Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: 7-12-22 Reds @ Yankees 7:05

Re: 7-12-22 Reds @ Yankees 7:05

Quote Originally Posted by mhs95_06 View Post
    That's not a fair trade! Would you giver up the 3 home wins for 2-1 at the Yankee stadium, or even 1-2 at Yankee stadium?
    I know this is bad math and I HATE bad math but I think I would , at least in this season, give up the three home wins against the Rays for two wins in Yankee Stadium.
    “It’s the mathematical potential for a single game to last forever, in a suspended world where no clock rules the day, that aligns baseball as much with the dead as the living.”
    ---- Bill Vaughn

"Science adjusts its views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved." ---Tim Minchin("Storm")

2. Turn Off Ads?
    I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

Suboptimal start

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

I miss Raisor

awful pitching after getting ahead

Paul O’Neill doing color commentary for Yanks tonight. Sounds like he keeps up with the Reds, seems to know what’s going on with them.

Yankees with second and third, no outs, could be a long night. C’mon Ashcraft.

rizzo has lost a lot of weight

- - - Updated - - -

this game is over quickly

This is going to be ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    rizzo has lost a lot of weight
    Hasn’t lost much hitting ability. 2-0 Yankees.

****THE REST OF THE STORY *****

The other night against the Rays when the Reds loaded the bases, I wouldn't have put any money on the outcome being a "balk off" win, seeing as that had happened less than a couple dozen times in history. For some odd reason , however, I did kinda think about a walk off catcher's interference(something we have benefited from a number of times this season). As rare as a walk off balk is, a walk off catcher's interference is rarer than rare. So rare, in fact, that it has only happened one time in the history of baseball. Not only do I know it happened once, I REMEMBER it happening. I was listening to the game when it happened and I was pissed for a week afterwards(as pissed as an eight-year old boy can be, anyways).

It happened on August 1, 1971 , only 19 days from the time I would attend my first ever Major League baseball game at RIverfront Stadium to see my beloved Cincinnati Reds play Pittsburgh. I had been saving up money for the 170 mile trip to Cincinnati for several weeks. I had saved $32 and change and kept it tucked away in one of my pawpaw's old King Edward Cigar boxes.

Now, back to August 1. It was Dodger Stadium. Final game of a three-game set with a NL West rival. The Dodgers were my most-hated team. Anytime they lost a game it brought a smile to my face. Unfortunately, they had won the first two games of this series and were looking for a sweep. The Dodgers started Bill Singer, who had pitched eight solid innings , giving up just a run on five hits. The Dodgers took a 3-1 lead into the ninth but Jim Brewer blew the save chance and the game proceeded to extra innings. The Dodgers gave up the lead in the top of the 11th on a solo homerun but in the bottom of the inning they would mount a rally, mostly on walks, errors, and a hit batsman. Here's how the game played out, along with one of the oddest endings in baseball history.

A pitcher by the name of Joe Gibbon came on in relief to try to nail down the win for the visitors in the bottom of the 11th. Two pinch hitters began the inning. Gibbon gave up a single to Joe Ferguson, then Wes Parker attempted to sacrifice Ferguson to second. Gibbon misplayed the bunt and threw late to first for an error. After a wild pitched moved both runners up, Maury Wills struck out for the first out of the inning. Gibbon then intentionally walked Manny Mota to set up the possible double play that would end the game. However, Gibbon hit Dodger RF Bill Buckner to force in the tying run. Dick Allen was up next and Gibbon got him to ground to the shortstop, who threw home to force out Parker at the plate.

With the bases still loaded and now two outs in the tie game, Willie Crawford was at the plate for the Dodgers. Gibbon was still on the mound. Either Manny Mota on third thought Gibbon wasn't paying enough attention to him or else Mota thought Crawford had little chance of getting a two-out hit because Mota took off for home plate as Gibbon winded up and delivered the pitch. The catcher, seeing Mota racing for home, pounced out in front of the plate to tag Mota. Just one problem, he left too soon and his catcher's mitt made contact with Crawford's bat. The home plate umpire ruled interference on the catcher, allowing Mota to score , and giving the Dodgers the bizarre 5-4 win , the only documented play in Major League history where a game ended as a result of catcher's interference.

Why was I so bent out of shape over this turn of events? Well, as you may have guessed by now Joe Gibbon was pitching for my Cincinnati Reds, the team I was looking forward to watching for the first time live in just three weeks. And the catcher who was responsible for the only walk off catcher's interference in the history of our great game? He went on to win ten Gold Gloves and appear in 14 All Star games and is considered by most baseball experts as the greatest all-around catcher in the history of the game.

The young catcher whose mitt made contact with Willie Crawford's bat that day in Los Angeles was none other than our very own Hall of Fame catcher, the great JOHNNY BENCH !!!!

And NOW you know..... THE REST ...OF THE STORY !!!!
    Last edited by Ky Fried Redleg; 07-12-2022 at 08:31 PM.
    “It’s the mathematical potential for a single game to last forever, in a suspended world where no clock rules the day, that aligns baseball as much with the dead as the living.”
    ---- Bill Vaughn

"Science adjusts its views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved." ---Tim Minchin("Storm")

Ashcraft Ks Stanton, so that's something

Ashcraft could have been battling some nerves there at first, but he calmed down

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Settled down nicely.

Still worried that a guy with his arsenal has such a hard time missing bats.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

13. Likes:

KeefeCato (07-12-2022)

Senzel hitting 9th is not because of 'length'. It's because Bell is clueless.

Sadak no matter how much you try to sell the lineup as bring deep it is not deep.
    Get Moose out and get Solano in and I might give it a not terrible tag. But definitely not deep.

16. Likes:

NebraskaRed (07-12-2022)

The Yankees pregame guy mentioned that the Reds had played the Yankees in three World Series-1939, 1961 and 1976.Then he casually mentioned that the 39 Yankees were one of the greatest teams of all time.
    I really don’t see the 39 Yankees comparing with the 61 Yankees (the M&M boys) or the Big Red Machine. He didn't mention that the 76 boys swept the Bombers.

If Moose were to go on and hit 8 home runs this year, his combined home run total for 2022, 21, and 20 would still be 9 short of his 2019 home run total.

Turn Off Ads?