Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: 7-7-22 Reds vs Pirates Game One 2:10

Re: 7-7-22 Reds vs Pirates Game One 2:10

Ron. I do a dynasty fantasy league. We are allowed 3 players that are not active in the majors on our rosters. We can keep every single player next year. Or you don't have to keep any. The more you keep the less draft picks next year.
    Anyway I drafted Cruz this year. Was surprised I was able to get him. 12 team league and half the league is Reds fans.
    I have India and Stephenson and Cruz. And picked up Diaz and Ashcraft early in the season.
    Have Contreras as my only Pirate.
    I'm far from being a expert. But being in that league. I keep up on the bigger name prospects. When a prospect gets called up that's on your team. You then drop a player from you're active roster to activate him.
    This leaves a spot to then add another prospect from the free agent pool.
    My team moves between 3rd and 6th place in the standings.
    As the standings are really close between several teams.
    I am loaded though with young players on my team. Should be a contender for several years to win the league as soon as next year.

2. Likes:

Ron Madden (07-07-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Ky Fried Redleg View Post
    I always loved doubleheaders as a kid, especially those twinight doubleheaders. Two games for the price of one back in the good old days. Also back when people didn't seem care how long a game lasted. I can remember leaving Riverfront after midnight or later after the conclusion of a twinight DH. One time, the first game lasted 16 or 18 innings. Three games for the price of one. I was in heaven.
    Living nearly 3 hours away. Back in the 70s My family would always go to two double headers a year.
    As each year passed the lesser and lesser the scheduled DH occurred.
    I believe 1984 was the last scheduled double header the Reds had.
    I went to many over the years. Every single double header I ever went to was a split. Except the first one and the last one I attended. The Reds won both games on those. Last one was a sweep of Colorado. Reds hit 4-5 HRS in the last couple innings to comeback and win game 2. I think Taubense hit the one that gave them the lead.
    I really wish MLB would have teams scheduled at least one straight DH a year at home. None of this split junk.
    It would really benefit fans who have to travel distances. They would also sell more food and drink during the games.
    But MLB doesn’t care about fans. It's obvious from the stupid blackouts for games.

5. Likes:

Ky Fried Redleg (07-07-2022)

If the Pirates sweep them today, I don't want to hear Bell say how close his team is to Turning it around one more time this year!!

I always loved doubleheaders as a kid, especially those twinight doubleheaders. Two games for the price of one back in the good old days. Also back when people didn't seem care how long a game lasted. I can remember leaving Riverfront after midnight or later after the conclusion of a twinight DH. One time, the first game lasted 16 or 18 innings. Three games for the price of one. I was in heaven.
    When I was young and we made our annual pilgrimage to Cincinnati to watch the Reds, more often than not it was a doubleheader. I loved it also as it was two game for the price of one. Not these silly day night doubleheaders the owners use to squeeze a few extra dollars out of the fans.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

8. Likes:

KeefeCato (07-07-2022),Ky Fried Redleg (07-07-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan6272 View Post
    If the Pirates sweep them today, I don't want to hear Bell say how close his team is to Turning it around one more time this year!!
    Look at who's pitching for the Reds. I'm sure Pittsburgh is favorite in both games.

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    When I was young and we made our annual pilgrimage to Cincinnati to watch the Reds, more often than not it was a doubleheader. I loved it also as it was two game for the price of one. Not these silly day night doubleheaders the owners use to squeeze a few extra dollars out of the fans.
    Every one in a while I'll see a team play a straight doubleheader. Making up a rainout. But 90% are split now. Usually the straight ones are from teams that don't draw well.
    If Reds ownership was smart. This would be a 4pm first pitch straight doubleheader.
    Folks who had tickets to game 2 would start to filter in by 5 or so.
    Then in turn would sell more food and drink and end up making more money than they will from the 2,000 people that will be at game 1.
    Probably 10,000 or so tickets were sold for game 2.

11. Likes:

cumberlandreds (07-07-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by KeefeCato View Post
    Every one in a while I'll see a team play a straight doubleheader. Making up a rainout. But 90% are split now. Usually the straight ones are from teams that don't draw well.
    If Reds ownership was smart. This would be a 4pm first pitch straight doubleheader.
    Folks who had tickets to game 2 would start to filter in by 5 or so.
    Then in turn would sell more food and drink and end up making more money than they will from the 2,000 people that will be at game 1.
    Probably 10,000 or so tickets were sold for game 2.
    This ownership can't figure out how to put a bullpen together much less figure out common sense for thier fans!!

13. Likes:

KeefeCato (07-07-2022)

Joel Luckhaupt
    @jluckhaupt

Fun fact: today is the 250th double-header between the Reds & Pirates since the Reds (re)joined the NL in 1890.

Reds have 73 sweeps and the Pirates have 70.

15. Likes:

cumberlandreds (07-07-2022),KeefeCato (07-07-2022)

" It's a great day for a ballgame; let's play two ! " --- Ernie Banks
    “It’s the mathematical potential for a single game to last forever, in a suspended world where no clock rules the day, that aligns baseball as much with the dead as the living.”
    ---- Bill Vaughn

"Science adjusts its views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved." ---Tim Minchin("Storm")

17. Likes:

mbgrayson (07-07-2022)

How about a retro game between these two franchises?. The lineups below are from game 5 of the 1972 NLCS

Pittsburgh Pirates Cincinnati Reds
    1. Stennett lf Rose lf
    2. Oliver cf Morgan 2b
    3. Clemente rf Tolan cf
    4. Stargell 1b Bench c
    5. Sanguillen c Perez 1b
    6. Hebner 3b Menke 3b
    7. Cash 2b Geronimo rf
    8. Alley ss Chaney ss
    9. Blass p Gullett p
    Reds Fan Since 1971

19. Likes:

757690 (07-07-2022)

Sorry I tried to format that better but it didn't take.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Did anyone ever make it through both games of a West Coast twi-night DH back in the 70's? If I'm not mistaken, I think the first game of the DH in SF started at 9:05 our time. Many of those DH's ended after 3am. I was tired at school in the morning, to say the least. lol
    “It’s the mathematical potential for a single game to last forever, in a suspended world where no clock rules the day, that aligns baseball as much with the dead as the living.”
    ---- Bill Vaughn

"Science adjusts its views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved." ---Tim Minchin("Storm")

Did anyone ever make it through both games of a West Coast twi-night DH back in the 70's? If I'm not mistaken, I think the first game of the DH in SF started at 9:05 our time. Many of those DH's ended after 3am. I was tired at school in the morning, to say the least. lol
    I must not have because I don't remember those at all.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Uh oh Angel Hernandez is behind the plate.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

24. Likes:

icehole3 (07-07-2022),Ron Madden (07-07-2022)

And this one is underway.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

26. Likes:

Ron Madden (07-07-2022)

Turn Off Ads?