Turn Off Ads?
Page 14 of 31 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: Jose Barrero Called Up

Re: Jose Barrero Called Up

Quote Originally Posted by CaiGuy View Post
    He got it down to 22% with an end-of-year hot streak at the end of 2021?

2018 A - 21.7%
    2019 A + - 18.4%
    2021 AA - 22.2%
    2021 AAA - 22.0%
    2022 AAA - 37.6%

Looks pretty consistent to me outside of 2022. Obviously, he has faceplanted in the majors, but hasn't played enough to make any kind of determination yet. It will be interesting to see what he does with extended playing time.

The strikeouts will be higher than you would want, but we are talking about a plus SS with big-time power and speed. He doesn't need to make elite contact to stick in the bigs. I was comparing him to a guy with a 24.1 K%, not DJ LaMahieu.
    A ball and AA are not responsive to what I said. I hope you don’t think you refuted what i said. You didn’t.

And I’m not sure 22% K rate at AA is terribly good for a top prospect.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    A ball and AA are not responsive to what I said. I hope you don’t think you refuted what i said. You didn’t.

http://www.prospects1500.com/milb/mi...al-benchmarks/
    According to this the Jose’s k% was about average for AA in 2021
    The television crews left and about 10 reporters remained in the room. That's when Price took his turn doing the talking.
    What followed was a five-minute, 34-second expletive-filled tirade. The final tally was 77 uses of the "F" word or a variant and 11 uses of a vulgar term for feces (two bovine, one equine).

4. Likes:

westofyou (08-09-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    http://www.prospects1500.com/milb/mi...al-benchmarks/
    According to this the Jose’s k% was about average for AA in 2021
    Have an average K rate is bad for a top prospect most AA players are not MLB caliber players. Plus he swings wildly on sliders the book is out on him That is why he struggled in AAA which is what 6 I heard from people and verified by our announcers. The plate discpiline charts also show this.

6. Likes:

Kc61 (08-09-2022)

If you can’t lay off sliders/breaking balls out of the zone you will have a short career. Unless you are Javy Baez and go off for stretches. I don’t think Barrero can do that, though.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

If you can't trust your top prospect with the bases loaded......
    “As long as I have fun playing, the stats will take care of themselves.”
    -- Ken Griffey, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    Barrero ain’t the Reds top prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Barrero ain’t the Reds top prospect.
    He was at one time. Baseball America no longer considers him a prospect.

Point is mute... you know what I mean.
    “As long as I have fun playing, the stats will take care of themselves.”
    -- Ken Griffey, Jr.

He was at one time. Baseball America no longer considers him a prospect.

Point is mute... you know what I mean.
    I do, but just sayin: if Barrero had prospect eligibility right now he wouldn’t crack too 5 for Reds right now IMO.

Bad call by Bell. Give the kid the chance to turn his night around.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

13. Likes:

Boss-Hog (08-10-2022),CaiGuy (08-10-2022),Coopdaddy67 (08-09-2022),goreds2 (08-10-2022),Marc D (08-10-2022),Old school 1983 (08-10-2022),Ron Madden (08-10-2022),SirFelixCat (08-10-2022),Wonderful Monds (08-09-2022)

Agreed. It made sense tactically, but the whole point of the next couple months is seeing Barrero get consistent ABs, learn and hopefully adjust.

Leave him in there and see what happens.

15. Likes:

M2 (08-09-2022),Marc D (08-10-2022),Old school 1983 (08-10-2022),Ron Madden (08-10-2022),SirFelixCat (08-10-2022),Wonderful Monds (08-09-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneinthBrame View Post
    Have an average K rate is bad for a top prospect most AA players are not MLB caliber players. Plus he swings wildly on sliders the book is out on him That is why he struggled in AAA which is what 6 I heard from people and verified by our announcers. The plate discpiline charts also show this.
    I wasn’t trying to say he’s going to magically be successful in the big leagues, just that at one point he wasn’t absolutely horrendous at the plate. I think you’d be surprised at how many of the top prospects have a k% around 22%. 5 of the top 6 hitting prospects (according to MLB pipeline) had k% above 20%. De La Cruz has a k% above 30%.
    The television crews left and about 10 reporters remained in the room. That's when Price took his turn doing the talking.
    What followed was a five-minute, 34-second expletive-filled tirade. The final tally was 77 uses of the "F" word or a variant and 11 uses of a vulgar term for feces (two bovine, one equine).

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Bad call by Bell. Give the kid the chance to turn his night around.
    I’m typically pretty hard on Barrero but I’ve got to agree with you here. He has pop and he was the tying run. The season is lost anyway, what’s your be gained by sending Alejo Lopez up there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    I’m typically pretty hard on Barrero but I’ve got to agree with you here. He has pop and he was the tying run. The season is lost anyway, what’s your be gained by sending Alejo Lopez up there?

A case, once again, of David doing too much managing. I leave him in and see if he runs into one and ties the game. Plus, pretend you have confidence in him, even when you don't. Lopez hasn't impressed me. I say, yes way, Jose, and go for the four run homer.
    “It’s the mathematical potential for a single game to last forever, in a suspended world where no clock rules the day, that aligns baseball as much with the dead as the living.”
    ---- Bill Vaughn

"Science adjusts its views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved." ---Tim Minchin("Storm")

19. Likes:

goreds2 (08-10-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post

I really don't follow. My only point is that his K rate was constantly around 22% for his entire career at every level, going into this year, so his rate in AAA (pre-injury) was not flukey, nor an insurmountable problem. We aren't talking about a 1B or DH here, we are talking about a good SS with pop. I don't think he will hit in the top or middle of a good lineup. All I said is that he could be similar to another young SS with a low OB%, some issues with K's, good power, and great defense at SS. Add it up and that is an average hitter with great defense at a premium position. That has real value.

We both agree that a 37% K rate is not sustainable and if that is his new normal then he is bust-city. The question is, is he the 22% guy he always was, and this year is the temporary result of a major injury, or is this the new normal for him going forward? I guess we will see.

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post

I think there's definitely time to give guys some run, and then there's also a teachable and possibly very fun moment (depending on whether you're Barrero or the team or a fan) where you have a chance to tie the game against a team that is top caliber at their place. Nothing about Barrero's previous TERRIBLE plate appearances suggested that he was up there to do anything other than hack away at pitches a foot off the plate.
    "He reminds me of me when I was that age -- the way he plays the game, I mean," Pete Rose talking about Chris Sabo

22. Likes:

757690 (08-10-2022),Marc D (08-10-2022)

Turn Off Ads?