Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 182425262728

Thread: The Official 2022 Draft Day Thread

Re: The Official 2022 Draft Day Thread

Hinds was moved to RF this season.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    10 straight pitchers.
    Sounds like the Reds bullpen trying to get through a troublesome eigth inning.
    “The guys we've had for the most part have been serviceable at this level.”

4. Likes:

Kc61 (07-20-2022),Marty and Joe (07-20-2022),TRF (07-20-2022)

So what do people think of Reds draft overall?

Sounds to me like a great first rounder, otherwise fairly routine. One late round difficult sign with serious upside, Neville. Not atypical for Reds to draft one or more of those. Lot of pitching quantity, especially college. A few guys guys probably below slot, maybe slight overdrafts.

Am interested for those who’ve followed this closely to give overall impressions. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    So what do people think of Reds draft overall?

Sounds to me like a great first rounder, otherwise fairly routine. One late round difficult sign with serious upside, Neville. Not atypical for Reds to draft one or more of those. Lot of pitching quantity, especially college. A few guys guys probably below slot, maybe slight overdrafts.

Am interested for those who’ve followed this closely to give overall impressions. Thanks.
    Pick #11 is very interesting. Ben Brutti. He's another sneaky pick. Might be a difficult sign though.

I really like this draft from a casual observer's standpoint. They picked a lot of players MLB had scouting reports and video on. Got lucky with Collier, thanks in large part to the Rangers blowing up everyone's boards by picking Rocker.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

7. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (07-20-2022)

Without looking into it, it seems most of your hits come on guys in the first three rounds. I think the Reds drafted six guys that could have fallen in that range. Combine that with getting a top five talent at 18, and I’ll take it. Now you have to sign and develop those guys.

9. Likes:

JFLegal (07-20-2022),RedTeamGo! (07-20-2022),Rick Palmer (07-20-2022)

For me, more than any draft I can remember this is about just the top guy. The Reds sold out for Collier -- maybe earlier in the process than we will ever know -- and just picked up the pieces thereafter. Not that the other guys can't develop and become positives for the organization. I think Stewart is going to get paid, and I'm sure they have real hopes for Tanner to be a big leaguer. But it really all comes down to Collier. High, high ceiling as a hitter. The kind of guy who, if he develops, could hit in the middle of the order for a good team.

If you look at the first 2 days, you can see them kind of filling out a team around the diamond. Day 3 is just pitching depth, with a couple interesting high schoolers. My guess is they expect to sign Brutti. Neville is there as insurance -- in case something unexpected happens to a high dollar pick and they suddenly have a bunch of available pool money -- you want to be able to spend that on somebody worthwhile (use it or lose it).
    Last edited by lollipopcurve; 07-20-2022 at 09:53 AM.

Some very good commentary here. The way I look at it is that Collier helps replace the recent top-end of Reds prospects. With Greene and Lodolo advancing to the bigs, we have a new group of De La Cruz, Collier, McClain on the high end. Barrero maybe still, TBD.

The hope is that some of the others from this draft can break into, say, the Reds’ top 10-15 prospects. It’ll be interesting to see who is signed (presumably most) and who shows well from those other than Collier in this draft.
    Last edited by Kc61; 07-20-2022 at 07:59 PM.

I'v softened my stance on Stewart after ready some scouting reports and watching some video. I think he could be a good hitter. I still wanted the Reds to take an arm in the #32 spot though. You had Harrington, Snelling, Ferris, Tidwell, and Prepoit ripe for the taking. I would say this was a solid B to B+ draft and if we get Neville signed maybe an A-.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Rumor is $5 mil

- - - Updated - - -

I’d rather have him than Stewart from what I have read.
    My guess is he’s the insurance if Stewart doesn’t sign. It will likely be one or the other.
    Go BLUE!!!

14. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (07-20-2022)

I went back and rewatched the draft combine that was held June 17th. Harold Reynolds said at the time that Cam Collier might be in the majors by 19. There were several players there that the Reds ended up drafting. Collier of course also both catchers they liked. Logan Tanner was ranked as high as 29 on mlb.com. The rankings they used i believe. Cade Hunter had some of the harder hit balls and had some of the hardest velosity throws to second. Zach Maxwell is huge. He was hitting 99 regularly. He was also hitting anyone that was near. They really liked Mason Neville. He would be a good get if they can sign him.

16. Likes:

lollipopcurve (07-21-2022),ochoa30 (07-21-2022),Rick Palmer (07-20-2022),Rowsdower (07-21-2022)

I like the draft. Stewart looks like a contender for Votto's replacement. Catching was a need in the system and they got two early. They seemed to be confident that they could develop pitchers and played a numbers game with later picks, believing they could resolve control issues for at least one of late picks.

I really love the Collier and Stewart picks. Both these guys can hammer and will find a place, Stewart possibly Joey's replacement. I think a lot less of the Hunter and Boyd picks. Both have serious issues especially if Boyd can't paly CF regularly. Hunter is really rough mechanically at C and his bat profiles below average - trouble wth off speed stuff. That'll kill him in the pros. Boyd doesn't have any power but he does have speed. If he can play center I like him a lot more. of the pitchers I am not particularly impressed but there is enough quantity maybe they find a a Graham Ashcroft or 2. Overall I like this draft mainly because of picks 1 and 2 - both these guys can hit and don't mean like the typical Reds prospect who has light tower power but can't make contact to save their life. Both these guys make consistent contact and have good enough power. I am intrgued a bit by Hubbard - a lefty with a plus curve?

I forgot Logan Tanner, like this pick a lot. Lets see if he can hit the pros because he has the defensive skills to play right now and at catcher that alone is enough to get you a backup role. Whether he hits or not will be crucial. The Reds really need a good hitting catcher to pair with Stephenson. Then they can either move him or have a great trade chip in one of them.
    Last edited by RedlegJake; 07-20-2022 at 06:09 PM.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

19. Likes:

Old school 1983 (07-20-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    I really love the Collier and Stewart picks. Both these guys can hammer and will find a place, Stewart possibly Joey's replacement. I think a lot less of the Hunter and Boyd picks. Both have serious issues especially if Boyd can't paly CF regularly. Hunter is really rough mechanically at C and his bat profiles below average - trouble wth off speed stuff. That'll kill him in the pros. Boyd doesn't have any power but he does have speed. If he can play center I like him a lot more. of the pitchers I am not particularly impressed but there is enough quantity maybe they find a a Graham Ashcroft or 2. Overall I like this draft mainly because of picks 1 and 2 - both these guys can hit and don't mean like the typical Reds prospect who has light tower power but can't make contact to save their life. Both these guys make consistent contact and have good enough power. I am intrgued a bit by Hubbard - a lefty with a plus curve?

I forgot Logan Tanner, like this pick a lot. Lets see if he can hit the pros because he has the defensive skills to play right now and at catcher that alone is enough to get you a backup role. Whether he hits or not will be crucial. The Reds really need a good hitting catcher to pair with Stephenson. Then they can either move him or have a great trade chip in one of them.
    and logan tanner had 15 HRs as a sophomore at Mississippi State in 2021. if hitting is the biggest concern with him, i'll take it. (he did only have 7 homers in 2022, but still, 15 HRs as a sophomore against top competition was impressive.)

Bah Humbug:

Mason Choate
    @ChoateMason
    ·
    Jul 19
    Arkansas OF signee Mason Neville announced he will not sign with the Cincinnati Reds and he will go to college in Fayetteville.

Neville was listed as http://MLB.com's No. 102 overall prospect in this year's draft and he was taken in the 18th round by the Reds.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Turn Off Ads?