Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Noelvi Marte

Re: Noelvi Marte

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    I'm guessing Marte really wants to stick at SS. The Reds are trying to appease him, while letting him develop offensively. They figure that if he can handle shortstop, he can handle 3B. (Which, for the most part, is absolutely right.)

If McLain and/or EDLC lay claim to the SS position, Marte will then be shuffled elsewhere-- likely at Marte's request.
    Gotta figure if you potentially have to trade someone that an excellent SS prospect is worth more than an excellent 3B.
    “The guys we've had for the most part have been serviceable at this level.”

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Gotta figure if you potentially have to trade someone that an excellent SS prospect is worth more than an excellent 3B.
    The issue is that Marte doesn't profile to be a SS at the major league level.

He'd have to get in elite shape-- and stay there.

His Goldilocks Zone might make him a below average defender at the position, but that's about it.

I think Marte is gonna be a third baseman.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

5. Likes:

Mitri (05-29-2023),Sea Ray (05-29-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I think Marte is gonna be a third baseman.
    A couple of these guys are going to have to learn to play OF. If we don’t think Marte is that guy - fine. But we’re already squeezing out three former top-100 prospects in India, Senzel, and Barerro.

If the 2024 IF is CES, EDLC, McLain, and Steer… I mean… something’s gotta give.

Marte might be the guy to flip for a major league player with a few years of control, ie in a Trammell-type deal.

There is no valid excuse for this team not to be shooting for the division in 2024. Young talent+tons of payflex in a weak division.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    I'm guessing Marte really wants to stick at SS. The Reds are trying to appease him, while letting him develop offensively. They figure that if he can handle shortstop, he can handle 3B. (Which, for the most part, is absolutely right.)

If McLain and/or EDLC lay claim to the SS position, Marte will then be shuffled elsewhere-- likely at Marte's request.
    I think this is one part of it, I think the other part of it is that if they need to flip a prospect for something else on another team, Marte's ability at SS (assuming that he's good enough to play a passable SS at the ML level) will be on display, if they play him exclusively at 3b, then the other team is going to question is ability to handle SS at the ML level and possibly lesson his trade value.
    Posting in the clutch since twenty ought two.

I think Marte is the 3B of the future. They targeted him in the Castillo trade for a reason, so I think it’s unlikely they flip him in the short term unless it’s in a deal that is overwhelmingly in the Reds’ favor. India seems like the odd man out of the IF mix to me. Multiple guys in the 2B/3B mix that offer much better defense at both spots. Seems ticketed for LF next season, but I could definitely be wrong on that.
    Last edited by Alpha Zero; 05-30-2023 at 01:19 PM.

Yeah, I am not trading Marte if I am the Reds. I get why everyone is all excited and want to dump all the best prospects to pick up SPs or whatever, but all that would do is mortgage the actual good future the Reds are building towards.

Think about it this way: What would the Rays do? Would the Rays trade Noevile Marte for a SP with 700 major league innings on his arm?

No. No, they would not.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

11. Likes:

Marty Brennihan (05-31-2023),Tom Servo (05-30-2023)

I agree that Marte is unlikely to go anywhere. To play devils advocate though how much more value would Marte have now as a 21 year old playing very well in AA and could very realistically be on an MLB opening day roster in 2024? The Reds in theory could cash in on their investment after just a year, open up a spot for a guy like India at 3B, land a TOR type starter, and you still have some very good IF prospects like Carlos Jorge at the lower levels for when the bill comes due on paying McLain, EDLC, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Yeah, I am not trading Marte if I am the Reds. I get why everyone is all excited and want to dump all the best prospects to pick up SPs or whatever, but all that would do is mortgage the actual good future the Reds are building towards.

Think about it this way: What would the Rays do? Would the Rays trade Noevile Marte for a SP with 700 major league innings on his arm?

No. No, they would not.
    Agree on this. This is what a rebuild done right looks like for a small market team. Don’t short circuit the progress by throwing away a big chunk the prospect stockpile for arms with a couple years of control left.

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    I think this is one part of it, I think the other part of it is that if they need to flip a prospect for something else on another team, Marte's ability at SS (assuming that he's good enough to play a passable SS at the ML level) will be on display, if they play him exclusively at 3b, then the other team is going to question is ability to handle SS at the ML level and possibly lesson his trade value.
    Good point, medford.

John Sadak
    @johnsadak
    ·
    3h
    Noelvi Marte has been HOT!

Thru Apr. 24: .186/.284/.305/.589

Since: .347/.412/.587/.999

Fun Fact: After playing SS almost exclusively from Apr. 25-May 23, he’s only been at 3B for the last week-plus. ��

He’s also 21 all season. League AVG is 24.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

16. Likes:

Kingspoint (06-03-2023),Tom Servo (06-03-2023)

The move to 3rd has been fairly recent. He's also been leading off, which is interesting as well.

18. Likes:

Kingspoint (06-03-2023)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

I suspect leading off is to get him as many plate appearances as possible, to get a much experience as possible against AA starters.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

20. Likes:

Kingspoint (06-03-2023),Old school 1983 (06-03-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    I suspect leading off is to get him as many plate appearances as possible, to get a much experience as possible against AA starters.
    They moved Ivan Johnson to 2nd this week, who also happens to have a lot of speed, so Marte and Johnson offer up a very fast 1-2 punch in Chattanooga.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Turn Off Ads?