Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: 2023 Reds

Re: 2023 Reds

Quote Originally Posted by CaiGuy View Post
    This is what I foresee as well, though I think Hoffman will be in there (he is a low-end but MLB-quality reliever, so I don't see any reason to write him off) and maybe one less bench spot in favor of a pitcher.

I would really like to see two free agent starters to help protect the younger arms, but we shall see.
    Totally agree on Hoffman. He's cheap, effective, and cheap. (Did I mention cheap?) There's no way they could sign a guy for cheaper to do the same job.

Unless they plan to turn to young arms completely (and hey, that's possible... sadly), he's a sure thing.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Name:  Screenshot_20220819-073438_Twitter.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  51.0 KB

You just know the Reds are gonna try to get Edwin to go along with Alexis.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

4. Likes:

Old school 1983 (08-19-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post

That would be my plan. Do that. Try to trade Farmer, Senzel and maybe a lesser prospect for 2 for a few more relievers. Sign a guy with a bat and or some leadership skills. Contreas comes to mind. Bell could be nice. So could Nimmo.

I like Hoffman as a reliever who can start in a pinch. Hated him as a SP. But he’s sort of a no-brainer for the 23 Reds considering the dearth of relief talent they have.

Right now it’s Diaz, Hoffman, maybe Antone, possibly Santillan and Sims, probably Sanmartin. It’s a group that could use a lot of help, but at least one meaningful upgrade would do wonders.

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post

They can try, but it would probably be wasted breath. The closer on a World Series contender which just happens to not mind spending money in the biggest market in baseball? The Mets could just sit back and say "find your biggest offer and we'll exceed it and call it a day."
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

8. Likes:

REDREAD (08-19-2022),Sea Ray (08-19-2022)

I am starting to get the feeling that the Reds aren't going able to resist starting the season without EDLC, Steer, and maybe even McLain. They might be really aggressive with those guys, like they were with India and Stephenson last year. In any case, right or wrong, rushing young players is a by-product of neglecting the MLB roster.

The defensive alignment is pretty fluid, but there are ways to get those guys into the lineup if they want.

1B - Votto
    2B - McLain
    SS - De La Cruz
    3B - India
    LF - FA signing (Benintendi?)
    CF - Barrero
    RF - Fraley
    C - Stephenson
    DH - Steer

IF - Moustakas
    IF - Farmer
    OF - Senzel
    C - FA signing (Casali? Another Garcia type?)

That is a pretty good defensive team. There would be a whole lot of swing-and-miss there, though. But I can see them going this route.

That is a pretty good defensive team. There would be a whole lot of swing-and-miss there, though. But I can see them going this route.
    Lots of upside with that roster too.

Even if they cheap out (again), the Reds will need at least one OF, a back-up catcher (unless Farmer...?), and a couple of relief arms.

Love to add quality, proven (and young-ish) talent. Would settle for above average hitters. (Plural.)

I'm down for a Votto, McLain, Elly, India, Steer IF. I think Steer could play some 1B and all the other guys can play 2B and 3B with Elly and McLain being able to handle SS(Steer has also played some SS for the Bats). I think the Reds need to be careful with starting the clock on too many top prospects at once, but this would be an exciting team to watch. Go and get a masher like Haniger for RF and add a solid mid rotation SP with some BP help and see what happens.

Buck Farmer's FIP now at 3.12. K rate over 11. Looking increasingly like a part of the pen for 2023.

13. Likes:

Old school 1983 (08-22-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Buck Farmer's FIP now at 3.12. K rate over 11. Looking increasingly like a part of the pen for 2023.
    Buck will be 32 next season. He had one other year where he was decent and followed it with a couple of stinky seasons. Since the reds will just use the scrap heap anyhow and they certainly don't have anywhere near enough worthy players to fill a 40 man roster, I'd be OK keeping him as opposed to the next retread, but beware a lifelong batting tee who puts up 30 innings or so of respectability at that age. My guess is he'll get DFA around June of next year.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

15. Likes:

REDREAD (08-24-2022)

I am starting to get the feeling that the Reds aren't going able to resist starting the season without EDLC, Steer, and maybe even McLain. They might be really aggressive with those guys, like they were with India and Stephenson last year. In any case, right or wrong, rushing young players is a by-product of neglecting the MLB roster.

