Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: So what happens now?

Re: So what happens now?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    I think as Reds fans, we have to hope that most of these prospects obtained, actually convert into major league talent.

That way, the Reds can flip them before they become too expensive, for prospects that we hope can be converted into major league talent.

Because if they can, the Reds will be able to flip those new prospects before they become too expensive, for newer prospects that we hope can be converted into major league talent.

Which will be really nice. Because if enough of those newer prospects pan out, the Reds will be able to flip them before they become too expensive, for even newer prospects that we hope can be converted into major league talent.

And that's an important step here. Because if those even newer prospects can actually blossom into viable major league level talent, the Reds will be able to flip them before they become too expensive, for even newer newer prospects that we hope can be converted into major league talent.

Assuming at least some of the even newer newer prospects develop into major league ready players, this will then provide a huge advantage, because the Reds will be able to flip them before they become too expensive, for even newer newer newer prospects that we hope can be converted into major league talent.
    I get the point you are making and even agree with it somewhat.

However, I think the Reds have extended quite a few of their own players the last 10-15 years. Off the top of my head:

Votto
    Phillips
    Bruce
    Bailey
    Mesoraco
    Suarez
    Barnhart

I am sure there are some I am forgetting. The A's wouldn't have extended any of those guys. Including Votto.

I think the Reds are changing a bit right now and I know this last deadline and offseason are fresh in everyone's mind, but I think they will extend a couple of guys over the next few years. There were reports they engaged with Castillo on extension talks and he wasn't interested. Certainly cannot blame him for that. The Reds are bad right now and he and his agent probably want to test free agency in 2023. Reports they spoke with Drury as well. If I had to guess the following players will be offered extensions, some will say no, some might say yes:

India
    Stephenson
    Greene

With all that said, quite frankly, teams shouldn't just be offering extensions to everyone on their roster that is competent, especially pitchers.
    Last edited by RedTeamGo!; 08-05-2022 at 01:27 PM.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

2. Likes:

Assembly Hall (08-05-2022),Kingspoint (08-05-2022),Old school 1983 (08-05-2022),Revering4Blue (08-05-2022),UKFlounder (08-05-2022),Wonderful Monds (08-05-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by LeatherPants View Post
    Yet when you were directly asked if you thought the Reds would actually do it, you said yes. So it seems like it’s both.
    You’re smarter than this. Unless you’re truly a 6th grader, and if that’s the case my apologies for picking on a child, you know that context and the totality of the conversation provide more meaning than selective quotes. I could pull up the thread where the idea started too, but that won’t matter to you either. It’s obviously my take on the path I think the Reds should go down, and not what I think they will actually do.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan9988 View Post
    Maybe there are two different conversations going on here…

I’ll engage you on signing Judge because I genuinely think it’s a bad idea. I also understand that it’s moot anyway because it’s never, ever, ever (ever) going to happen. If Rob Manfred freezes spending for all 29 other clubs - leaving the Reds as the only suitor - Judge will spend 2023 managing a Foot Locker. I get the frustration of the other posters, because you are kind of forcing us to have a conversation about the best feed to give our stable of unicorns.

It’s financially irresponsible for a club in our income bracket to give hundreds of millions of dollars to post-prime veteran FAs. And even if it wasn’t financially irresponsible, our cheapo ownership group wouldn’t do it.
    I think it would be best for the Reds to chase unicorns or find guys with one type of potential unicorn skill and a solid overall game. You miss zero of the chances you don’t take.

Judge is the elite of the the elite. But a guy like Nimmo has elite OBP ability and would likely be in the Reds payroll range. Edwin Diaz is an elite closer and the Reds have a potential in with his brother. Joey Gallo will likely be stupid cheap this off-season. His power is elite. Aim for those guys. Or guys with very well rounded games. If the bat fails, the D and base running will still add value.

Lance McAlister's take on what should happen now
    Next step for Reds: Locking up the core pieces
    So, what's next for the Reds?

On one hand, there's reason for fans to be cautiously optimistic, if not full blown excited about the haul of talent harvested by Nick Krall.

On the other hand, the default position for many fans when reacting to news of new prospects has become, "when's he going to be traded?"

That makes it tough for fans to fully commit and invest emotionally and financially in the Reds.

The Reds task is building the foundation for sustainable success. A big part of that is identifying core players.

That begins with former 1st round picks Jonathan India and Tyler Stephenson.

Both players are under team control for four more seasons, meaning they would reach free agency until after the 2026 season.

Imagine the reaction to a news conference next week with Bob Castellini and Nick Krall bookended at the table by India and Stephenson for the announcement that both players have been locked up to extension.

This approach was the model executed by the mid 1990's Cleveland Indians with GM John Hart shrewdly locking up young players early like Sandy Alomar, Jim Thome, Carlos Baerga and Manny Ramirez. That group was part of a run of five consecutive playoff appearances and two World Series appearances (1995-1999).

