Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: 3B Cam Collier

Re: 3B Cam Collier

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    People talk about promoting guys now. Daytona, Dayton and Chattanooga play their last games on September 11. That is less than 20 days from now. I don't see what calling for a promotion now accomplishes. It probably just muddies the water more than accumulating a larger sample in one location would.
    I think this is correct. No need to rush Collier. What he is doing right now is more than just on the field play. He is learning how to be around a professional clubhouse with other professionals. Next year is when the fun really begins.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

2. Likes:

Old school 1983 (08-23-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Why does that tweet (from what I assume is his agency?) say that he's completed his first season? Makes it sound like he's done this year.

I'm of the opinion that W-L records have some value at the minor league level. Not the most significant factor in prospect development, but I'd rather the farmhands get used to winning all the time rather than the alternative. Right now, three of the top four farm teams are dead last in their leagues and Dayton is barely .500. I don't want players stacked at lower than appropriate levels just to rack up some wins, but I don't think that the Reds current MiLB W-L futility is ideal.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    So the question is, any chance they start him off with the Dragons and have him skip low A?
    I think it's common among teams to tour the top draft pick each year to each farm team for at least a few weeks. My guess is he finishes the season out with Daytona, and then starts next year at Dayton if he shows well for the Tortugas.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

6. Likes:

Old school 1983 (08-23-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    I think it's common among teams to tour the top draft pick each year to each farm team for at least a few weeks. My guess is he finishes the season out with Daytona, and then starts next year at Dayton if he shows well for the Tortugas.
    Sorry if I wasn’t clear. I meant start next season in Dayton.

8. Likes:

WrongVerb (08-23-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    That would be pretty aggressive. That said, Collier's got a history of playing well above his age level. If anybody can handle it from the 2022 draft, Collier should be the guy.

10. Likes:

WrongVerb (08-23-2022)

I guess I am really not too impressed with "best prospect" (Top 100) listings. I am more about actual production. And I think most folks agree that 28 year olds in AA and 30 year olds in AAA are not prospects. But better prospects should lead to better production on the field. Better production should mean more actual wins.

I am a little more intrigued by organizational rankings. The new MLBPipeline rankings just came out. If you look at the Orioles' farm system, they were ranked #1. They have been extremely successful in wins and losses in their farm system above rookie league teams. Dodgers ranked #2. They too have been successful in wins and losses in their system. Cleveland was #3, again successful wins and losses. Wins and losses may not matter in the scheme of things, but higher ranked systems tend to produce better records.

The Reds just made #4. It will be interesting to see if the wins and losses improve.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

Any word on Collier getting moved up to A ball? He pretty much dominated rookie ball with a 1.144 OPS and more BB than SO.

https://theathletic.com/3541326/2022...wden-rankings/
    People in the industry are yelling at me for not including Collier in my top 50. They laud his hit tool and raw power, and his pitch recognition and plate discipline are special. Collier didn’t make my list mainly because I haven’t seen him since the Reds selected him out of Chipola College at No. 18 in this year’s draft. However, based on what I’m hearing from some of the most respected evaluators in the game, Collier gets a spot here, and I will make sure to see him play in the fall and/or spring.
    “The guys we've had for the most part have been serviceable at this level.”

Keith Law has him as the #17th best overall prospect.

15. Likes:

malcontent (05-04-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Keith Law has him as the #17th best overall prospect.
    That seems high, but he's absolutely Law's type-- super young with tools and bloodline.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Reds’ Cam Collier, the first prospect to follow Bryce Harper’s path, had to grow up fast

Lou Collier was nervous.

He had spent eight years in the majors, and his nerves had never frayed on the field, but this was different. Now he wasn’t on the field but in the dugout, and he projected his worries outward. They were both external and paternal, focused on the 10-year-old standing near third base. There, with the game on the line, stood his son Cam.

It was the bottom of the ninth and the winning run stood 90 feet from home. A flash of the bat shot a missile to third base, a development so fast that it left Cam little time to think. On pure instinct, he backhanded the ball, stood and fired a strike to home to nail the runner and keep his team alive.

To Cam, it was just a baseball play. To his father, it was more than that. Cam already was playing against and among kids two years his senior, and the play was further evidence of his preternatural talent and baseball IQ. The ball came to him and there was no hesitation. Cam just knew.

That wasn’t a play, his father thought. It was a sign.

“OK,” Lou said to himself. “We might have something here.”
    That junk food habit serves as a potent reminder that, despite his accomplishments to this point, Cam is still just a kid. “He’s way more mature than 18,” says Daytona bench coach Lenny Harris, but he’s not grown yet. Harris crossed paths with Lou often during their playing days and he feels a certain responsibility to keep Cam on the straight and narrow. One day last week, as Cam sat in the lobby of the team hotel, Harris stopped within two feet of his pupil and unleashed a silent, withering stare from behind a pair of sunglasses. Who do you think you are doing interviews, kid? the look seemed to say. All the young prospect could manage in response was a convulsion of embarrassed laughter.

“I’m just going to polish him up a little bit attitude-wise, making sure that he’s hungry every time he goes out there to play,” Harris says. “I don’t want him to feel like he’s already satisfied with where he’s at.”

Such a reminder might be redundant. Cam may have gotten himself into pro ball at a blazing speed, but that only earned him a stall at the starting gate of professional baseball. His age and his talent suggest that he’ll be successful, but he hasn’t done anything yet. This spring, he found himself awestruck by the talents of two other Cincinnati franchise centerpieces, pitcher Hunter Greene and top prospect Elly De La Cruz. Greene was the former No. 2 pick in the draft, and De La Cruz is ranked as the No. 4 prospect in baseball by Keith Law of The Athletic. Cam isn’t that far behind, slotted at No. 17. That would seem to make them projectable peers, but Cam rejects that notion.

“Those guys have proved it,” he says. “Before I say I’m on the same level, I want to prove it as well.”
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

18. Likes:

Tom Servo (05-01-2023)

I've never heard of a 10 year-old playing in a 9 inning game or on a field with 90 foot bases! Having watched FAR more 10 year old baseball than anyone should be subjected to, I can't even imagine any 10 year old capable of making that throw across the diamond. That takes an absolute physical freak, which Collier obviously is.

20. Likes:

Kingspoint (05-08-2023)

Aristocratic Hoosier

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    I've never heard of a 10 year-old playing in a 9 inning game or on a field with 90 foot bases! Having watched FAR more 10 year old baseball than anyone should be subjected to, I can't even imagine any 10 year old capable of making that throw across the diamond. That takes an absolute physical freak, which Collier obviously is.
    Yeah if that story actually happened.
    Quantum computing promises to be a revolutionary tool, making short work of equations that classical computers would struggle to ever complete. Yet the workhorse of the quantum device, known as a qubit, is a delicate object prone to collapsing.

Quote Originally Posted by j.u.FAIRFIIELD View Post
    Yeah if that story actually happened.
    It was probably just a bit of creative license. More likely the winning run was 70 feet away from home in the bottom of the 5th or 6th. Still an instructive story about the kid's baseball instincts.
    Last edited by Boston Red; 05-03-2023 at 09:41 AM.

23. Likes:

Benihana (05-04-2023)

It did say he was playing with kids 2 years older, but still 12U is typically 70' bases. Still not an easy throw for a typical 10 year old.

Or what was said just above my post
    Posting in the clutch since twenty ought two.

25. Likes:

Boston Red (05-04-2023)

Turn Off Ads?