Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Drury traded to Padres

Re: Drury traded to Padres

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFanInMS View Post
    Let's pump the brakes a little. I thought the Castillo deal was good. Mahle deal was meh. Anything for Drury is a plus. Until any of these guys produce at the ML level, or bring something back in return the jury is still out.
    the mahle deal is waaaaay better than some are giving it credit for. too many people looking at preseason prospect rankings and not analyzing how all 3 of the guys the reds got for mahle are having excellent minor league seasons.

2. Likes:

corkedbat (08-03-2022),podgejeff_ (08-02-2022),Redeyecat (08-02-2022),Revering4Blue (08-02-2022),thatcoolguy_22 (08-02-2022),TRF (08-02-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

If Acosta is it, I don't like this deal. Reds had plenty of time to evaluate Drury, and make an offer which I think he would have accepted.

The other thing is that once you've acquired a guy, how you acquired him should not factor into how you view him going forward.

That isn't to suggest that previous performance shouldn't remain a factor. But just because they got Drury on a minor-league deal doesn't mean he can't continue his current valuable level of production.
    Last edited by malcontent; 08-02-2022 at 07:01 PM.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

5. Likes:

REDREAD (08-02-2022)

Acosta is a nice return for Drury. Seems like a similar profile to Ricardo Cabrera, except Acosta can switch hit, whereas Cabrera may be a better bet to stick at SS. Combine them both and you get Edwin Arroyo.

As I said earlier today when I theorized the Pads would want Drury until Tatis gets back, I would've preferred Joshua Mears as a return mainly because he's an OF power bat. That said, Acosta is a decent get for two months of Drury. I like this value better than the Mahle trade.
    Go BLUE!!!

Here is a way of looking at this. Reds just added 10 additional high upside players to the system less than 2 weeks after the draft.

I'm sad to see Mahle and Castillo go. I really like Drury and proposed extending him.

But it is good that the Reds had a plan here. They had a plan and executed it well.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

8. Likes:

Mitri (08-02-2022),RedsfaninMT (08-02-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Here is a way of looking at this. Reds just added 10 additional high upside players to the system less than 2 weeks after the draft.

I'm sad to see Mahle and Castillo go. I really like Drury and proposed extending him.

But it is good that the Reds had a plan here. They had a plan and executed it well.
    Sadly we won't see any winning baseball next year or 2024. More sucking and another excuse for Bob to do nothing with empty seats next 2 years

10. Likes:

REDREAD (08-02-2022)

I'm curious to see a ranking of the Reds top prospects after all these trades. Doug doesn't have any mention of today's trades yet, but he usually is reliable for that sort of thing.

12. Likes:

wolfboy (08-02-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    If Acosta is it, I don't like this deal. Reds had plenty of time to evaluate Drury, and make an offer which I think he would have accepted.

The other thing is that once you've acquired a guy, how you acquired him should not factor into how you're going to view him going forward.

That isn't to suggest that previous performance shouldn't remain a factor. But just because they got Drury on a minor-league deal doesn't mean he can't continue his current level of production.
    Reds didn't want to make an offer.

They dated him, liked his smile and laugh, but couldn't see spending summer with him again.

It was just a fling, but they will remember him

14. Likes:

Coopdaddy67 (08-03-2022),HammerTime (08-02-2022),MoneyInTheBank (08-02-2022),Ron Madden (08-02-2022),TRF (08-02-2022)

The other thing is that once you've acquired a guy, how you acquired him should not factor into how you're going to view him going forward.

That isn't to suggest that previous performance shouldn't remain a factor. But just because they got Drury on a minor-league deal doesn't mean he can't continue his current level of production.
    I'm not sure I understand. They did evaluate him and either decided this was the best path forward or Drury was not interested in an extension.

16. Likes:

Coopdaddy67 (08-03-2022),Ron Madden (08-02-2022)

Regardless of my overall feelings about how the Reds have handled things this year in regards to giving up before the season began, I like seeing them trade everyone.

Check that I thought keeping Castillo would have been wise but if you are going to tear it down, fricking do it and they are doing just that.
    Completely erase the board. The only two pieces left to remove are Votto and Moose, which understandably won't happen due to contracts.
    But they can use the new year to find their core with all these prospects and when the time is right, Beef up.the rest of the team.
    There are no hunting accidents...It's called kharma.

nm
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

Yes. 10 new prospects, half of which look very likely to become big leaguers in some capacity. Solid draft too. And they'll pick very high in next year's draft.

That said, I really hope the tanking ends now.

20. Likes:

757690 (08-02-2022),REDREAD (08-02-2022),TRF (08-02-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Reds didn't want to make an offer.

They dated him, liked his smile and laugh, but couldn't see spending summer with him again.

It was just a fling, but they will remember him
    But what if down the road they don't just find themselves reminiscing, but regretting they thought it just a fling?

But what if down the road they don't just find themselves reminiscing, but regretting they just took it as a fling?
    That's life. You live with it.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    I'm not sure I understand. They did evaluate him and either decided this was the best path forward or Drury was not interested in an extension.
    Well, we don't know if they even suggested an extension. I'd like to know, which would affect my opinion.

Their plan appears to be not to spend any money.

25. Likes:

malcontent (08-02-2022),REDREAD (08-02-2022),Redsfan6272 (08-02-2022)

Turn Off Ads?