Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: Reds Top Prospects - August 2022 Edition

Re: Reds Top Prospects - August 2022 Edition

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Let’s get McLain to Louisville already. Seems silly he’s not there.
    I like that they're being conservative with him.

McLain needs to figure out that hit tool. He's selling out for power (which, I suspect, is a Reds' focus), and that's costing him BA. He needs to dial it back a bit to find a happy medium, IMO. I'd love to see him be less Dan Uggla and focus on being a 15 HR per season guy who can also hit .275 and OBP .360+.

2. Likes:

Mitri (08-18-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

How much stock do you guys put in late-season production at higher levels?

Petty's a guy who could get a serious bump from me, for example. He's finding his footing after the aggressive promotion.

Were Jay Allen to hit in Dayton, for example, I'd consider bumping him too, as the FSL is so hard on hitters to be nearly completely useless in analyzing hitter production. (Or lack thereof.)

That said, there's an argument to be made for understanding that everyone's tired and perhaps not as focused as they ought to be.

I'm kinda torn, honestly. What are your opinions here?

I've been high on Petty all along, and when you look at the adjustment he's made in Dayton after four starts that's just more proof of his talent. He got roughed up big time his first start with the Dragons then came back with a 5 inning 3 ER start, and then his last two outings have been a combined 8 2/3 innings with 1 ER. So you like to see him settle down this fast especially at his young age.

They've only let Petty hit 75 pitches once this year so I like the approach and him being able to pitch a whole season. Next year they'll probably let him go further in games so we'll get to see that development. I find it interesting that the SO/9 have jumped from 8.3 to 9.7 as he moved up. I think he's the best pitching prospect we have when you look at his age, the respectable walk rate, the lack of HR etc.

As for Jay Allen I don't think you can make too much from a few week call up at the end of the season for a hitter unless they tear the cover off the ball or get completely dominated and K in half their ab's. I like Allen, but he need to step it with the bat next year.

Quote Originally Posted by JCM11 View Post
    I've been high on Petty all along
    Same here. He has great stuff. As for your point about the best pitching prospect in system: I think the Reds agree with your analysis. They seem to be quietly treating him like he is the next big thing pitching wise in the system. He isn't getting a lot of press right now but I get the feeling scouts love him. Don't be surprised if he is a top 30 or so prospect in baseball this time next year.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    I like that they're being conservative with him.

McLain needs to figure out that hit tool. He's selling out for power (which, I suspect, is a Reds' focus), and that's costing him BA. He needs to dial it back a bit to find a happy medium, IMO. I'd love to see him be less Dan Uggla and focus on being a 15 HR per season guy who can also hit .275 and OBP .360+.
    Um, his numbers this year are EXACTLY 15 HR with a .357 OBP

Not sure how another six weeks in AA is going to get any closer to that goal
    Go BLUE!!!

9. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (08-18-2022)

What I love seeing out of McClain, is it appears he pulled a "Votto" and decided to stop striking out. Only 2 K's against 6 BB's over the last 8 games. That'll do Matt, that'll do!

11. Likes:

ochoa30 (08-20-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Um, his numbers this year are EXACTLY 15 HR with a .357 OBP

Not sure how another six weeks in AA is going to get any closer to that goal
    Were the season to end today, he'd only be deficient in BA.

Alas.

He's selling out for power at the expense of BA. He's also off-setting the lack of BA with extreme patience that may or may not pay off at the major league level. He's turned himself into a three true outcome player.

IMO, he's a much more interesting prospect with two-thirds of the HR pop and 25 more points of BA (and the same OBP).

McLain would do well to overhaul his philosophy and tinker with his swing so that he's not swinging from the heels as much. (Again, IMO.) I'd prefer he do that in a more forgiving environment (and over the next six weeks). That's AA, not AAA.

Turn Off Ads?