Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reds draft picks signing status

Reds draft picks signing status

I can't remember who it was.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Reds draft.

Is someone going to post a chart like last year showing the Reds draft allotment and who they sign of those drafted?

Re: Reds draft.

Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

5. Likes:

757690 (07-23-2022),camisadelgolf (07-21-2022),cumberlandreds (07-21-2022),Gallen5862 (07-21-2022),Marty and Joe (07-23-2022),Mitri (07-23-2022),mth123 (07-24-2022),Plus Plus (07-21-2022),Redsfan6272 (07-24-2022),RedTeamGo! (07-21-2022),Rick Palmer (07-22-2022),sdwagers (07-21-2022),wally post (07-24-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post

Many thanks for this, I always love to follow this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    sdwagers for Reds GM!

7. Likes:

Bunting Bad (07-26-2022),Gallen5862 (07-21-2022),Old school 1983 (07-21-2022),RedlegJake (07-23-2022)

Thank you.

9. Likes:

Gallen5862 (07-21-2022),sdwagers (07-24-2022)

I put a sticky on this because of the chart that JaxRed has in his post. It's a really good thing he does every year to keep track of where the Reds are in signing these guys.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

11. Likes:

Boss-Hog (07-25-2022),Bourgeois Zee (07-22-2022),Gallen5862 (07-23-2022),sdwagers (07-24-2022)

Hubbart for 500k is a steal.

13. Likes:

Benihana (07-23-2022)

Would’ve hoped Boyd came at more of a discount. Strikes me as a weaker version of Jeff Gelalich. The only Reds pick in this draft that I really didn’t like, although I understood the need for a cost cutting pick.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    Hubbart for 500k is a steal.
    I can't figure out why he went so low in the draft.

Four adequate pitches that play up due to his ability to throw them consistently for strikes. Dominance on the Cape. Solid peripherals.

He's a nice pick who should move quickly and be a BOR SP candidate as early as 2024.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Would’ve hoped Boyd came at more of a discount. Strikes me as a weaker version of Jeff Gelalich. The only Reds pick in this draft that I really didn’t like, although I understood the need for a cost cutting pick.
    Guessing the Reds bought into his swing change and consistent PA production. He also hit well in the Northwoods League, which is a low-key proving grounds for solid (if underserved) prospects. (Alex McGarry got his UDFA contract, I suspect, in part because of his Northwoods League numbers and has done quite well since.) Not sure if Boyd is a great pick, but he profiles as solid at everything. He won't be a black hole, dependent on part-time power (Aquino) or speed/ defense (Hamilton).

I think he looks like a fourth OF at this point, but he has upside if he can find a bit more bat speed/ power.

Bobby Nightengale:

The Reds have signed 10 of the 12 players they picked in the first 10 rounds of the MLB Draft.

The two deals they haven’t announced are first-rounder Cam Collier and fifth-rounder Cade Hunter (MLB Pipeline reports Hunter already agreed to terms).

18. Likes:

Rick Palmer (07-24-2022)

I kid you not, Tanner doesn’t look like he’s signing a contract. It looks more like he’s filling out an employment application!! Looks like there’s lines for name, address, phone number, DOB, SS #, etc.
    Last edited by MikeS21; 07-23-2022 at 04:18 PM.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

One thing that I always find interesting is where these guys will go after signing-- and how that will affect those already in the system.

Sal Stewart and Cam Collier will play either in Daytona or in the Arizona League. That squeezes Braylin Minier and Johnny Ascanio, both of whom have performed very well this season. (And both are relatively young for the level too.) Since Minier and Ascanio can play the middle infield, that might mean moving at least one of Carlos Jorge or Leonardo Balcazar, who've also performed very well this season while being young for the level. Trey Faltine, the Texas SS, also figures in somewhere. (Perhaps at low A Daytona, in place of Gus Steiger and Steven Leyton?)

Collier might be ticketed for Daytona. He's a 1st rounder, after all, and most of those are advanced enough to play in low A ball. (Even if he is 17.)

OF Justin Boyd might well begin in the ACL-- or because of his Power 5 pedigree, he might start in Daytona. Either way, he cuts into someone's playing time. (And not just someone-- real CF prospects.) Jay Allen is in Daytona. Malvin Valdez is in the ACL. I'd look to a timeshare, of sorts, as none of those guys are likely to be moved up (IMO). That would mean Boyd would play (most likely) RF in lieu of Ariel Almonte, who's also hit pretty well in his age 18 season (820 OPS). He could, of course, DH, but that would seem to limit his defensive education.

Catching will be interesting too. What happens to Andruw Salcedo, who tore up the ACL last season before struggling this year? Juan Garcia's hitting a ton in the ACL right now. Does he take a back seat to an older draftee? Maybe so. Perhaps both Logan Tanner and Cade Hunter (Power 5 conference guys, both) go to Daytona. If so, Michael Trautwein (the Tortuga's hottest hitter with an OPS over 868) becomes far less interesting as a prospect.

Pitching should be a bit easier to add in (as many of the Cincinnati pitchers have turned into pumpkins). But we're talking about 10 new arms. That's a lot.

22. Likes:

RED VAN HOT (07-23-2022),Rick Palmer (07-24-2022)

Nice post, BZ. There are so many worthy performers in the ACL. I tend toward moving them up and back filling draftees.

24. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (07-27-2022)

Turn Off Ads?