Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: This Was a Teardown

Re: This Was a Teardown

Name:  EB0F612E-F4AE-4E7B-8FC0-AEF2EB1A7909.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  105.8 KB

2. Likes:

Falls City Beer (08-02-2022),ochoa30 (08-04-2022),REDREAD (08-02-2022),RiverRat13 (08-02-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    I don't think the next 2-3 seasons need to be miserable, if they don't want them to be. It'll take the young starters continuing to progress, a couple of the MiLB guys to contribute ahead of schedule, and a few smart veteran additions (a la a Scott Rolen type trade).

With expanded playoffs and a relatively weak division, I think this can be a quicker process than some think.
    It certainly can be a quick process. No argument there. The wind is at this team’s back. Deliver or drown.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

5. Likes:

REDREAD (08-02-2022),Revering4Blue (08-02-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Krivsky View Post
    Anyone who says this wasnt a tear down needs their posting abilities taken away. I just don't buy into the narrative that this team cant be competitive for another 3-5 years talk. .
    I 'd like to title this post as "An Ode to the Sundeck"
    Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    sdwagers for Reds GM!

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    I don't think the next 2-3 seasons need to be miserable, if they don't want them to be. It'll take the young starters continuing to progress, a couple of the MiLB guys to contribute ahead of schedule, and a few smart veteran additions (a la a Scott Rolen type trade).

With expanded playoffs and a relatively weak division, I think this can be a quicker process than some think.
    I wouldn’t make it sound so easy. The Reds team right now is in a deep hole. Many of the guys they just drafted or acquired are several years from just being rookies.

The big question is whether the owners will now spend on some good proven players.

8. Likes:

Falls City Beer (08-02-2022),REDREAD (08-02-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan6272 View Post
    Now with all these SS they acquired and drafted.. will they be smart enough to find out which ones to send to the outfield?
    This, and the bigger problem- not knowing which starters to turn into relievers.

10. Likes:

Revering4Blue (08-03-2022),sdwagers (08-02-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Believe me, there will be folks denying that this was a teardown. I assure you. That’s just human nature.
    Yep, or there will be some other excuse.. "But it was not a true teardown, the Reds should have cashed in on Farmer, Ty Steve and India while they were at their peak. What was the point in keeping those guys around on a 95+ loss team? Those guys could have been traded to ensure a better future".. Or.. Prospect X was a no doubt impact player, but it was unforseen that... otherwise the rebuild would have worked.

There will be some rationalization that the teardown in 2026 is going to have a better result than the 2022 teardown...
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

12. Likes:

Falls City Beer (08-02-2022),Powder River (08-03-2022),RedsBaron (08-03-2022),sdwagers (08-02-2022),wlf WV (08-03-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Yep, or there will be some other excuse.. "But it was not a true teardown, the Reds should have cashed in on Farmer, Ty Steve and India while they were at their peak. What was the point in keeping those guys around on a 95+ loss team? Those guys could have been traded to ensure a better future".. Or.. Prospect X was a no doubt impact player, but it was unforseen that... otherwise the rebuild would have worked.

There will be some rationalization that the teardown in 2026 is going to have a better result than the 2022 teardown...
    Absolute fact.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

14. Likes:

REDREAD (08-02-2022),wlf WV (08-03-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I wouldn’t make it sound so easy. The Reds team right now is in a deep hole. Many of the guys they just drafted or acquired are several years from just being rookies.

The big question is whether the owners will now spend on some good proven players.
    Oh, they still have lots of work to do and it'll take some good fortune for sure. But I don't think we're looking at two more 100 loss seasons.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Votto in his last year(s) remind me of 70s guys

Kaline made over 100k and was retiring, Hank Aaron Milwaukee Brewer, Willie McCovey a padre and an Athletic, Dick Allen burns out

They all were paid for the times they weren’t

Nature of MLB for a long time

17. Likes:

membengal (08-02-2022),TRF (08-03-2022)

I understand this team will not be expected to compete for a few years but I don't think things are as bad as we think they will be. Next years projected roster leaves a lot to be desired but also has a lot of bright spots that will be a part of the future core.

C - Stephenson
    1B - Votto
    2B - India
    SS - Farmer
    3B - Moose
    RF - Aquino
    CF - Senzel
    LF - Fraley

SP - Greene
    SP - Lodolo
    SP - Ashcraft
    SP - Overton
    SP - Gutierrez

RP - Antone
    RP - Diaz
    RP - Wilson
    RP - Cessa
    RP - Sanmartin

Who knows what they might find in their annual spring dumpster dive? Last year provided Pham and Drury.

We've also got guys in AAA who could get the call - Barrero, Dunn, Williamson, Friedl, Shrock, Steer etc.

Again, if i'm putting money on it i'd guess this will be a mid 60s - low 70s win team but it's got a lot of talent, it's just got a lot of holes as well.

Honestly this deadline was so wild I forgot we traded Naquin.

20. Likes:

RiverRat13 (08-02-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Votto in his last year(s) remind me of 70s guys

Kaline made over 100k and was retiring, Hank Aaron Milwaukee Brewer, Willie McCovey a padre and an Athletic, Dick Allen burns out

They all were paid for the times they weren’t

Nature of MLB for a long time
    McCovey made his way back to Candlestick for one last hurrah, though.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

22. Likes:

Revering4Blue (08-02-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo Rijo View Post
    I understand this team will not be expected to compete for a few years but I don't think things are as bad as we think they will be. Next years projected roster leaves a lot to be desired but also has a lot of bright spots that will be a part of the future core.

C - Stephenson
    1B - Votto
    2B - India
    SS - Farmer
    3B - Moose
    RF - Aquino
    CF - Senzel
    LF - Fraley

SP - Greene
    SP - Lodolo
    SP - Ashcraft
    SP - Overton
    SP - Gutierrez

RP - Antone
    RP - Diaz
    RP - Wilson
    RP - Cessa
    RP - Sanmartin

Who knows what they might find in their annual spring dumpster dive? Last year provided Pham and Drury.

We've also got guys in AAA who could get the call - Barrero, Dunn, Williamson, Friedl, Shrock, Steer etc.

Again, if i'm putting money on it i'd guess this will be a mid 60s - low 70s win team but it's got a lot of talent, it's just got a lot of holes as well.
    I agree with your premise, but that roster is hideous. They've gotta add a proven MOR veteran, another guy to compete for a 5th spot, a solid backend bullpen guy, and a starting OFer. And all those can't be dumpster dives. Then hope that one or more of Steer, McLain, De La Cruz, or Barrero takes control of a starting spot somewhere next year.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

24. Likes:

Revering4Blue (08-02-2022)

They have to bring in at least one competent veteran SP in the off season, and there's no excuse for that not to happen given how low the 2023 payroll is looking. They also need to bring in an OF bat that's a legit plus bat. Prospect wise Steer and maybe McLain could be ready for a lot of playing time. You have to let Williamson sink or swim at some point.

26. Likes:

REDREAD (08-02-2022),Revering4Blue (08-02-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    McCovey made his way back to Candlestick for one last hurrah, though.
    Yep, look at Joe Morgan’s last few years

These guys are more competitive than all of us.

28. Likes:

Big Klu (08-02-2022),Revering4Blue (08-03-2022)

Turn Off Ads?