Turn Off Ads?
Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 19252627282930 LastLast

Thread: The futility thread.. 100, 102 loss watch

Re: The futility thread.. 100, 102 loss watch

Quote Originally Posted by David Cubbedge View Post
    What did the Reds do following that dreadful 1982 101 loss season?

Released Bob Shirley to free agency
    SP 8-13 3.60 ERA

Released catcher Clint Hurdle
    .206/.270/.235 in 19 games

Released outfielder Larry Biittner
    .310/.369/.413

Traded Tom Seaver 5-13 5.50 to the New York Mets for Jason Felice (minors), Lloyd McClendon and Charlie Puleo 9-9 4.47

Traded Bench bat OF Mike Vail to the San Francisco Giants for Rich Gale 7-14 4.23

Traded Catcher Mike O'Berry to the Angels for bench bat John Harris

Drafted OF Tracy Jones in the first round.

Needless to say, the team didn't do much to help themselves after that season. 1983 Reds Record = 74-88.
    A 14 game improvement is significant

Clint Hurdle didn't play any games at catcher for the Reds. In fact he only played that position for 22 games his entire career
    Last edited by Sea Ray; 10-07-2022 at 08:24 AM.

2. Likes:

cumberlandreds (10-07-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I'll agree with you there. If next years team improves by 14 games I will be estastic. But by the comments Krall just made I think we will have another 100+ loss season.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

5. Likes:

REDREAD (10-07-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I'll agree with you there. If next years team improves by 14 games I will be estastic. But by the comments Krall just made I think we will have another 100+ loss season.
    I honestly think they'll be better. Not good that Krall is moaning doom and gloom

If you read the full article, you would come away with a different, better conclusion. I posted quotes from it in another thread.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    If you read the full article, you would come away with a different, better conclusion. I posted quotes from it in another thread.
    I did and I didn't. It was just more words of the same IMO. Nightengale just gave the Readers Digest version. They aren't going to spend any money on any worthwhile players that would make a difference. I expect an even worse season next year.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

9. Likes:

REDREAD (10-07-2022)

I did and I didn't. It was just more words of the same IMO. Nightengale just gave the Readers Digest version. They aren't going to spend any money on any worthwhile players that would make a difference. I expect an even worse season next year.
    Krall literally said they will be trying to improve the team and they are not happy with where they are now. I don’t see how that fits your interpretation.

I am sorry 2022 broke you, like it did many fans, but the quotes from Krall are clear if you read them objectively.

Krall literally said they will be trying to improve the team and they are not happy with where they are now. I don’t see how that fits your interpretation.

I am sorry 2022 broke you, like it did many fans, but the quotes from Krall are clear if you read them objectively.
    I'm not going to rain on your optimistic parade so if you believe they will spend money on worthwhile players good for you. I hope you are right.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

I'm not going to rain on your optimistic parade so if you believe they will spend money on worthwhile players good for you. I hope you are right.
    I never said they will spend money on worthwhile players, just that they will try to improve. They might do a terrible job at it, they might spend on terrible players like Minor. I am not as optimistic as you think.

I am just reading the article objectively, not as eeyore, which is how most Reds fans likely will be reading it after 2022.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post

Clint Hurdle didn't play any games at catcher for the Reds. In fact he only played that position for 22 games his entire career
    Actually, it was 13 games.

But still significant.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    You add 2 solid starting pitchers and 2 proven relievers and this is a .500 team next season even with a bottom 5 offense.

You add 2 good bats and no pitching and this is a 70 win team at best next season.
    Exactly. I've felt like a lone voice in the darkness on this issue.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Exactly. I've felt like a lone voice in the darkness on this issue.
    I don’t disagree with you on the principle of the matter. But, the goal for me isn’t necessarily to get to 500 next year. It’s to build the team to have a sustained run of over 500 seasons. The Reds currently have a bevy of pitchers that could take the last 2 spots in the rotation. And do so on the cheap allowing them to spend elsewhere. As far as the rest of the team, the pen has one trustworthy guy, RF has 0, and backup catcher has 0. If the Reds want to spend anything this off-season on pieces that will stick around, they should do so to fill gaps where nothing is in sight. IMO that starts with RF, backup catcher, and the back end of the pen. I agree they need those last two starters spots filled. And I’d not be heartbroken if they brought in a legit piece to fill them. But I think the other areas i mentioned are more of a priority because there is zilch in house that even could think about filling those roles currently.