Would there be risk? Sure. But consider what it could mean for both sides.....plus the clubhouse and the fan base.

Read More Here:
    https://700wlw.iheart.com/featured/l...e-core-pieces/
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 08-05-2022 at 03:42 PM.

7. Likes:

Old school 1983 (08-05-2022)

I doubt if any extensions are offered until Winter or Spring, as I would think that the REDS want to take a look at everything they have between now and then. After that, see how everything fits with their current 5-year plan. We just added about 25 new prospects, while there are another 150 players to be looking over to see everyone's projection in the organization.

Then there's the conversation that needs to take place with Stephenson about earning him a ton more money by extending his career through a move away from Catcher. If he's not willing to move from Catcher, I wouldn't want to extend him as a player. He'd cost too much for the production they would get back from him. If he's willing to move away from Catcher, then I would offer him a lot more than I would as a Catcher.

If Stephenson isn't willing to move away from Catcher, then I trade him during the Winter before the last season we have him under arbitration control and take whatever he gives us up to that point. Replace him, don't pay him anymore, and move on. The money is needed elsewhere. Can't pay a guy full season salaries for partial seasons of production.

India is a no-brainer. Could probably offer him the extension now and be pretty safe.

Greene, I would want to see how he handles the physical endurance of having pitched whatever x-number of innings he does this season. He needs to get through an entire season healthy before even considering extending him.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 08-05-2022 at 04:10 PM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Lance McAlister's take on what should happen now
    Next step for Reds: Locking up the core pieces
    Read More Here:
    https://700wlw.iheart.com/featured/l...e-core-pieces/
    Sounds great … in theory. Problem comes in identifying who those core players are. It’s easy to sit here in 2022 and say that India, Stephenson, and Greene ought to be extended. India has one year as ROY, and a half season of struggle. Stephenson is awesome … when he is not on the IL. Greene has a LOT of work to do to become an All-Star TOR horse for this team for the next ten years.

When you look at the guys the Reds have extended in the last ten years AND it worked out, Joey Votto is the only one. All the rest, it seemed like a good idea at the time, but each player had issues. Cueto should have been extended, but in this case, the Reds kept “Kurt Stillwell” (Homer Bailey), and traded “Barry Larkin” (Johnny Cueto).

I’m not even sure that we could find ten posters on RedsZone who would agree who should be extended and who should be flipped for prospects.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

10. Likes:

Marc D (08-05-2022)

I wouldn’t extend Greene. Too risky given his TJ history and struggles so far.

I would be hesitant to extend any pitchers, but I would be more likely to extend guys like Ashcraft, guys who get lots of ground balls, as opposed to the strike out pitchers. They tend to last longer in the league.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

12. Likes:

fondfoat (08-05-2022),Revering4Blue (08-05-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I wouldn’t extend Greene. Too risky given his TJ history and struggles so far.

I would be hesitant to extend any pitchers, but I would be more likely to extend guys like Ashcraft, guys who get lots of ground balls, as opposed to the strike out pitchers. They tend to last longer in the league.
    And cost 1/3rd as much, or even less.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

14. Likes:

757690 (08-05-2022),Revering4Blue (08-05-2022)

I see no reason to offer a long term deal to anyone on the current roster right now other than a PR move. We have a million highly touted IF prospects in our system that should be ready by the time India hits FA. Stephenson is too injury prone to sign as a catcher, and there's no reason to pay him big bucks as a 1B/DH. Greene in still learning how to pitch, Lodolo has 8 starts, and while I like Ashcraft I don't see a need to sign him up beyond the 5 years of control left.

Let things play out and see how many of our top prospects develop over the next few years.
    Last edited by JCM11; 08-05-2022 at 04:36 PM.

16. Likes:

Marc D (08-05-2022),Old school 1983 (08-05-2022),Ron Madden (08-05-2022)

I'd give a long term deal to Bob and Phil . . . to take the next train to Palookaville.

No matter how much talent is at the farm, we are still pigs going to slaughter in their eyes and the Reds do not get to a WS until there is a change at the top.
    Where we gonna go?

18. Likes:

Kingspoint (08-05-2022),Redsfan6272 (08-06-2022),RedTeamGo! (08-05-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    I'd give a long term deal to Bob and Phil . . . to take the next train to Palookaville.

No matter how much talent is at the farm, we are still pigs going to slaughter in their eyes and the Reds do not get to a WS until there is a change at the top.
    Someone finally does Phil a solid and answers that age old question: where you gonna go?
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

I would offer India an extension. 6 years to but out arb years and 2 FA years. I'd be willing to go up to 70 million for him.

I wouldn't extend Stephenson until next year. I'd like to see him play another full year and see how he produces. Would offer him similar money.

The only other extension I'd consider is Farmer. 3/15 would be my maximum. He's my super utility guy getting starts at SS, 3B, DH and LF.

21. Likes:

Tony Cloninger (08-05-2022)

Turn Off Ads?