Turn Off Ads?
Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: 2023 Reds

Re: 2023 Reds

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Zero View Post
    It’s one reason I’m hoping they target Taillon in the off season. Not the best K guy, but he certainly limits free passes. Hoping the team is willing to shell out $25-$30MM in 2023 payroll to shore up the rotation and BP and fingers crossed that Taillon or someone of his ilk is part of that process.
    I like Taillon as a target if they want to spend on the rotation. Wouldn’t take crazy money. Could probably get him for a couple years and has some upside.

2. Turn Off Ads?

ain't no way taillon would sign with the reds, unless they overpaid him so much that he couldn't turn it down. he came up with the pirates, so he knows a thing or two about bad organizations. he also knows all about GABP.

4. Likes:

Kinsm (09-09-2022)

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    ain't no way taillon would sign with the reds, unless they overpaid him so much that he couldn't turn it down. he came up with the pirates, so he knows a thing or two about bad organizations. he also knows all about GABP.
    I think it is moot with Taillon, I expect the Yanks want to keep him?

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    Ya know what, the Reds might have to overspend for quality FA to add to the up and coming prospects until there’s some sustained winning.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by herbdizzle View Post
    I think Cessa is making a good case for being a leading contender for the #5 SP rotation spot beginning next year. He keeps getting better as he slowly stretches out. He threw about 75 pitches today.
    Cessa (and hopefully Dunn) should be a guy who piggy-backs the youngsters so they can last the full season next year.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Fun fact: you can make a full 26-man roster of players (plus some) who have contributed negative bWAR to the Reds this year. And that doesn't even include 10 game loser Mike Minor (who has 0.0 bWAR) and .196 hitter Aristides Aquino (who miraculously has a 1.4 bWAR).

9. Likes:

Old school 1983 (09-10-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    Fun fact: you can make a full 26-man roster of players (plus some) who have contributed negative bWAR to the Reds this year. And that doesn't even include 10 game loser Mike Minor (who has 0.0 bWAR) and .196 hitter Aristides Aquino (who miraculously has a 1.4 bWAR).
    What's really crazy is if they have a decent last 3 weeks there could very well be 7 teams in mlb with worse records in 2022.

Fraley and Friedl look to be 2 outfield candidates that are post 850-ish OPS and filling huge holes late in 2022 that we looked like a mess giong into 2023. LF and CF at least has solid players for those spots (or at least platoon guys from left side). Also, India coming to life after injury struggles early helps me ease he wasn't a flash in pan last year.

Very good
    C - Stephenson
    SP1 - Lodolo
    Closer - Diaz

Solid
    2B - India
    LF - Fraley
    SP2 - Ashcraft

Iffy but possible
    CF - Friedl
    1B - Votto
    SP3 - Greene
    3B - Steer

Bad
    SS - Barrero
    RF - Aquino
    SP 4 - ????
    SP 5 - ????
    Rest of bullpen

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Cessa (and hopefully Dunn) should be a guy who piggy-backs the youngsters so they can last the full season next year.
    Need another good veteran starter. That won’t work, too thin.

Excluding guys who made 1 start only - Reds had 12 pitchers start games this season. Reds had eight pitchers start five or more games this season. Add in another good vet, add in Overton, maybe you have a starting staff with Dunn, Cessa, and young guys.
    Last edited by Kc61; 09-10-2022 at 12:34 PM.

13. Likes:

Revering4Blue (09-10-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by UK Reds Fan View Post
    Fraley and Friedl look to be 2 outfield candidates that are post 850-ish OPS and filling huge holes late in 2022 that we looked like a mess giong into 2023. LF and CF at least has solid players for those spots (or at least platoon guys from left side). Also, India coming to life after injury struggles early helps me ease he wasn't a flash in pan last year.

Very good
    C - Stephenson
    SP1 - Lodolo
    Closer - Diaz

Solid
    2B - India
    LF - Fraley
    SP2 - Ashcraft

Iffy but possible
    CF - Friedl
    1B - Votto
    SP3 - Greene
    3B - Steer

Bad
    SS - Barrero
    RF - Aquino
    SP 4 - ????
    SP 5 - ????
    Rest of bullpen
    Interesting list.

I think it might be more effective if you compared Reds to others in MLB.

When viewed in that way, I like Stephenson, India, Steer (as a utility guy), Fraley, Friedl/ Fairchild in CF, and Antone and Diaz. I can live with Santillan, Votto, Ashcraft, and Greene as they learn on the job or end their careers. The entirety of the bullpen beyond the top three are fungible-- keep them if they're cheap. Farmer, IMO, is being miscast as a regular and needs to be a short-side platoon bat and backup catcher. (It is only in that role would I consider him interesting enough to keep.)

Everyone else-- Barrero, Aquino, Senzel, Moustakas, Reynolds, Minor (of course)-- should be sent packing at the end of the season.

Not only does Reds pitching staff have a high walk rate, but the pitchers have the lowest GB rate in the NL and second lowest in MLB.

Reds staff GB rate is 40.1%, only Seattle is lower in MLB. For a GABP team, would seem sub-optimal. Something to improve in 2023.

16. Likes:

elrojo (09-10-2022),UK Reds Fan (09-10-2022)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

This is how I see it for next year:

Core players:
    India
    Stephenson
    Lodolo
    Diaz
    Greene
    Ashcraft

Potential to move into the core:
    Barrero
    Steer
    Dunn

Aged out but still might be productive:
    Friedl
    Fraley
    Senzel
    Votto
    Farmer
    Overton
    Aquino

Young players who will be inconsistent, but still might flash major league ability:
    EDLC
    CES
    Williamson
    Hopkins
    McLain
    Roa
    Phillips

Long shots:
    Cedrola
    Cerda
    McGarry
    Boyle
    Quintana
    Last edited by WrongVerb; 09-13-2022 at 09:31 AM.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Dunn and his 8.31 FIP have no potential to be a part of the team core. Having 3 good young SP and a legit back end bullpen arm is a good start, but the Reds need to add some solid veterans to the rotation and pen. I think stop gaps are the way to go on offense while we evaluate which prospects are going to step up in 2023.

Quote Originally Posted by JCM11 View Post
    Dunn and his 8.31 FIP have no potential to be a part of the team core. Having 3 good young SP and a legit back end bullpen arm is a good start, but the Reds need to add some solid veterans to the rotation and pen. I think stop gaps are the way to go on offense while we evaluate which prospects are going to step up in 2023.
    Dunn’s coming off a pretty major chunk of time off with injury. He’s not a world beater by any stretch, but I’d give him a fresh start and more rope next year.

- - - Updated - - -

Another guy I see left out of everyone’s plans is Fairchild. Small sample and all but he has over a 900 OPS right now and can play a legit CF. He had over a 900 ops in AAA too. I think he needs to see more time.

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    This is how I see it for next year:

Core players:
    India
    Stephenson
    Lodolo
    Diaz
    Greene
    Ashcraft

Potential to move into the core:
    Barrero
    Steer
    Dunn

Aged out but still might be productive:
    Friedl
    Fraley
    Senzel
    Votto
    Farmer
    Overton
    Aquino

a
    1. In what world has Barrero shown to be potential to move to core? He's like sub 500 OPS and he was pretty much a grease fire in AAA.
    2. Dunn is potential core as well? He gets lit up like a candle..>ERA over 6?

I get prospect status...but these guys are just as much questions as Friedl, Fraley, etc... I hate the thought to give them jobs on 2023 roster.

Turn Off Ads?