Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds Top Prospects - August 2022 Edition

Re: Reds Top Prospects - August 2022 Edition

This is a bit of a sidebar, but it kind of relates to Hendrick: if I ran a big league team, I’d make sure that every player entering my organization had a complete visual exam to make sure the swing and miss in their games wasn’t a result of eyesight problems. It blows my mind that in this day and age you still occasionally read about a hitter saying “Gee, I got contacts and it really helped me”. Of course, this sounds like the very kind of thing Reds ownership wouldn’t be willing to pony up for…
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

2. Likes:

Marty and Joe (08-06-2022),Old school 1983 (08-05-2022),Patrick Bateman (08-05-2022),RedTeamGo! (08-05-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

One consideration that should be recognized was that his entire HS season was wiped out due to the pandemic. Perhaps he will benefit from extra time at the lower levels to catch up on that lost time that might have set him back.

Either that, or maybe that lost season would have revealed issues with his ability to convert his raw talents into live game action, and the Reds (and rest of the league) werent able to scout him sufficiently to move him down the rankings. Its not like he was an overdraft relative to where he was projected to go.

"I'm not mad, I just type aggressively"
    -Rdirtypirates (Sep 6, 2023)

I feel like Levi Stoudt is being slept on here. I think he’s top ten in the system or dang close to it and have him and Williamson as 1A & 1B in the club’s pitching ranks.

6. Likes:

Old school 1983 (08-05-2022)

According to Baseball Reference, Hendrick is 1.3 years younger than the average position players at his A+ level. He turned 21 in June. He missed time in the COVID year. I don’t see the necessity of reaching conclusions about him at this stage. He’s a developing player, it isn’t always a linear process. I’m sure the Reds are working with him on his swing and miss and there’s nothing to be gained by labeling him a bust or whatever.
    Last edited by Kc61; 08-05-2022 at 02:26 PM.

8. Likes:

klw (08-06-2022),membengal (08-06-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    According to Baseball Reference, Hendrick is 1.3 years younger than the average position players at his A+ level. He turned 21 in June. He missed time in the COVID year. I don’t see the necessity of reaching conclusions about him at this stage. He’s a developing player, it isn’t always a linear process. I’m sure the Reds are working with him on his swing and miss and there’s nothing to be gained by labeling him a bust or whatever.
    He'd just be a senior in college next year.

I'd wait until the end of 2023 to make any determinations about him at all. That said, it doesn't look particularly promising so far...

I’m not sure if it was this thread or another thread where I mentioned that the Reds have a horrible developmental system. And I specifically mentioned that they cannot seem to analyze a guy’s swing and help young guys cut down on strike ours. I know … there are a multitude of reasons guys don’t advance. But I can almost guarantee that if Hendrick were in the Cardinals’ system, they would rework his swing/stance/eye glasses and there would be improvement - even if his K% drops to around 30% or just below.

Obviously, not every prospect can be “fixed” but it seems as if the Reds can’t “fix” anyone.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

Ya, of course there is no reason to write him off or anything. There is a spot available for him to develop (he isnt in the way of anyone), has raw talent, and doesn't have an impending contract fork coming up.

But at this point, I think its clear there is a very high bust rate % to be expected, and definitely far behind expectations for the #12 slot.

"I'm not mad, I just type aggressively"
    -Rdirtypirates (Sep 6, 2023)

Sorry but I'm not buying the "Reds have a horrible development system" stuff. In the past two seasons they've had the 2021 rookie of the year, an .800+ OPS catcher, three good looking SP, and a potential closer all come up from the minors. That's not counting Barrero who has a chance to lock down the SS job, McLain who could be a regular in the bigs this time next year, and Santillian and Antone still having potential to be effective RP.

Yeah, really liked Callihan's potential when he entered the system, but injury and production (or lack there of) would have me dropping down the list and out of the Top 25 until he shows more potential. I'd have Jose Torres ahead of Callihan for one. Wouldn't have Nelson Top 25 either. Doesn't mean he has no value, but I just need to see more production. Cerda has power and seems to be able to find 1B, but not sure his hit tool will serve him well as he moves up. Austin Hendrick is another that has Top 25 potential, but has work to do (K's), IMO.

As for those that didn't make the list, but I think deserve real consideration are OF's Ariel Almonte, Malvin Valdez & Yerlin Confidan (I think at least one should be in the T25 consideration on potential alone). Hector Rodriguez may not be T25 yet, but he has the tools (speed, hits, gets on base, position versatility) to soon be worthy.

On the pitching side I like Sam Benschoter (R) & Jayvien Standridge (L) to be under consideration soon.
    Last edited by corkedbat; 08-05-2022 at 08:06 PM.

McLain has a HR so far tonight. In looking at Chattanooga's lineup it's already very, very potent.
    Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 288
Size:  128.3 KB
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    McLain has a HR so far tonight. In looking at Chattanooga's lineup it's already very, very potent.
    Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 288
Size:  128.3 KB
    Six of those guys have a chance to be MLB starters.
    Four have a chance to be first-division starters.
    Three have a chance to be All-Stars.
    All 10 have a real chance to at least get a cup of coffee in the big leagues.

16. Likes:

Old school 1983 (08-05-2022),Revering4Blue (08-06-2022),wolfboy (08-05-2022)

Strand is 2-2 w/2 BB

He’s going to go from nobody knows his name to everyone’s top 100 list real quick.

18. Likes:

JCM11 (08-05-2022),Tom Servo (08-05-2022),wolfboy (08-05-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Krivsky View Post
    Strand is 2-2 w/2 BB

He’s going to go from nobody knows his name to everyone’s top 100 list real quick.
    I still doubt that he gets much respect from rating services but I'm really, really high on this guy. His offensive game is strong. Went opposite field for both of his hits tonight.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Krivsky View Post
    Strand is 2-2 w/2 BB

CES came into tonight's game third in MILB in total bases with 213. From what I've seen Strand is a beast at the plate.
    Last edited by JCM11; 08-05-2022 at 10:30 PM.

21. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (08-05-2022),Old school 1983 (08-05-2022),Tom Servo (08-05-2022),wolfboy (08-05-2022)

I think McLain was playing with a bum wrist in June when his number dipped. He hit an absolute bomb a few days ago and now another HR tonight. Almost an embarrassment of riches for the Reds farm system right now. Imagine adding Marte to that Nooga lineup.

23. Likes:

Jdattilo (08-05-2022),Old school 1983 (08-05-2022)

Turn Off Ads?