Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    Homerun, walk, HBP

Good job, Hunter!
    Facing the bottom of the order

2. Likes:

NebraskaRed (07-28-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 7-28-22 Reds vs Marlins 12:35

Some say make Diaz the closer. Fine I go along with that. But that solves nothing. Because unless the starters go 8 innings. Someone has to pitch innings 7 and 8 to get the lead to closer Diaz.
    I see DFA Strickland or DFA this guy. Fact is and I can't believe this has to be repeated over and over after each bullpen blowup.
    Outside of Diaz they all suck. Strickland is no worse than the rest of them.
    No matter what happens the next two days. Diaz should not pitch and I don't think he will.
    If that means more losses so be it. They must keep Diaz healthy and not overuse him. If they do he will end up like Sims and Antone.

I thought Strickland was a solid pickup... definitely I was wrong. This guy is obvious DFA material, and he is the main closer.

They weren't even trying to field a serviceable bullpen going into the year.

6. Likes:

mth123 (07-28-2022)

Why not bring back Diaz in the 9th? He had only thrown 17 pitches. Back in the day that would have been a no brainer. But it's verboten in 2020 baseball. I just don't get it.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

8. Likes:

Ky Fried Redleg (07-29-2022)

A day later, it still stings... What kept this team from being a serious playoff contender last year?

Going cheap on the bullpen.

Sure there were crappy contracts that were not paying for themselves, so clear the books a little, I get it (who would be happy with Casty's contract and production now?).

But aside from a horrendous start aided by freakish number of injuries... what is keeping this team from actually contending in this division?

Going cheap on the bullpen

But it's OK Phil, I found somewhere else to go

10. Likes:

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Why not bring back Diaz in the 9th? He had only thrown 17 pitches. Back in the day that would have been a no brainer. But it's verboten in 2020 baseball. I just don't get it.
    He pitched the day before also. No need to start running into the ground the one guy out there that’s been any good this year.

12. Likes:

Ron Madden (07-29-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by LeatherPants View Post
    He pitched the day before also. No need to start running into the ground the one guy out there that’s been any good this year.
    He threw all of 9 pitches the day before. I don't think his arm is going to fall off. If he gets in any trouble at all in the 9th you pull him. But I know this is they way they do the pitchers now and I just don't agree with it.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

14. Likes:

Oh, how I miss those days!!!

There's no way to "get" today's baseball because it makes no sense. I mean , "you play to win the game." Right? If Diaz pitches the ninth, you win the game. Why not play to win every game?
    Last edited by Ky Fried Redleg; 07-29-2022 at 11:34 AM.
    “It’s the mathematical potential for a single game to last forever, in a suspended world where no clock rules the day, that aligns baseball as much with the dead as the living.”
    ---- Bill Vaughn

"Science adjusts its views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved." ---Tim Minchin("Storm")

He threw all of 9 pitches the day before. I don't think his arm is going to fall off. If he gets in any trouble at all in the 9th you pull him. But I know this is they way they do the pitchers now and I just don't agree with it.
    Neither do I. That's why I watch Reds' games and that's all. Don't watch playoff games or All-Star games anymore. Almost no other baseball because the 20's version sucks. Pedro Borbon's arm never fell off. I mean, I know Diaz throws a lot harder than Pedro but 26 pitches over two days? I hardly think 10 or 12 more pitches would have ended his career. Old Hoss threw a dozen from his grave last night. 10 or 12 more pitches from Diaz and we would have had another win. Isn't that's what it's all about---winning games?
    Last edited by Ky Fried Redleg; 07-29-2022 at 11:48 AM.
    “It’s the mathematical potential for a single game to last forever, in a suspended world where no clock rules the day, that aligns baseball as much with the dead as the living.”
    ---- Bill Vaughn

"Science adjusts its views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved." ---Tim Minchin("Storm")

Quote Originally Posted by Ky Fried Redleg View Post
    Neither do I. That's why I watch Reds' games and that's all. Don't watch playoff games or All-Star games anymore. Almost no other baseball because the 20's version sucks. Pedro Borbon's arm never fell off. I mean, I know Diaz throws a lot harder than Pedro but 26 pitches over two days? I hardly think 10 or 12 more pitches would have ended his career. Old Hoss threw a dozen from his grave last night. 10 or 12 more pitches from Diaz and we would have had another win. Isn't that's what it's all about---winning games?
    That's what I always thought. The reason you play is to win. Not to save it for another day. Plenty of relievers in the 70's and 80's went multiple innings. If you aren't going to let starters go more than 5 or 6 most outings then it makes sense to have relievers go more than one. The more relievers you bring into a game the better the chance the game blows up on you. Just like we saw yesterday.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ky Fried Redleg View Post
    That's what I always thought. The reason you play is to win. Not to save it for another day. Plenty of relievers in the 70's and 80's went multiple innings. If you aren't going to let starters go more than 5 or 6 most outings then it makes sense to have relievers go more than one. The more relievers you bring into a game the better the chance the game blows up on you. Just like we saw yesterday.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Naquin!!!!
    Naquin's last great moment with the Reds.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Turn Off Ads?