Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 31 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Jose Barrero Called Up

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Re: Jose Barrero Called Up

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I dont’ know what standstill you mean. Jose played AAA last year, got promoted, then in 2022 got injured and hasn’t hit since his return. That’s what happens with developing players sometimes.

If he’s really as talented as everyone says Reds should be focused on getting Jose on track at the plate. I’m not sure how promoting him does that, the pitching will be tougher.
    Willing to acknowledge “stalled” was not the best choice of words. Regardless, he is 24 and hasn’t played any meaningful baseball this year. And there’s really good talent in the system at his position.

The debate about coddling pitchers and challenging thy hitters will never be conclusively settled. And unless Barrero turns into Barry Larkin at the plate soon, this decision (bringing him up while scuffling) will be debated endlessly.

If he’s clearly overmatched, like 2-28 in his first 5 games overmatched, then he’ll probably be demoted again. I don’t have anything tangible to back this assertion, but I think he’s going to hit. IF he’s healthy, he should be inspired to get out there and win the job.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

2. Turn Off Ads?

David Bell said Jose Barrero will play most days at SS, Kyle Farmer will play a lot of 3B

4. Likes:

757690 (08-03-2022),Chip R (08-04-2022),cumberlandreds (08-03-2022),Larkin Fan (08-04-2022),M2 (08-04-2022),Old school 1983 (08-03-2022),Ron Madden (08-03-2022),Rowsdower (08-03-2022),SirFelixCat (08-03-2022),TRF (08-03-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    David Bell said Jose Barrero will play most days at SS, Kyle Farmer will play a lot of 3B
    Good on Barrero. Get Steer up here for 3B, and let Farmer play LF
    Go BLUE!!!

6. Likes:

Old school 1983 (08-03-2022),Ron Madden (08-03-2022),Rowsdower (08-03-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Pleasantly surprised. I was wrong, I expected Barrero to be mostly a backup, filling in at SS and CF every now and then. Glad I was wrong.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

8. Likes:

Chip R (08-04-2022),Ron Madden (08-03-2022)

Feels like this promotion is Reds putting some pressure on Jose to perform since the line forming behind him is getting long. Hope he's up to it.

10. Likes:

ochoa30 (08-04-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by TexasRedsFan View Post
    Feels like this promotion is Reds putting some pressure on Jose to perform since the line forming behind him is getting long. Hope he's up to it.
    Nothing gets ya moving more than a little job pressure

12. Likes:

Chip R (08-04-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Good on Barrero. Get Steer up here for 3B, and let Farmer play LF for Chunichi

fify. doing that a lot these days.

I'd rather see Fraley in LF over Farmer. I'd rather see Aquino in RF over Farmer. I'd rather see Senzel at Taco Bell than in CF, but Farmer can't play CF so...
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasRedsFan View Post
    Feels to me like they owners saying we just traded most of our recognizable names in the name of the future, ready or not, let's throw the fans a bone to see some if it so they keep coming.

I don't think bringing a messed-up guy struggling to OPS .600 in AAA and having big league pitchers mess with his head even more is the right way to get him back on the right track. Just seems like this could send him into a deeper funk. I hope he doesn't get into terrible habits, trying to compensate, that will be hard to undo. I just think there is more potential for this to do more harm to his future than good.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Feels to me like they owners saying we just traded most of our recognizable names in the name of the future, ready or not, let's throw the fans a bone to see some if it so they keep coming.

I don't think bringing a messed-up guy struggling to OPS .600 in AAA and having big league pitchers mess with his head even more is the right way to get him back on the right track. Just seems like this could send him into a deeper funk. I hope he doesn't get into terrible habits, trying to compensate, that will be hard to undo. I just think there is more potential for this to do more harm to his future than good.
    I do understand where you’re coming from.

But let me ask you this - assume the Reds leave him in AAA the rest of the year, and he makes no improvement at the plate. It’d not only be a wasted year, but he’d likely be passed up in our suddenly stocked system.

If he comes up and just..brutal, after 2 weeks, sure. Send him back.

Maybe they want to see if he can rise to the occasion.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

16. Likes:

Old school 1983 (08-03-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    I do understand where you’re coming from.

