Turn Off Ads?
Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Mahle traded to the Twins

Re: Mahle traded to the Twins

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Not disagreeing, like I said, he is a solid MOR/BOR starter. I think Reds fans are acting like he is a TOR starter, and he isn't.
    A 118 ERA+ is a #2 starter. In an off year or on a top tier staff, then he'd be more of #3. I'm not really sure what you're after here. The guy's a pretty damn good pitcher. Would have been nice if this was the alternate universe where the Reds kept him as part of a consistently contending team.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Likes:

marcshoe (08-13-2022),Mitri (08-08-2022),NC Reds (08-14-2022),REDREAD (08-08-2022),RiverRat13 (08-13-2022),wlf WV (08-13-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    A 118 ERA+ is a #2 starter. In an off year or on a top tier staff, then he'd be more of #3. I'm not really sure what you're after here. The guy's a pretty damn good pitcher. Would have been nice if this was the alternate universe where the Reds kept him as part of a consistently contending team.
    I am not really after anything here. I am just disagreeing with the premise the Reds did not get a fair return for him.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Mahle is probably the Twins #2 or #3 guy right now.

The Dodgers, Mets, Yankees.. that argument does not hold water. By that logic, they didn't think Castillo was a big name pitcher either. And they didn't think Verlander was a big game pitcher either, because they let the Astros get him a few years ago.

I can buy your argument that the Reds potentially got 2 solid starting players out of it, so the deal was fair. That's reasonable. There's no need to tear down Mahle to make your argument. He was a very good pitcher, not a #4/5 guy on a good team. Honestly, I hope I look like an idiot in 3 years for saying the return was too light.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Mahle is probably the Twins #2 or #3 guy right now.

The Dodgers, Mets, Yankees.. that argument does not hold water. By that logic, they didn't think Castillo was a big name pitcher either. And they didn't think Verlander was a big game pitcher either, because they let the Astros get him a few years ago.

I can buy your argument that the Reds potentially got 2 solid starting players out of it, so the deal was fair. That's reasonable. There's no need to tear down Mahle to make your argument. He was a very good pitcher, not a #4/5 guy on a good team. Honestly, I hope I look like an idiot in 3 years for saying the return was too light.
    Except we know the Yankees, and 14 other teams made offers to the Reds for Castillo.

Except we know the Yankees, and 14 other teams made offers to the Reds for Castillo.
    How do you know they didn't make offers for Mahle?

According to this, the Mets were interested.

The Phillies, Twins, and Mets are among the clubs linked to Mahle since the start of the season, while the Rangers also reportedly had interest during the offseason.
    https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/players/tyler-mahle

I'm not sure why you also need LA and NYY to also validate that a pitcher is good.
    By that definition, there's only about 15 good starting pitchers in baseball. (The staff of the Mets, Dodgers, and Yankees)
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    How do you know they didn't make offers for Mahle?

According to this, the Mets were interested.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/players/tyler-mahle

I'm not sure why you also need LA and NYY to also validate that a pitcher is good.
    By that definition, there's only about 15 good starting pitchers in baseball. (The staff of the Mets, Dodgers, and Yankees)
    That is a misreading of my original point, and not really what I was saying. I will just leave it at that.

I’ve come around to liking the Mahle return. I think all 3 players will prove useful, and they’re close to helping the Reds soon.

I just hope the Reds can identify a solid SP in free agency to help solidify the young staff. Mahle would have been great, but they chose another direction.

10. Likes:

marcshoe (08-13-2022),Ron Madden (08-08-2022)

6 IP 0 R tonight

Well done sir.

12. Likes:

goreds2 (08-16-2022),HammerTime (08-14-2022),marcshoe (08-13-2022),NC Reds (08-14-2022),RiverRat13 (08-13-2022),wlf WV (08-13-2022)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    I’ve come around to liking the Mahle return. I think all 3 players will prove useful, and they’re close to helping the Reds soon.

I just hope the Reds can identify a solid SP in free agency to help solidify the young staff. Mahle would have been great, but they chose another direction.
    Corey Kluber would be a nice veteran presence. He’s not making a whole ton these days.

14. Likes:

Old school 1983 (08-13-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    6 IP 0 R tonight

Well done sir.
    They only let him throw 86 pitches. Poor pitchers can’t even throw 90 now.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    They only let him throw 86 pitches. Poor pitchers can’t even throw 90 now.
    He got tired running out every inning. Only had to do it 3 times for 86 pitches in Cincy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

17. Likes:

Assembly Hall (08-14-2022)

In depth piece on how the trade came together. ( I think as I lack the subscription to read it)
    https://theathletic.com/3503469/2022...de-reds-twins/

Tweets
    Conversation
    C. Trent Rosecrans Retweeted
    DanHayesMLB
    @DanHayesMLB
    Ultimately, #Reds GM Nick Krall & Derek Falvey finalized a 4-player trade that sent Tyler Mahle to #MNTwins. But it was the constant brainstorming of former roommates (asst GMs) Jeremy Zoll and Jeff Graupe that kept the conversation alive. W/
    @ctrent theathletic.com
    How two former roommates worked behind the scenes to complete the trade for Tyler Mahle
    Jeremy Zoll once rented an extra room on Jeff Graupe's Cincinnati-area home before the two helped concoct a deal for Tyler Mahle..
    8:32 PM · Aug 13, 2022·Twitter Web App
    “The guys we've had for the most part have been serviceable at this level.”

19. Likes:

Always Red (08-14-2022),WrongVerb (08-14-2022)

Aaron Gleeman
    @AaronGleeman

Tyler Mahle exits with a trainer midway through the third inning after struggling to top 90 mph with many of his fastballs.

And if my aunt had wheels she'd be a wagon.

Half his games were pitched in GABP. You cannot just delete that. Other pitchers have succeeded at GABP. I know people point to this a lot, but this is not a feather in his cap.
    I am not really after anything here. I am just disagreeing with the premise the Reds did not get a fair return for him.
    Well more than one thing can be true.

I agree the Reds got a fair return. In fact, I think the Reds did better than the A's for Montas. If you get to dig on the fact that Mahle played half his games at GABP and wasn't great, then you have to acknowledge that half of Montas' games were away from Oakland, and, he wasn't great.

In fact if you look at the entirety of their careers, Mahle's biggest issue is the HR ball at home. And yeah, it's significant. Almost every other metric they are nearly the same pitcher with Mahle being a hair better at getting a K. They are truly peers as Montas has pitched in a total of 7 more games. Montas cut teeth in the pen his first full year so he has fewer IP. Had you traded them for each other in 2016, I'm guessing you could apply their current numbers to the other guy.

Montas is a #2, pitching like Mike Minor right now. Mahle is a #2 pitching like a #2.

There is a post on here somewhere where I say Yankee fans are going to turn on him like they did Sonny Gray.

All that stated, I love the return. I don't care where CES is ranked, so long as he hits everywhere. Strand too. What the Reds FO did over the course of a week was basically make the Reds farm system the best in baseball and the best it has been in decades. Hopefully health and development lead to better days at the MLB level.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Now that Mahle is hurt the return we got feels really good.

23. Likes:

JFLegal (08-17-2022),Sea Ray (08-17-2022)

Turn Off Ads?