Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: Reds Top Prospects - August 2022 Edition

Re: Reds Top Prospects - August 2022 Edition

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    The better approach might be to dump a few guys who don’t figure. Then bring up 4-5 kids from AAA, give them a taste. They could cut any number of relievers, maybe Aquino, if they want to make room.

Bring up Friedl, Steer, a couple of pitchers, maybe Williamson if he’d benefit.

Not a huge number in light of current rules, but as a rebuilding team it’s an opportunity.
    There’s absolutely no reason for Aquino to be on this roster. Nor Almora.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

2. Turn Off Ads?

The better approach might be to dump a few guys who don’t figure. Then bring up 4-5 kids from AAA, give them a taste. They could cut any number of relievers, maybe Aquino, if they want to make room.

Bring up Friedl, Steer, a couple of pitchers, maybe Williamson if he’d benefit.

Not a huge number in light of current rules, but as a rebuilding team it’s an opportunity.
    This is the approach I'm hoping for. They don't really need to wait until September to do that though. Plenty of guys who need to be dumped today.

I'm guessing Connor Overton and Tyler Stephenson return in September. As well as possibly Greene, Warren, Hoffman. No idea if they'll bring Moose back again. I think they'll use up the extra roster spots with those guys. Even then, they will still need a few cuts without even getting to Steer or Friedl. They'll probably cut a catcher when Stephenson returns, but that just makes room for Hoffman or Greene or Warren (I'd just release Warren). They probably release Zuech and Duggar when Overton and maybe Greene return.

A guy like Alejo Lopez could go today to make room for Steer. Friedl could replace Albert Almora. Why keep lame ducks around?
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    There’s absolutely no reason for Aquino to be on this roster. Nor Almora.
    Agree, but I could say the same for Senzel, Lopez, Fraley, they all kind of suck. Actually, Aquino is probably the best all-around OF they have at this point. Isn't that sad.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Agree, but I could say the same for Senzel, Lopez, Fraley, they all kind of suck. Actually, Aquino is probably the best all-around OF they have at this point. Isn't that sad.
    I agree with all of those names except Fraley. He had an injury earlier in season, I would like to see what he has rest of the season.

Aquino? He’ll be 29 early next season, has a 43% K rate and a 4% walk rate, a .517 OPS, has no minor league options remaining and is arbitration eligible. He is a good RFer defensively.

I suspect that the Reds are making 40 man roster decisions even as we speak. Players without remaining options are the most likely to go unless they have established strong ML credentials. The Dugger, Dunn, Zeuch starts were part of the process of seeing what they have before making a final decision.

IMO, they will likely offer Reynolds a ML contract.

Can Steer play outfield? A LF'er who hits for power is a need. He has played a lot of 3B. I assume he has the arm for RF. BA describes his arm as strong and accurate.

One last question. Is it unethical to activate a player from the 60 IL, then DFA him even if he is not ready to begin rehab?

Aquino? He’ll be 29 early next season, has a 43% K rate and a 4% walk rate, a .517 OPS, has no minor league options remaining and is arbitration eligible. He is a good RFer defensively.
    All true. I still can't name a better OF on the roster at the moment.

All true. I still can't name a better OF on the roster at the moment.
    I think Aquino is the worst OF among a horrible roster of poor OF.

It's not close, IMO.

He's a walking K whose only good attributes depend entirely on other people hitting the ball at him.

Which rarely happens.

10. Likes:

Mitri (08-13-2022),RiverRat13 (08-13-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    I think Aquino is the worst OF among a horrible roster of poor OF.

It's not close, IMO.

He's a walking K whose only good attributes depend entirely on other people hitting the ball at him.

Which rarely happens.
    Agreed on Aquino's faults. He's still a better defender than all but Almora, he has the best arm and the most athleticism. He has the most power. Making contact is what he's terrible at, but the other guys ain't exactly Tony Gwynn.

The Reds need 5 new outfielders. If they only get 4, I suppose who you keep comes down to what those 4 may be lacking. I hope they get 5.
    Last edited by mth123; 08-13-2022 at 06:06 PM.

Agreed on Aquino's faults. He's still a better defender than all but Almora, he has the best arm and the most athleticism. He has the most power. Making contact is what he's terrible at, but the other guys ain't exactly Tony Gwynn.

The Reds need 5 new outfielders. If they only get 4, I suppose who you keep comes down to what those 4 may be lacking. I hope they get 5.
    We disagree on your scouting report vis a vis the Red OF.

We agree on the Reds needing a new approach to acquiring OF. Though I'm fine with two of the guys (Fraley and Senzel or Friedl or Fairchild or maybe Almora) as strictly backups next season. (That said, I'm guessing Senzel remains the CF starter due to upside, cost, and dearth of other options.)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    We disagree on your scouting report vis a vis the Red OF.

We agree on the Reds needing a new approach to acquiring OF. Though I'm fine with two of the guys (Fraley and Senzel or Friedl or Fairchild or maybe Almora) as strictly backups next season. (That said, I'm guessing Senzel remains the CF starter due to upside, cost, and dearth of other options.)
    I just don't see it with Fraley. He's my pick for worst of the bunch. Terrible defender, just enough speed to try it too much and get thrown out and his bat doesn't justify the rest. At best he's a platoon DH who should leave his glove at home.

14. Likes:

Benihana (08-14-2022)

I just don't see it with Fraley. He's my pick for worst of the bunch. Terrible defender, just enough speed to try it too much and get thrown out and his bat doesn't justify the rest. At best he's a platoon DH who should leave his glove at home.
    You’re basing this take on 21 games played in the OF, at least half of which he was playing injured.

I’m assuming you’re not basing it on his time in Seattle last year because he had a positive defensive WAR last year in 4x as many games.
    Last edited by RedTeamGo!; 08-13-2022 at 06:43 PM.

16. Likes:

Old school 1983 (08-14-2022)

Fraley is the only current Reds OF I'd care to see on next year's team. He's been locked in at the plate since coming back up, and should be a decent corner OF platoon guy.

Disagree on Fraley. He's going to hit.

Aristides Aquino is sporting a 510 OPS and a 36 OPS+ currently.

Jake Fraley has a 94 OPS+ for his 728 OPS.

Turn Off Ads?