Turn Off Ads?
Page 62 of 68 FirstFirst ... 1252585960616263646566 ... LastLast

Thread: Castillo Traded to Mariners

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Re: Castillo Traded to Mariners

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    2. The Reds already have a strong rotation for next year.
    Hoo boy, this is rosy.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

2. Likes:

Coopdaddy67 (09-24-2022),Kinsm (09-24-2022),LeatherPants (09-24-2022),mth123 (09-26-2022),REDREAD (09-24-2022),Revering4Blue (09-24-2022),RiverRat13 (09-24-2022),The Operator (09-24-2022),Tom Servo (09-24-2022),Wonderful Monds (09-24-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by WildcatFan View Post
    Hoo boy, this is rosy.
    They really don’t need to spend $100M on a starter. They will need to add a back of the rotation starter or two, but adding a an ace is not what the Reds need right now, or in the near future.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by LeatherPants View Post
    Please define “significantly higher”.
    Very close to what this season’s payroll was. You disagree, I know. We’ve had this discussion before, no need to do it again.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

They really don’t need to spend $100M on a starter. They will need to add a back of the rotation starter or two, but adding a an ace is not what the Reds need right now, or in the near future.

- - - Updated - - -

Very close to what this season’s payroll was. You disagree, I know. We’ve had this discussion before, no need to do it again.
    The active payroll is currently under $30 million, add Votto and Moose to it gets it to ~$70 million. That leaves ~$45 million you think the Reds are going to spend in a rebuilding season? Good luck with that.

6. Likes:

REDREAD (09-24-2022)

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Take a peek at the rotations of the playoff contenders and take a guess at where the 2023 Reds rotation with two back of the rotation starters would rank in that group.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

8. Likes:

REDREAD (09-24-2022),RiverRat13 (09-24-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    The Reds don't have a 5 year plan - in 5 years Lodolo, India, Greene and Stevenson will all be "too expensive" and be gone - they are hoping to strike big in 2024 and then rebuild again.
    Ahhh I didn’t say exactly what they were planning

10. Likes:

Revering4Blue (09-24-2022)

1. I am rather certain the Reds will have a payroll significantly higher than $60M next year.
    2. The Reds already have a strong rotation for next year.
    3. The Reds need help in many other area’s next year besides starting pitching. Adding this contract would prevent them from helping area’s of true need.
    4. It’s a 5 year deal. History tells us that Castillo will not be good for all of those 5 years. Odds are that he will either get hurt or decline during those 5 years.
    Please, for the love of all that is holy, stop typing that. It's a 100 loss rotation as of now.

Buying out Castillo's first 4 FA years covering his age 31-34 seasons for that price is a steal. The Reds most definitely could have afforded it, especially given the fact that they have no current player on the roster set to make big time dollars over those years.

Odds are good that he does decline by the end of the contract, odds are also good at least 3/5ths of our current rotation is not in the rotation in 24 months time let alone 5 years.

You sound like Big Bob's cheerleader, makes my stomach hurt.

12. Likes:

REDREAD (09-24-2022)

@75

You're basically saying the Reds are better off by not signing Castillo to a contract that looks like it's going to pay out something like...

15M for his final arb eligible season (his age 30 season)
    22M per for 4 FA years (his age 31-34 seasons)
    and a 5M option on a 5th year that could pay him 25M if it vests.

That is REDiculous!!!

Scherzer, Verlander, Strasburg, Cole making the likes of 40M$ per now as FA's but that would have been a bad investment for the Reds ???

14. Likes:

REDREAD (09-24-2022),RiverRat13 (09-24-2022),The Operator (09-24-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdaddy67 View Post
    Honestly, that's a steal for the Mariners.

If he waited until he was a FA and performs at the same rate, he's looking at double that total value.

With that said, it makes plenty of sense to just take $100 mil now and take the risk of injuries derailing your value off the table.

Makes me wonder what the Reds offered Castillo before they traded him...
    We know the Reds had no interest in extending Castillo.. Just like they had no interest in keeping Winker, Castallnos or anyone else making significant money.. They wanted to burn the team down, have no long term contracts. The amount of talent on the team was a secondary concern to that.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    The Reds don't have a 5 year plan - in 5 years Lodolo, India, Greene and Stevenson will all be "too expensive" and be gone - they are hoping to strike big in 2024 and then rebuild again.
    Yep, no plan other than "Minimize payroll, maybe the farm system gets us into the expanded playoffs eventually"
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    @75

You're basically saying the Reds are better off by not signing Castillo to a contract that looks like it's going to pay out something like...

That is REDiculous!!!

Scherzer, Verlander, Strasburg, Cole making the likes of 40M$ per now as FA's but that would have been a bad investment for the Reds ???
    Bruh you’re over analyzing 76’s posts.

With that said, would I have been glad the reds signed Castillo at this amount? Yes. However, we all thought the Homer Bailey signing was a steal as well.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

18. Likes:

Revering4Blue (09-24-2022)

Please, for the love of all that is holy, stop typing that. It's a 100 loss rotation as of now.

Buying out Castillo's first 4 FA years covering his age 31-34 seasons for that price is a steal. The Reds most definitely could have afforded it, especially given the fact that they have no current player on the roster set to make big time dollars over those years.

Odds are good that he does decline by the end of the contract, odds are also good at least 3/5ths of our current rotation is not in the rotation in 24 months time let alone 5 years.

You sound like Big Bob's cheerleader, makes my stomach hurt.
    Nearly every team would kill to have Greene, Lodolo and Ashcroft anchoring their rotation. Again, there is no need to add a top of the rotation starter for $100M to this team.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Bruh you’re over analyzing 76’s posts.

With that said, would I have been glad the reds signed Castillo at this amount? Yes. However, we all thought the Homer Bailey signing was a steal as well.

Castillo’s contract has a nifty TJS clause in it.

Nearly every team would kill to have Greene, Lodolo and Ashcroft anchoring their rotation. Again, there is no need to add a top of the rotation starter for $100M to this team.
    Sure they would, they'd also go out and find 2 more guys who have proven track records - you know guys who have pitched more than ~120 innings in a big league season.

The Reds are on pace to lose 100 games this year with those 3 and 1/2 season each from Luis and Tyler, they must get more starting pitching...proven starting pitching...GOOD proven starting pitching.

22. Likes:

Fil3232 (09-24-2022),LeatherPants (09-24-2022),REDREAD (09-24-2022),Revering4Blue (09-24-2022),Wonderful Monds (09-24-2022)

Sure they would, they'd also go out and find 2 more guys who have proven track records - you know guys who have pitched more than ~120 innings in a big league season.

The Reds are on pace to lose 100 games this year with those 3 and 1/2 season each from Luis and Tyler, they must get more starting pitching...proven starting pitching...GOOD proven starting pitching.
    I said that. They need some innings eaters to fill out the rotation. What they don’t need is a $100M top of the rotation guy.

@75

That is REDiculous!!!

The Reds will always be better off without a $100M dedicated to one starting pitcher over the age of 30.

Turn Off Ads?