Turn Off Ads?
Page 23 of 30 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: The futility thread.. 100, 102 loss watch

Re: The futility thread.. 100, 102 loss watch

And people said the Reds would not be playing important games in October.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

2. Likes:

elrojo (10-05-2022),George Anderson (10-05-2022),jimbo (10-05-2022),M2 (10-05-2022),Mitri (10-05-2022),RedsFanInMS (10-05-2022),Wonderful Monds (10-05-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    I get wanting 100 losses to send a message to the future about how bad ownership was, but it's nice to see the young cats get some scrappy wins to exit the season. I'll take that over signals that will fall flat on the scum that continue to hold this team ransom.

Next year they'll stink again, but if these guys can learn to play solid team baseball (defense, baserunning, solid at-bats) it's an improvement. Adding actual talent would make a real difference, but at least there's a little something to build upon.
    If I thought these were the guys who were going to be part of something good on the other side, I'd agree. Yet I suspect very few of the current cohort will be around the next time the Reds are relevant. And their last stand against losing 100 games is testament to how it's a stigma that does mean something. No one wants that ignominy if they can avoid it.

Yet that's where I get to a pretty firm conviction the team's ownership DESERVES it. This albatross needs to get hung around the neck of the Castellinis. They need to be afflicted.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

5. Likes:

REDREAD (10-05-2022),RedsFanInMS (10-05-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    If I thought these were the guys who were going to be part of something good on the other side, I'd agree. Yet I suspect very few of the current cohort will be around the next time the Reds are relevant. And their last stand against losing 100 games is testament to how it's a stigma that does mean something. No one wants that ignominy if they can avoid it.

Yet that's where I get to a pretty firm conviction the team's ownership DESERVES it. This albatross needs to get hung around the neck of the Castellinis. They need to be afflicted.
    1. Phil Castellini couldn’t care less about 100 loses or how bad this team looks. He will never be afflicted. All he cares about is profit, and that will be the same no matter what the team’s record is. That’s the problem.

2. India, Stephenson, Barrero, Fraley, Friedl, Farmer, Greene, Lodolo, Ashcraft, Diaz, and a few more will be around for a few years. Now, if you don’t think anything good will happen during the next 5 years, then nothing matters. Why waste bandwidth discussing it?

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    1. Phil Castellini couldn’t care less about 100 loses or how bad this team looks. He will never be afflicted. All he cares about is profit, and that will be the same no matter what the team’s record is. That’s the problem.
    You say that, but how long did the Williamses own the Reds after 1982? The Castellinis can laugh off a lot of things from atop their big pile of money, but being reviled has a way of following you to the country club.

2. India, Stephenson, Barrero, Fraley, Friedl, Farmer, Greene, Lodolo, Ashcraft, Diaz, and a few more will be around for a few years. Now, if you don’t think anything good will happen during the next 5 years, then nothing matters. Why waste bandwidth discussing it?
    We've seen nine- and six-year skids this century. This one is kicking off with a new low (for this century). What on earth makes you think it can/will end quickly?
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

8. Likes:

You say that, but how long did the Williamses own the Reds after 1982? The Castellinis can laugh off a lot of things from atop their big pile of money, but being reviled has a way of following you to the country club.

We've seen nine- and six-year skids this century. This one is kicking off with a new low (for this century). What on earth makes you think it can/will end quickly?
    I can think of three reasons off the top of my head…

Hunter Greene
    Nick Lodolo
    Graham Ashcraft

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by backbencher View Post
    Who said this, ever?

The Reds are literally the poorest family in the neighborhood. That doesn't mean they can't have a great meal - the Rays do it, the Guardians, the Brewers - but it does mean that they have to be extra-smart with their resources. Take advantage of sales and coupons (market inefficiencies and youth) and save the money for the items you cannot get any other way.
    Almost had an aneurysm reading the Reds referred to as “poor” in any sense

Aside from that though - their realistic budget is whatever they want it to be. Like I said elsewhere in the last few days, it’s not like St. Louis is a media market that’s vastly more huge than Cincinnati, and yet the Cardinals spend like the big shots and they get results. They made their own market because they take this seriously. Any team in the league can spend up to that luxury tax threshold/defacto salary cap. They simply choose not to.

11. Likes:

LeatherPants (10-05-2022),M2 (10-05-2022),REDREAD (10-05-2022),RedsFanInMS (10-05-2022),Tom Servo (10-05-2022)

I can think of three reasons off the top of my head…

Hunter Greene
    Nick Lodolo
    Graham Ashcraft
    And the Reds need to add roughly 14-18 more players to their current team in order to be competitive. That's too many holes to "Build from within" which is what Krall and Phil C are selling us on.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

13. Likes:

M2 (10-05-2022),RedsFanInMS (10-05-2022),Roy Tucker (10-05-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Almost had an aneurysm reading the Reds referred to as “poor” in any sense

Aside from that though - their realistic budget is whatever they want it to be. Like I said elsewhere in the last few days, it’s not like St. Louis is a media market that’s vastly more huge than Cincinnati, and yet the Cardinals spend like the big shots and they get results. They made their own market because they take this seriously. Any team in the league can spend up to that luxury tax threshold/defacto salary cap. They simply choose not to.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing fans that there’s such a thing as a small market Major League Baseball franchise.

Owning a team is a license to print money.

15. Likes:

dfs (10-05-2022),M2 (10-05-2022),REDREAD (10-05-2022),RedsFanInMS (10-05-2022),RiverRat13 (10-05-2022),Wonderful Monds (10-05-2022)

I have to believe that India/Stephenson, Greene/Lodolo/Ashcraft/Diaz, Steer/Barrero and possibly Friedl/Fraley could be part of the next winning run. They won't all be cogs, and they don't have to be. But there's a start to something interesting, and I'd rather they win than lose.

We're all willing to endure a little pain just by being here. I wouldn't mind if these guys learn to clean the crap off their shoes, even if all they do is teach the next cohort how to do it.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LeatherPants View Post
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing fans that there’s such a thing as a small market Major League Baseball franchise.

Owning a team is a license to print money.

18. Likes:

camisadelgolf (10-08-2022),Fil3232 (10-05-2022),LeatherPants (10-05-2022),M2 (10-05-2022),Mitri (10-05-2022),REDREAD (10-05-2022),RiverRat13 (10-05-2022),Tom Servo (10-05-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    And the Reds need to add roughly 14-18 more players to their current team in order to be competitive. That's too many holes to "Build from within" which is what Krall and Phil C are selling us on.
    They also have $70M at a minimum to spend in 2023 to get those free agents.

They can be competitive if they want to be.

Reds' ownership does not want to be competitive.

20. Likes:

Not feasible. If that's these idiots plan then look for 90-100 losses for the foreseeable future. You can build a core from within, but to win consistently you must add from free agency and non salary dump trades. You have to spend some money. Period. End of story.

22. Likes:

REDREAD (10-05-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post

Reds' ownership does not want to be competitive.
    Shout this from the rooftops.

24. Likes:

REDREAD (10-05-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by LeatherPants View Post
    Shout this from the rooftops.
    How much more money would come to Cincinnati if they were. How much would come to their pockets? I’m sure playoff appearances mean millions more in revenue. Acting like they don’t want to win is ridiculous.

Grow some and buy some. And do it now. If you wait till the young guys are ready, you’ve already wasted 1/2 your window. The Reds don’t seem to understand this.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

27. Likes:

REDREAD (10-05-2022)

Turn Off Ads?