Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: The futility thread.. 100, 102 loss watch

Re: The futility thread.. 100, 102 loss watch

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    I'm fully expecting at least 100 losses. Who cares?
    It's a LONG shot, but I am hoping that if the Reds lose 100 games, ticket sales will plummet and maybe the Castanellis will reconsider this 'slash and burn' plan they've been doing ever since Leake and Ceuto were traded. Yes, there was some FA spending in that period to try to make the rebuild look like a success, but overall, this franchise has been a disaster since Walt left.
    Note.. I think Dick Williams wanted to win and was trying -- this is not a criticism of him -- the results just did not materialize.
    Krall, on the other hand, is incompetent. Krall is a perfect example of the Peter principle working yet again in Cincy.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    It's a LONG shot, but I am hoping that if the Reds lose 100 games, ticket sales will plummet and maybe the Castanellis will reconsider this 'slash and burn' plan they've been doing ever since Leake and Ceuto were traded. Yes, there was some FA spending in that period to try to make the rebuild look like a success, but overall, this franchise has been a disaster since Walt left.
    Note.. I think Dick Williams wanted to win and was trying -- this is not a criticism of him -- the results just did not materialize.
    Krall, on the other hand, is incompetent. Krall is a perfect example of the Peter principle working yet again in Cincy.
    Williams’ Reds got to above .500. I’m not sure that’s a bad result given the salary constraints. It could have improved more had they not torn things down. He wasn’t perfect but he did improve the team meaningfully.

Krall is a a reflection of ownership. I don’t have any opinion of him, good or bad. He’s been tasked with tearing down the team (again) and collecting prospects. It’s a thankless job since most of the prospects are years away.

I believe ownership will spend more this coming off-season. They seem quite reactive to short-term events. The current short-term event is the shell occupying the GABP ball field despite all this rebuilding.
    Last edited by Kc61; 08-17-2022 at 11:18 AM.

4. Likes:

Mutaman (08-17-2022),REDREAD (08-17-2022)

100 losses is embarrassing for Phil Castellani.

Everything else about it is sad and not something I wish for at all

6. Likes:

cumberlandreds (08-18-2022),Ron Madden (08-17-2022)

Re questions of FO competence or incompetence (or somewhere between): Was it Williams or Krall who signed the Moustakas and Shogo contracts? Hard for me to keep the insider players straight.

8. Likes:

REDREAD (08-17-2022),Revering4Blue (08-17-2022)

Going to be next to impossible to avoid 100 losses with this current lineup and rotation.
    The pen has been bad all year. But before the deadline minus April this was right at a .500 team.
    They will be lucky to win one game per series now.

10. Likes:

REDREAD (08-17-2022),Revering4Blue (08-17-2022)

I don't think they can go 18-29 rest of the way to avoid the 100 losses.

12. Likes:

REDREAD (08-17-2022)

When they had Castillo and Mahle in the rotation, they had a good shot at winning those games.

Ashcraft and Lodolo are maybes but they will probably get put on the shelf at some time in September. Greene is either very good or very bad and the same for September.

If we think things are bad now, just wait till those guys are out. The bottom of the starter barrel will get scraped very hard.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

14. Likes:

mth123 (08-17-2022),REDREAD (08-17-2022),Revering4Blue (08-17-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Williams’ Reds got to above .500. I’m not sure that’s a bad result given the salary constraints. It could have improved more had they not torn things down. He wasn’t perfect but he did improve the team meaningfully.

Krall is a a reflection of ownership. I don’t have any opinion of him, good or bad. He’s been tasked with tearing down the team (again) and collecting prospects. It’s a thankless job since most of the prospects are years away.

I believe ownership will spend more this coming off-season. They seem quite reactive to short-term events. The current short-term event is the shell occupying the GABP ball field despite all this rebuilding.
    While I don't disagree, I am a bit harsher on Williams because the fruit of all that tanking was just two seasons of .500 ball.
    If that's all tanking gives us, it's not worth tanking.
    Let's try something else. Of course, I am speaking hypothetically.

I fear that ticket sales will be down and the Castallanis -- whom only seem to think short term will figure that's it's not worth spending on a team to make it a 85-90 loss team instead of a 100 loss team.
    There's plenty of redszoners that have basically said the same thing.

