Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shortstops for Days

Shortstops for Days

The Reds have managed to aquire no less than 5 potential major league shortstops, some of them elite talents.

Of course, not all of them will pan out, and some may end up traded. But just for fun, what would you do with them assuming they continue on their current trajectory? Who get's moved to what position? Who at the major league level get's moved to make room?

My (uneducated) picks:

Barrero -->SS
    He seems to be finding himself again in AAA. I think he may be the best defender of the group and the closest to the MLB level. I call him up soon and let him play out the season at SS for the Reds. Farmer to the bench or to 3B or whatever if they trade Drury. The Reds have also played him in CF, does he have a chance to be good there?

De La Cruz --> CF
    He's the fastest of the group, and I think he could be an elite outfielder. His tools scream CF. He may see at least a taste of MLB action by the end of next season, and CF is there for the taking. I think he would be wasted a bit at 3B. Virtually everyone thinks he can stick at SS so a move might not be made, which is more than OK as well.

Marte --> 3B
    This is less controversial. I have read a lot say that he will likely move the 3B or even the OF. He probably has the best bat as well.

McClain -->2B
    He's probably the most likely to get pushed off SS. I think he would be a great 2B. Maybe India moves to his natural 3B for a time. Or maybe he is trade bait in the mold of Trammell/Grey/Downs. I could also see the corner OF. Does he have the arm for RF? or 3B?

Arroyo -->SS
    He also has a case to be the best defender, he's a consensus pick to stick at SS, and he is far enough away that the above doesn't really affect him. Barrero may be out of the picture by the time he is ready.

2. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (08-01-2022),M2 (08-02-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Shortstops for Days

Good post and a good problem to have. Like you said, these things often work themselves out due to performance, injury, trades, etc so I tend to leave these guys at SS for as long as possible until someone takes hold of the position at the big league level. The only move that probably makes sense now is McLain to 2B.

Barrero will likely get the first crack later this season and next. EDLC at SS and McLain at 2B in Louisville next year with Marte the SS at Chattanooga and Arroyo at Dayton.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by CaiGuy View Post
    The Reds have managed to aquire no less than 5 potential major league shortstops, some of them elite talents.

Of course, not all of them will pan out, and some may end up traded. But just for fun, what would you do with them assuming they continue on their current trajectory? Who get's moved to what position? Who at the major league level get's moved to make room?

My (uneducated) picks:

Barrero -->SS
    He seems to be finding himself again in AAA. I think he may be the best defender of the group and the closest to the MLB level. I call him up soon and let him play out the season at SS for the Reds. Farmer to the bench or to 3B or whatever if they trade Drury. The Reds have also played him in CF, does he have a chance to be good there?

De La Cruz --> CF
    He's the fastest of the group, and I think he could be an elite outfielder. His tools scream CF. He may see at least a taste of MLB action by the end of next season, and CF is there for the taking. I think he would be wasted a bit at 3B. Virtually everyone thinks he can stick at SS so a move might not be made, which is more than OK as well.

Marte --> 3B
    This is less controversial. I have read a lot say that he will likely move the 3B or even the OF. He probably has the best bat as well.

McClain -->2B
    He's probably the most likely to get pushed off SS. I think he would be a great 2B. Maybe India moves to his natural 3B for a time. Or maybe he is trade bait in the mold of Trammell/Grey/Downs. I could also see the corner OF. Does he have the arm for RF? or 3B?

Arroyo -->SS
    He also has a case to be the best defender, he's a consensus pick to stick at SS, and he is far enough away that the above doesn't really affect him. Barrero may be out of the picture by the time he is ready.
    I see a lot of discussion about moving L.E.D. (Elly D) to CF. My only concern is that young fast aggressive CF seem to get themselves injured and broken down a lot faster than infielders. This guy could be a generational talent.

and Balcazar in the ACL and Cabrera in the DSL. The list goes on. SS's that can hit, can play anywhere. Many major league players were SS in little league before their profile took them off the position.

7. Likes:

Old school 1983 (08-01-2022)

Collecting SS is an excellent approach. Most can play every position on the field. As the bats develop, find places for them. If one is better suited defensively for SS, let him supplant the incumbent and move the incumbent to another spot.

9. Likes:

Revering4Blue (08-02-2022)

And there might be a pretty decent trade trade piece in that list somewhere. If the Reds find themselves looking for pitching help in a couple years, they have a lot of stock-piled talent, and more to come.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    And there might be a pretty decent trade trade piece in that list somewhere. If the Reds find themselves looking for pitching help in a couple years, they have a lot of stock-piled talent, and more to come.
    The world needs Stillwell's too.

