Turn Off Ads?
Page 54 of 68 FirstFirst ... 44450515253545556575864 ... LastLast

Thread: Castillo Traded to Mariners

Re: Castillo Traded to Mariners

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    I have no desire to watch weenie arms at SS with the range of a pregnant camel.
    I don’t know who will play SS next year. I just hope it’s not Barrero. I’m fine with Drury at 3rd though.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    Oh. Agreed. It’s a big fat tbd as all trades for prospects are. It just seems like the likelihood of that tbd for the Reds being good is high.
    I agree. Hopefully, one of the SS's can become a legit all-star caliber player.

4. Likes:

Old school 1983 (08-01-2022)

If Castillo faces Montas in the playoffs, that will be classic.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFanInMS View Post
    I agree. Hopefully, one of the SS's can become a legit all-star caliber player.
    The REDS have a nice tradition of All-Star SS's.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Mariners are 1-7 vs the Astros and Yankees since the All-Star break and the games have been getting uglier for Seattle. Their only win was a come-from-behind with 2 outs in the 9th in a game where they lost Julio Rodriquez and another player, both to the IL, on HBP's.

They need Castillo's help more than ever on Wednesday afternoon, who can salvage a very rough road trip.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Name:  1yoolhubd6f91.jpg
Views: 434
Size:  92.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    While I agree with 90 per cent of this, the bolded part isn't quite true.

I know it seems like they tanked for 5 years, but it was really 3.5 seasons (mid '15-'18). "19 wasn't a tanking year by any means, as they made an honest effort to win, it just didn't work. But they did land Bauer that year, Anyway, you're still on the right track as it was 4 calendar years (Byrd in December '14 - December '18) before they even attempted to acquire established actual major league talent, which is/was indefensible no matter the state of the rebuild.

Let's hope they don't go with another basically kids only plan. As kc said in a recent post, we've seen that movie before.
    I will concede that you can call the tanking 4-5 years, it depends on how you count it. (And 3.5 years is fine too)
    But 2022 definitely starts the clock again. They are so low in MLB Talent now, even if they try to build the team up, they are at least 3 years away.
    Note, I am assuming there isn't going to be a massive cash infusion..
    Last edited by REDREAD; 08-02-2022 at 02:46 PM.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    I will concede that you can call the tanking 4-5 years, it depends on how you count it. (And 3.5 years is fine too)
    But 2022 definitely starts the clock again. They are so low in MLB Talent now, even if they try to build the team up, they are at least 3 years away.
    Note, I am assuming there isn't going to be a massive cash infusion..
    I think this is what is separating the optimist from the pessimists. I'm not expecting the Reds to turn into the Yankees or Dodgers, but the Reds should have more than enough cash this offseason to bring in multiple free agents that can help this team. Lose the Votto/Moose contracts after that and they should be able to either sign a couple more or look at extending an India/Stephenson before they hit FA.

If this team is 3 years from being competent again that would be horrible mismanagement that will continue the rebuilding cycle all over again. By that time yes, we will be talking about moving on from India/Stephenson and possibly even Greene/Lodolo for prospect hauls. I'm certainly trusting the Reds front office quite a bit when they probably shouldn't be given the benefit of things, but I see a different, smarter approach with this GM. I worry about ownership giving Krall the resources to actually be successful, but history has shown with the Castellinis that they will be very cheap until all of a sudden they aren't.

The Cincinnati Reds Baseball Club is no longer worthy of our trust.

The will have to redeem themselves with their actions over a period of several years, and even then it is already too late for a significant portion of their fan base.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

11. Likes:

cumberlandreds (08-04-2022),REDREAD (08-02-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post

The will have to redeem themselves with their actions over a period of several years, and even then it is already too late for a significant portion of their fan base.
    If a fan gets to that point I honestly think it's time to move on. Find a new hobby or find a new team. No sense in wasting time on this earth with an organization that only brings pain with minimal long term hope. If the trust is gone there is really no point in sticking around. It's like staying in an abusive relationship.

13. Likes:

Ron Madden (08-02-2022),SoTxRedsFan (08-02-2022),TRF (08-02-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post

The Reds are a big dumpster fire right now. Ownership has no trust. The owner's idiot son went out there and insulted the fans on opening day and still can't get out of his own way.

The way the handled the start of the season was terrible. Miley for nothing, trading Winker and adding in Suarez to save money, Gray to save money, it provided the fans no trust in the organization.

All of that said, these are the moves that needed to be made. Trading Castillo now had to happen. Holding onto him for another season would have greatly diminished his return. You can't have another Cueto scenario where you held onto him for too long.

If you are the Reds, and it ain't bolted down, it should be traded. They need to replenish all levels of the minors in hoping to build a sustainable organization. I am skeptical that it will work....... but its the right move.

15. Likes:

REDREAD (08-02-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Krivsky View Post
    I think this is what is separating the optimist from the pessimists. I'm not expecting the Reds to turn into the Yankees or Dodgers, but the Reds should have more than enough cash this offseason to bring in multiple free agents that can help this team. Lose the Votto/Moose contracts after that and they should be able to either sign a couple more or look at extending an India/Stephenson before they hit FA.

If this team is 3 years from being competent again that would be horrible mismanagement that will continue the rebuilding cycle all over again. By that time yes, we will be talking about moving on from India/Stephenson and possibly even Greene/Lodolo for prospect hauls. I'm certainly trusting the Reds front office quite a bit when they probably shouldn't be given the benefit of things, but I see a different, smarter approach with this GM. I worry about ownership giving Krall the resources to actually be successful, but history has shown with the Castellinis that they will be very cheap until all of a sudden they aren't.
    I agree with you, they should be able to spend a lot more money. I think it's going to be at least another 3 years before they start to spend again (if ever) unless ownership changes.
    The Reds could have just not torn down what they had, wait for Shogo, Moose, etc to roll off and then reload with a pretty young core.. Maybe Castillo would be more amiable to extension talks if the Reds hadn't just burnt the team to the ground (let's assume they actually had serious talks with him)
    On top of that, the Reds are laughingstocks now. IT will be hard to attract high quality FAs. We will only be able to attract guys like Pham who are just "ok" and chasing the biggest paycheck.

I do hope you are right.. I agree the Reds COULD spend a lot of money, as early as this winter. I am just highly skeptical.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

17. Likes:

Roy Tucker (08-03-2022)

Bobby Nightengale
    nightengalejr

Truly the Seattle Redlegs. Luis Castillo and Curt Casali reunite as batterymates.

Robert Murray
    @ByRobertMurray

The Seattle Mariners are acquiring catcher Curt Casali from the San Francisco Giants for Michael Stryffeler, according to sources familiar with the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    The Seattle Mariners are acquiring catcher Curt Casali from the San Francisco Giants for Michael Stryffeler, according to sources familiar with the situation.
    Mariners really are becoming the West Coast Former Reds!

https://cupofcoffee.substack.com/p/c...m_medium=email

The Diamondbacks released Dan Straily from his minor-league deal on Monday, allowing him to sign a one-year, $400,000 contract with the Lotte Giants of the KBO. He now will go back to Korea for the second time in his career. In 2020 he led the KBO in strikeouts while also pitching for the Giants;

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    Name:  1yoolhubd6f91.jpg
Views: 434
Size:  92.3 KB
    Meh…. Give me the old school trident M like the ones they painted on the 77 Topps cards.

Man those paint jobs were hideous.

22. Likes:

M2 (08-03-2022)

Turn Off Ads?