But let me ask you this - assume the Reds leave him in AAA the rest of the year, and he makes no improvement at the plate. It’d not only be a wasted year, but he’d likely be passed up in our suddenly stocked system.

If he comes up and just..brutal, after 2 weeks, sure. Send him back.

Maybe they want to see if he can rise to the occasion.
    If he can't ever hit again in AAA, that's what should happen. How does bringing him up to struggle in the big leagues change that?

I don't believe in putting Step 2 ahead of Step 1. It usually has adverse consequences to steps 3, 4 and 5 and those are the steps that are important. I couldn't care less about who plays SS in August of 22. I want the prized young player to be all he can be in 2023 and beyond and exposing a struggling player to big league pitchers has potential to adversely effect that. If he comes around, he would have come around anyway and what happens now won't matter either way. If he goes into a funk, that could prevent or at least delay him eventually coming around. I see nothing to be gained but potentially there is something to lose here.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Barrero should play SS.

Steer should play 3B.

Farmer should move to catcher.

19. Likes:

757690 (08-03-2022),Revering4Blue (08-04-2022)

The main reason why I like Barrero playing SS regularly the rest of the season is that this will help the young pitchers. Barrero is superior defensively which should give Reds pitchers more confidence, which is crucial to their development.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Barrero should play SS.

Steer should play 3B.

Farmer should move to catcher.
    I really like this idea. Farmer as an average defensive catcher would have solid value, and open up an infield spot for the youngsters.

However, I am not sure the Reds are creative and adventurous enough to try it.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

21. Likes:

Coopdaddy67 (08-04-2022),Revering4Blue (08-04-2022),Ron Madden (08-03-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    The main reason why I like Barrero playing SS regularly the rest of the season is that this will help the young pitchers. Barrero is superior defensively which should give Reds pitchers more confidence, which is crucial to their development.

- - - Updated - - -

I really like this idea. Farmer as an average defensive catcher would have solid value, and open up an infield spot for the youngsters.

However, I am not sure the Reds are creative and adventurous enough to try it.
    I question if Farmer is willing to ever play catcher again, IMO and/or if Bell is ever willing to do it.
    Bell is a huge fan of Farmer as an infielder. In fact, if Bell wasn't manager, maybe Farmer never gets a chance to be the starting SS.
    Remember the last time Farmer was the catcher.. maybe it was not the last game he caught, but towards the end.
    Reds were too cheap to sign a second catcher, decided Farmer would be the only catcher on the roster.
    Farmer got what looked like two concusions in the game.. after first one, he was left in to play, then took another blow to the head.
    An experience like that might make Farmer refuse to catch again.. He's established himself as an infielder now. IF the Reds non tender him, he'll have no problem getting a job
    somewhere else, and IMO, he has a legit reason to never catch again.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

23. Likes:

Revering4Blue (08-04-2022)

Farmer hasn't been a catcher in a MLB game since 2019. He has only appeared as a catcher in 19 games. All of 91 innings. It's laughable to think he would be an effective back up catcher much less an everyday one. Reds need to go out and find a good back up catcher. With al of these trades they made in the last few days I didn't any of those guys listed as a catcher. Just shows how incompetent Reds management is. But we have Papierski and his butter finger hands and noodle bat. Where you gonna go?

https://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/F/Pfarmk001.htm
    Reds Fan Since 1971

25. Likes:

Chip R (08-04-2022),REDREAD (08-09-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    Time to sink or swim, Mr. Barrero.

Hasn’t been tearing it up, but this is the perfect time to give him an extended look.
    Makes perfect sense calling up a kid that hasn't shown he can even hit minor league pitching with a line of ... .209 BA .262 OB% .639 OPS, and is striking out 37% of the time in 237 PAs.

This organization picked up how many SS prospects over the last week? IMO, they're calling him up for the remainder of the season, knowing his struggles, so that it gives management an excuse (before the fans), if need be, to cut bait on him if his struggles continue offensively. Barrero certainly should be looking 0ver his shoulder at age 24. C'mon! I personally don't think he's gonna make it.

I'm reading that Farmer will now get the majority of his playing time at 3B.... https://www.cincinnati.com/story/spo...d/10225340002/
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Turn Off Ads?