I am joking about this, but it's almost as if the owners got together and made sure the Chicago and Houston tanking would be successful so that they can point to those franchises as a model that proves tanking works, and thus 1/3 of the league is stuck in tanking. The teams not tanking benefit from the tanking teams supplying talent to them. There's your conspiracy theory for the day

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Re questions of FO competence or incompetence (or somewhere between): Was it Williams or Krall who signed the Moustakas and Shogo contracts? Hard for me to keep the insider players straight.
    Agreed, as outsiders, it's hard for us to know which guy to blame for that.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Phil Castellini couldn’t care less about 100 loses. The way he slashed the payroll this offseason is proof of that.

The numbers he cares about are attendance numbers, revenue, dollars. It already has been established that his moves resulted in a crashing of attendance, of merchandise sales, of revenue, of dollars in his bank account. He will pay attention to that. He clearly doesn’t care how many loses the Reds have.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

17. Likes:

Revering4Blue (08-17-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    When they had Castillo and Mahle in the rotation, they had a good shot at winning those games.

Ashcraft and Lodolo are maybes but they will probably get put on the shelf at some time in September. Greene is either very good or very bad and the same for September.

If we think things are bad now, just wait till those guys are out. The bottom of the starter barrel will get scraped very hard.
    Exactly. In spite of all the other holes, the best way to improve this team in 2023 is another solid starting pitcher or two.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

19. Likes:

Revering4Blue (08-17-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Reds at 45-70 (0.391)

47 games left
    Reds need to go 17-30 (0.362) the rest of the way to hit 100 losses.
    I think they've lost 4 of the last 5 (Cubs and Phillies)..
    Pitching has been bad lately, as some have predicted.
    100 losses more likely since the last update, IMO.
    They'll blow past that 100 loss finish line before they know what hit them!

"In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

21. Likes:

cumberlandreds (08-18-2022),OldFashionedRed (08-17-2022),REDREAD (08-17-2022),Revering4Blue (08-17-2022),Roy Tucker (08-17-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Phil Castellini couldn’t care less about 100 loses. The way he slashed the payroll this offseason is proof of that.

The numbers he cares about are attendance numbers, revenue, dollars. It already has been established that his moves resulted in a crashing of attendance, of merchandise sales, of revenue, of dollars in his bank account. He will pay attention to that. He clearly doesn’t care how many loses the Reds have.
    After three scotch and sodas at the 19th hole he'll care when someone mentions it.

And right then an angel will get its wings

23. Likes:

757690 (08-17-2022),OldFashionedRed (08-17-2022),Revering4Blue (08-17-2022),Roy Tucker (08-17-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Exactly. In spite of all the other holes, the best way to improve this team in 2023 is another solid starting pitcher or two.
    That, and some dang offense. This club has nearly zero speed, very little power. And poor Diaz and Detwiler can't carry the bullpen by themselves.
    "He reminds me of me when I was that age -- the way he plays the game, I mean," Pete Rose talking about Chris Sabo

Quote Originally Posted by OldFashionedRed View Post
    That, and some dang offense. This club has nearly zero speed, very little power. And poor Diaz and Detwiler can't carry the bullpen by themselves.
    The same Detwiler that let's nearly every inherited run to score?
    He is a definite DFA candidate at seasons end. In fact every pitcher in the pen is sans Diaz. They all won't be obviously. And being left handed might save Detwiler. But make no mistake he isn't good. If you're looking at his ERA then dig deeper cause relievers ERA is a useless way to evaluate a pitcher.

Quote Originally Posted by KeefeCato View Post
    The same Detwiler that let's nearly every inherited run to score?
    He is a definite DFA candidate at seasons end. In fact every pitcher in the pen is sans Diaz. They all won't be obviously. And being left handed might save Detwiler. But make no mistake he isn't good. If you're looking at his ERA then dig deeper cause relievers ERA is a useless way to evaluate a pitcher.
    Detwiler has only allowed 2 out 11 to score, he's actually stepped in and provided a 136 ERA+ in 21 innings

27. Likes:

cumberlandreds (08-18-2022),HokieRed (08-18-2022),Revering4Blue (08-18-2022),Ron Madden (08-17-2022)

Turn Off Ads?