12. Likes:

Benihana (08-02-2022),Revering4Blue (08-02-2022),RiverRat13 (08-02-2022),sdwagers (08-01-2022)

of the bunch I think Edwin Arroyo sticks at SS and Marte at 3B. thanks to Castillo for a future left side infield.
    Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    sdwagers for Reds GM!

Quote Originally Posted by sdwagers View Post
    of the bunch I think Edwin Arroyo sticks at SS and Marte at 3B. thanks to Castillo for a future left side infield.
    I think Collier is the 3B in 3 years. I agree about Arroyo at SS. The other three become the team's missing OF. I'd start the McLain conversion immediately. He's not going to be the SS ahead of those other guys (or even ahead of Farmer), he's closest to the big leagues and the OF is where the team has its biggest need.

McLain - LF
    De La Cruz - CF
    Marte - RF
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

15. Likes:

Revering4Blue (08-02-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I think Collier is the 3B in 3 years. I agree about Arroyo at SS. The other three become the team's missing OF. I'd start the McLain conversion immediately. He's not going to be the SS ahead of those other guys (or even ahead of Farmer), he's closest to the big leagues and the OF is where the team has its biggest need.

McLain - LF
    De La Cruz - CF
    Marte - RF
    Part of me sees McLain at 2b with India moving to 3b or 1b.

17. Likes:

M2 (08-02-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    Part of me sees McLain at 2b with India moving to 3b or 1b.
    I was going to start a thread on the main board about how long India sticks at 2B. Doesn't seem like he's going to stick there.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

19. Likes:

Old school 1983 (08-02-2022),RiverRat13 (08-02-2022)

I'd rank likelihood of sticking at SS like this:

1. Barrero - virtual lock to stick. Question is if he can hit enough for an everyday starter in the big leagues. I still believe he can.
    2. Arroyo - virtual lock to stick. If Elly (or Barrero) sticks at SS in the big leagues, Arroyo could be the next Kurt Stillwell and get traded
    3. de la Cruz - 3B or CF likely moves if SS doesn't work. In CF he is the next Eric Davis, at 3B he could be the next Yankee version of A-Rod (without the juice)
    4. McLain - question is would he be a better option at 2B than India? Or if not, does he have enough speed for CF or enough bat for a corner OF spot if everyone works out? Or is he the likeliest trade bait?
    5. Marte - should move to 3B if Elly sticks at SS; could also see him in CF if Elly goes to 3B and one of Barrero/Arroyo emerges at SS.
    Go BLUE!!!

21. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (08-02-2022),M2 (08-02-2022),RedTeamGo! (08-02-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I'd rank likelihood of sticking at SS like this:

1. Barrero - virtual lock to stick. Question is if he can hit enough for an everyday starter in the big leagues. I still believe he can.
    2. Arroyo - virtual lock to stick. If Elly (or Barrero) sticks at SS in the big leagues, Arroyo could be the next Kurt Stillwell and get traded
    3. de la Cruz - 3B or CF likely moves if SS doesn't work. In CF he is the next Eric Davis, at 3B he could be the next Yankee version of A-Rod (without the juice)
    4. McLain - question is would he be a better option at 2B than India? Or if not, does he have enough speed for CF or enough bat for a corner OF spot if everyone works out? Or is he the likeliest trade bait?
    5. Marte - should move to 3B if Elly sticks at SS; could also see him in CF if Elly goes to 3B and one of Barrero/Arroyo emerges at SS.
    That's pretty much how I have it. Hopefully Barrero's hand is nearing full recovery and he can get a run in September. He really should have all of 2023 to sink or swim.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I was going to start a thread on the main board about how long India sticks at 2B. Doesn't seem like he's going to stick there.
    Agreed. He may be the Votto replacement instead of Stephenson. Better question. Do you roll the dice on all the young middle IF in the system and include India in a trade at some point in the next year?

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    Agreed. He may be the Votto replacement instead of Stephenson. Better question. Do you roll the dice on all the young middle IF in the system and include India in a trade at some point in the next year?
    No. India, Stephenson and Hunter Greene need to be the faces of the organization for the next five years at least.
    Go BLUE!!!

25. Likes:

herbdizzle (08-02-2022)

Turn Off Ads?