Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: 3B Cam Collier

Re: 3B Cam Collier

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Devils advocate - if you want to move some tickets - just call him to GABP and start him on Friday lol. I’d end my embargo to see that (mostly kidding)
    Challenge thy hitters.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

2. Likes:

membengal (07-26-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Challenge thy hitters.
    exactly!
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    One thing Reds (sometimes) understand is winning the bidding on a lower priced asset.

Aroldis Chapman was the prototype. There have been others.

Cam doesn’t cost nearly big time free agent money. But Reds willingness to pay him well over slot is a good approach.

I wish there were more opportunities like this.
    Agreed. Love the Collier move. Also loved when we did it with Taylor Trammell in the sandwich round, who ended up netting us a Cy Young winner.

International free agents (Chapman, Iglesias, Barrero, and other guys like Ohtani, Jorge Soler, Eloy Jimenez, Gleyber Torres, Yoan Moncada, and Luis Robert) are the smart way to go, and many of us have been pounding the table for that for years. Of course the top 16 year olds don't always pan out, but I think there is good value there, especially for some of the more "sure things" like Chapman, Ohtani and Luis Robert.

The other thing I would do if I were in charge of Reds' drafts are go for 3-4 big name (ie high dollar) guys, and let the rest ride. I'd be down to take college seniors or other low priced guys in rounds 4-10 every year if it meant we could get 3-4 top 50 guys in every draft. The baseball draft is all about quality over quantity, and if you look at historically who makes it, it's the top 50-100 guys in every draft that really matter. Sure it could affect the overall quality of some of your minor league teams, but what matters the most is the draft becomes a pipeline for above average major league talent.
    Last edited by Benihana; 07-26-2022 at 10:37 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bamatank View Post
    Players at 19 or 20 in the majors usually turn out to be super stars. Ronald Acunia, Johnny Bench, Tom Seaver, Mays, Andrew Jones.
    I seem to remember this Griffey kid making major noise at 19 and 20.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

It'll be fascinating to see where Collier goes after the trading deadline dust has settled.

I'd guess he moves to Daytona, as he's a legitimate first round talent. Most HS kids from the 1st round begin in low A. Austin Callahan can move to Dayton, as he's OPSing 900 and is old for the league and needs to be challenged. A left side of the infield of Edwin Arroyo and Cam Collier can grow together, learn from each other, and be the backbone of several solid minor league lineups.

But he could also be brought along slowly and dumped in Arizona with Carlos Jorge, Leonardo Balcazar, Braylin Minier, Johnny Ascanio, Donovan Antonia, newly-acquired Hector Rodriguez, Ariel Almonte, and several guys who're really smacking the ball in the ACL. (They might also move Rodriguez to low A in this scenario.)

Is this the most talented group of minor league position players the Reds have had since the 80's? It feels like it to me with Elly, Marte, Arroyo, McLain, and Collier. I can genuinely see all those guys being a big part of a winning team in the next 2-5 years. It also sounds like we have some good looking players in rookie ball as well.
    Last edited by JCM11; 07-30-2022 at 10:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JCM11 View Post
    Is this the most talented group of minor league position players the Reds have had since the 80's? It feels like it to me with Elly, Marte, Arroyo, McLain, and Collier. I can genuinely see all those guys being a big part of a winning team in the next 2-5 years. It also sounds like we have some good looking players in rookie ball as well.
    I'm not sure it has the upside of Larkin, Davis, Kal Daniels (who was an absolute monster until his knees took him out), Paul O'Neill, et al., but it's got depth for days.

If everyone stays healthy, there are several position guys who are going to have to really compete just to get some playing time.

I'd guess Arizona for Collier then Daytona in the spring.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Interesting note. Elly De La Cruz is only 147 days (or approx. 5 months) older than Cam Collier.
    Last edited by SidneySlicker; 08-08-2022 at 01:30 PM.

Would really love to see Cam in Daytona to finish the year and begin 23.

Challenge thy hitters.

Quote Originally Posted by SidneySlicker View Post
    Interesting note. Elly De La Cruz is only 147 days (or approx. 5 months) older than Cam Collier.
    I do not think that is correct

I believe Elly is 20 years old. Cam is 17.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

14. Likes:

Old school 1983 (08-08-2022),RedsfaninMT (08-16-2022),Tom Servo (08-08-2022),wolfboy (08-08-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by SidneySlicker View Post
    Collier is 17 years old born on 11/20/2004 he's nearly 3 years younger than Elly.

Baseball America has Collier ranked 68th in MLB in their mid-season rankings.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

17. Likes:

wolfboy (08-08-2022)

My bad apparently there's another Cam Collier from FL on the baseball-reference site that was born in 2002.

19. Likes:

UKFlounder (08-08-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I do not think that is correct

I believe Elly is 20 years old. Cam is 17.
    Maybe so but what fun is it to let facts get in the way of a good narrative?

Turn Off Ads?