The defensive alignment is pretty fluid, but there are ways to get those guys into the lineup if they want.

1B - Votto
    2B - McLain
    SS - De La Cruz
    3B - India
    LF - FA signing (Benintendi?)
    CF - Barrero
    RF - Fraley
    C - Stephenson
    DH - Steer

IF - Moustakas
    IF - Farmer
    OF - Senzel
    C - FA signing (Casali? Another Garcia type?)

If Barrero can’t hit enough for SS, he’s not going to be a CF.

He’s either the everyday SS or he’s not a starter in the major leagues. Even Senzel has been better than him so far. I’d continue to let him play until Memorial Day, but if he hasn’t sustained a .700 OPS by then and Elly can stick at SS, that’s all she wrote for Jose, at least as a starter.

The other option with your lineup is to keep India at 2B, put Steer at 3B and McLain in CF. Or do course Elly in CF if he doesn’t stick at SS and/or Barrero figures it out. I hate having Fraley as a starter but I guess there’s no other option for next year at the moment. I’d still try to get Jo Adell in the offseason. Even Trammell or Lewis would be a higher upside option than Fraley IMO.
    Last edited by Benihana; 08-22-2022 at 08:48 AM.
    Go BLUE!!!

17. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (08-22-2022)

My guess is Reds will take it slower than fans want. AAA Louisville will have a number of near ready prospects in 2023. Guys like Barrero and Senzel will be with the Reds, but must produce or be replaced during 2023.

As the season goes along, I think we’ll see a number of new faces join, depending on how they do at AAA.

I do expect Steer and probably Williamson to start next season with the Reds. DeLaCruz, McClain, and others will be at AAA polishing up.
    Last edited by Kc61; 08-22-2022 at 08:53 AM.

19. Likes:

mth123 (08-22-2022),Old school 1983 (08-22-2022),REDREAD (08-24-2022),Revering4Blue (08-22-2022),Sea Ray (08-22-2022)

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    A 9 year veteran with a career ERA north of 5? Seems like a likely candidate.

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    A 9 year veteran with a career ERA north of 5? Seems like a likely candidate.
    I expect Buck Farmer will be a Red if he agrees to a minor league contract and ST invite. Same with some of the others. Hopefully most of their current relievers will be edged out for roster spots by new faces.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    My guess is Reds will take it slower than fans want. AAA Louisville will have a number of near ready prospects in 2023. Guys like Barrero and Senzel will be with the Reds, but must produce or be replaced during 2023.

As the season goes along, I think we’ll see a number of new faces join, depending on how they do at AAA.

I do expect Steer and probably Williamson to start next season with the Reds. DeLaCruz, McClain, and others will be at AAA polishing up.
    I think this sounds about right. They let Solano and Minor walk and replace them with Steer and Williamson. Otherwise it will be the same guys or a new bunch of retreads. Guys like Almora, Aquino and Reynolds will probably all be back or replaced by similar placeholders. Maybe they find a spot for Friedl if they cut Moose loose and hand the DH role to Fraley. Probably a new back-up catcher is added and guys from the IL go to the pen. Farmer may play a 400 PA supersub role in 2023.

I think it will look something like below to start and be way different by the end with 5 to 10 of the kids arriving (Siani, De La Cruz, Encarnacion-Strand, Boyle, Cerda, McGarry, Phillips, Abbott and a bunch of minor league FA's and lesser names stashed at AAA). Overton and Vlad probably are somewhere on the pitching staff.

Fraley DH
    India 2B
    Stephenson C
    Votto 1B
    Steer 3B
    Senzel CF
    Friedl LF
    Almora RF
    Barrero SS

Greene
    Lodolo
    Ashcraft
    Dunn
    Williamson

Diaz
    Antone
    Sims
    SanMartin
    Santillan
    Tom
    DicK
    Harry

Farmer probably in there at lots of different spots hitting around 5th or so, Reynolds, New Catcher (Barnhart??), Aquino. If they keep Moose around, they may finally cut Aquino and Fraley moves to LF and Friedl to the bench.
    Last edited by mth123; 08-22-2022 at 09:20 AM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Turn Off Ads?