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    I don’t disagree with you on the principle of the matter. But, the goal for me isn’t necessarily to get to 500 next year. It’s to build the team to have a sustained run of over 500 seasons. The Reds currently have a bevy of pitchers that could take the last 2 spots in the rotation. And do so on the cheap allowing them to spend elsewhere. As far as the rest of the team, the pen has one trustworthy guy, RF has 0, and backup catcher has 0. If the Reds want to spend anything this off-season on pieces that will stick around, they should do so to fill gaps where nothing is in sight. IMO that starts with RF, backup catcher, and the back end of the pen. I agree they need those last two starters spots filled. And I’d not be heartbroken if they brought in a legit piece to fill them. But I think the other areas i mentioned are more of a priority because there is zilch in house that even could think about filling those roles currently.
    Agree with the goal. That's why you need a long term solution to the two open rotation positions. I'm not advocating for a one-year stopgap (whether pitcher or hitter). The Reds won't win in 2023 no matter what they do. But if you want to compete in 2024 and 2025, why is it out of the question to get the impact starter now, while the payroll is relatively low and there really isn't anyone coming anyway?

They are going to need to add for at least the next two or three years if the goal is competitiveness every year. They aren't getting it all in one off-season. If they don't add long term pieces this winter, it just pushes the competitive window back another season. The Reds have plenty of young position players of varying degrees of potential to review for roles in 2023. Friedl, Fiarchild, Steer, Barrero immediately, eventually McLain, De LA Cruz. Encarnacion-Strand, McGarry and Marte - maybe TJ Hopkins as well. Pitching is where they don't really have a rotation pipeline. All the top prospects are position guys, the AAA and AA pitchers all had poor seasons and most look-like relievers. Spend the resources on solutions not stopgaps. Given the state of the pipeline, that says pitching now, position guys next winter after you've had a season to sort all those guys out.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by David Cubbedge View Post
    What did the Reds do following that dreadful 1982 101 loss season?

Released Bob Shirley to free agency
    SP 8-13 3.60 ERA

Released catcher Clint Hurdle
    .206/.270/.235 in 19 games

Released outfielder Larry Biittner
    .310/.369/.413

Traded Tom Seaver 5-13 5.50 to the New York Mets for Jason Felice (minors), Lloyd McClendon and Charlie Puleo 9-9 4.47

Traded Bench bat OF Mike Vail to the San Francisco Giants for Rich Gale 7-14 4.23

Traded Catcher Mike O'Berry to the Angels for bench bat John Harris

Drafted OF Tracy Jones in the first round.

Needless to say, the team didn't do much to help themselves after that season. 1983 Reds Record = 74-88.
    This is such a great question. And I can't find a definitive answer.

The Reds ERA and pitching in general was worse and they gave up 49 more runs in 1983.

The Reds batting average was much worse yet they scored 116 more runs. Their OBP was slightly better and they did walk about 118 more times but also struck out a lot more. They did up their stolen base totals and I'm guessing the combination of Milner(his one year of experience) and Redus probably added more runs just with their base running skills. Also, I'm guessing that having Esasky and Krenchicki playing the majority of hot corner innings instead of Johnny Bench might have saved a few more total bases. Bench's 3rd base play in 1982 might have been the worst ever.

In head to head competition, they gained ground on 7 teams, stayed the same with 3 teams(Dodgers, Expos and Mets) and only lost ground to one (Astros (2 more losses)). Their biggest gains were against SF(4 more wins/less losses) and SD (3 more wins/less losses).

The only answer I can come up with is that it had more to do with some NL teams coming down closer to the Reds level than it did to the Reds raising their own level. So I'm wondering if the NL had a bunch of teams getting old and falling off the cliff along with maybe a lot of NLs best players moving over to AL?
    Last edited by foster15; 10-07-2022 at 02:31 PM.

18. Likes:

REDREAD (10-07-2022)

Krall literally said they will be trying to improve the team and they are not happy with where they are now.
    Again. What would a GM of a 100 loss team be expected to say? I have no problem with what he said because that's what he better be saying after a disasterous season.

My question to Mr Krall - "You said you will be trying to improve the team. Improve how? What path are you going to follow to fill the numerous, glaring holes?"

JMO. But there's no way this organization can fill the many glaring holes through their farm system. A sea of holes. Yet is that what they are expecting to do. Because if you'll notice, the articles I have read state they are at the beginning of a rebuild. So will '23 be another trial and error season for the fans?
    Last edited by GAC; 10-08-2022 at 07:15 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

20. Likes:

REDREAD (10-08-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Again. What would a GM of a 100 loss team be expected to say? I have no problem with what he said because that's what he better be saying after a disasterous season.

My question to Mr Krall - "You said you will be trying to improve the team. Improve how? What path are you going to follow to fill the numerous, glaring holes?"

JMO. But there's no way this organization can fill the many glaring holes through their farm system. A sea of holes. Yet is that what they are expecting to do. Because if you'll notice, the articles I have read state they are at the beginning of a rebuild. So will '23 be another trial and error season for the fans?
    The plan, or lack thereof, is to punt 2023. Any reds fan on here hoping for the Reds to be competitive next season need to realize, now, they will not be.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

22. Likes:

LeatherPants (10-08-2022),REDREAD (10-08-2022)

Turn Off Ads?