are sending scouts out to multiple teams minor league teams to scout various players. Reporting on those trips, second opinions, having the other team scout Castillo, then scout their own players, back to internal discussions, more negotiation with each team, etc. is a ridiculous process.

Off season negotiations tend to come together quickly because the scouting piece is eliminated/done from the year prior or becomes a quick tape review where you can look at 100ABs in a matter of an hour. No waiting on the day a starter will pitch, no traveling, etc.

I would bet a lot of money that Castillo gets dealt (unless we see an injury), but I would be shocked if it happens pre all star break.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Remember Cueto going on the IL in late June 2015 before he was traded? Might that have been instrumental in the mediocre return?
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Remember Cueto going on the IL in late June 2015 before he was traded? Might that have been instrumental in the mediocre return?
    Of course Cueto’s injury was a factor. (I recall it as an elbow injury in May, but it’s been awhile.)

We all discussed it at the time. Everything is a factor, particularly at the deadline. Because teams are looking for help right now in a pennant race.
    Last edited by Kc61; 07-06-2022 at 03:16 PM.

Baseball Gods laughing at the Reds.

Mahle already made himself less attractive by the fact that he can't pitch in Toronto. This will only make him worth 2 beans instead of an entire bag.
    Where we gonna go?

Turn Off Ads?