Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Mahle to the DL due to shoulder strain

Re: Mahle to the DL due to shoulder strain

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Remember Cueto going on the IL in late June 2015 before he was traded? Might that have been instrumental in the mediocre return?
    Unlike other Reds trades of that era the return in that one was considered to be a strong one by most pundits, Finnegan and Reed just didn't pan out.

This sucks but it's not as bad as if Castillo got injured.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

2. Likes:

Revering4Blue (07-09-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    Mahle already made himself less attractive by the fact that he can't pitch in Toronto. This will only make him worth 2 beans instead of an entire bag.
    I wonder how many teams even care. The NL it only affects teams in the event they and Toronto make the world series. I wouldnt think it's that difficult to manipulate the schedule in the postseason to have Mahle pitch at home either for one series.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Unlike other Reds trades of that era the return in that one was considered to be a strong one by most pundits, Finnegan and Reed just didn't pan out.

This sucks but it's not as bad as if Castillo got injured.
    It was a pretty good return, not great. Finnegan was the lead pitcher and many thought he was a reliever from Day 1. Cueto was a Cy Young runner up who could have been traded months sooner.

Right now Castillo is well-packaged. Coming off a great outing, pitching well, seems healthy. Other trade candidate pitchers injured.

So we’ll see how the Reds handle this. At this point they should be “on notice.”

Mahle on the IL? There goes the Reds’ pennant chances.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

7. Likes:

757690 (07-06-2022),cumberlandreds (07-06-2022),HokieRed (07-06-2022),Wayne Krivsky (07-06-2022)

I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

Mahle to the DL due to shoulder strain

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Mahle on the IL? There goes the Reds’ pennant chances.
    I drafted Mahle for my fantasy team expecting to see him traded.

Ah well plans are just hopes wrapped in illusions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Red Raindog; 07-06-2022 at 04:57 PM.
    The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

I miss Raisor

We knew as soon as the lockout ended that there would be an abundance of injuries this season yet w there were fans complaining about having to carry extra pitchers on MLB rosters

From NIGHTENGALE TWITTER

Tyler Mahle hopes to return shortly after the All-Star break. MRI showed irritation but no major damage.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

11. Likes:

JCM11 (07-06-2022),Old school 1983 (07-06-2022),Revering4Blue (07-09-2022),Ron Madden (07-06-2022),Tuff Nut (07-06-2022)

Might be saving the innings for his next team's stretch run. The deal may be in.

Charlie Goldsmith
    @CharlieG__

On Tyler Mahle, David Bell expects him to be back to make one of the first few starts after the break. Mahle won’t throw for 5-to-7 days.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Krivsky View Post
    The trouble with the trade deadline deals is negotiations are going on now, but teams spend a month scouting, monitoring other trade targets, and checking the standings prior to pulling the trigger on anything. I'm sure the Reds are sending scouts out to multiple teams minor league teams to scout various players. Reporting on those trips, second opinions, having the other team scout Castillo, then scout their own players, back to internal discussions, more negotiation with each team, etc. is a ridiculous process.

Off season negotiations tend to come together quickly because the scouting piece is eliminated/done from the year prior or becomes a quick tape review where you can look at 100ABs in a matter of an hour. No waiting on the day a starter will pitch, no traveling, etc.

I would bet a lot of money that Castillo gets dealt (unless we see an injury), but I would be shocked if it happens pre all star break.
    I am shocked Bob can afford to send scouts out to " Multiple" teams games.. won't that hurt his resources they aligned too??

Any word on who starts the other game of the doubleheader tomorrow?
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    Any word on who starts the other game of the doubleheader tomorrow?
    Heard Minor in game 1 haven't heard who's going in game 2

Remember Cueto going on the IL in late June 2015 before he was traded? Might that have been instrumental in the mediocre return?
    Best I remember they were beating on their chest at that time and boasting about what a great return they got from Cueto-THREE LHP's with huge upsides! Finnegan was a first rounder, Lamb was tearing up AAA, and Reed was the prize of the haul.

Turns out that Lamb was battered mercilessly by MLB hitters before he took his >6 ERA and left town. Finnegan had one full season with an ERA around a flat 4 before he forgot how to pitch. Reed was probably the most frustrating of the bunch, pitching for the Reds in five different seasons. He pitched in the majors as recently as last season and has a career ernie>5. That's it, in return for probably the best SP to come out of their farm over the last 50 years they got one decent season.

Personally I'm not really excited over any midseason trade returns. If they had a competent front office I'd have a different opinion. Perhaps they get too greedy and delay pulling the trigger until it gets too late to the deadline and they have to settle for whatever some other team is willing to give them. As it is, I don't see the organization improving much by adding another Cody Reed, Dilson Herrera, or Keury Mella.

If they MUST part with their pitchers then perhaps they could package one with Moose to get his contract off their books, kind of like they did when they dumped Winker to get rid of Suarez.

They've actually had some compensation picks turn out so they might be better off keeping Castillo and tendering him before he walks. They probably won't and theorectically they should be able to bring in more from a trade, but past history bodes otherwise.
    Last edited by Lex2020; 07-06-2022 at 07:37 PM.

18. Likes:

REDREAD (07-06-2022)

When Ian Gibault makes his first appearance, he will become the 28th player this season to make his Reds debut.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

There were a lot of people on here celebrating that return when the trade was made. I was, uh, not one of them.
    Go BLUE!!!

Turn Off Ads?