Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Sports Pet Peeves

Re: Sports Pet Peeves

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Yea I don't like super fans either. I also don't like when people try to call into question ones fanhood.

Saying "we" when talking about your favorite teams. You aren't out there practicing, don't use we.

The NFL has gotten better at this but it used to be TD, Time out, Kickoff, Time out.
    I'm fine with saying "we" if a sports team is representing my city or my school.

2. Turn Off Ads?

It's "we" when you are supporting them financially and paying their bills as a season-ticket holder.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    The "love it or leave it" response when calling out ownership for milking their own franchise.

I heard it all through the 90s with the Bengals, I hear it now with the Reds.
    That covers any disrespect Ownership shows to those footing the bill locally.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

In no particular order...

1. The Boston Celtics

2. In hockey games, constant uncalled Interference. Yeah, I'm looking at you 2007-08 Detroit Red Wings.

3. Speaking of the NHL- Tom Wilson. Jackhole.

4. Terrible high school coaches who peaked at "Typing Teacher". Worthless lot.

5. College hockey players. Just a personal thing. Was dating a super-hot girl in college and she broke up with me after a hockey party. It hadn't gotten serious yet, so the real pain wasn't the dumping. It was the fact that she did it by saying, "I met a hockey player...", which- when translated to the dumpee- means, "I think I traded WAY up and wanted to let you know how excited I am about it." Long story short, within a week he'd also traded up, showed up at our frat party with some buddies of his, tried to steal our booze, and I got to watch a frat brother punch a future NHL player in the face. And no, it wasn't Tom Wilson.

6. Twenty-minute long instant replay decisions for obvious calls.

7. Award voting. Completely broken. Fix it.

8. Viewing blackout rules, particularly MLB. Check out the blackout map for Iowa. Tragic.

9. Jeff Van Gundy. You are bad at announcing basketball games. Go away.

10. Knockoff jerseys from foreign countries. I you order an XL Reds jersey that turns out to actually fit no adult on the planet, and has Votto spelled with only one "t", don't say you weren't warned.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

5. Likes:

Dom Heffner (08-06-2022),Kingspoint (08-06-2022)

“National” announcers vrs local or “regional” announcers for the sports I watch : soccer, baseball, football, basketball.
    I have yet to experience a “national” announcer who was fully prepared by knowing key details about the teams involved. They are all ignorant to varying degrees. Let the local announcers call the games, even for nationally televised games. It’s clearly a better quality experience.

People at the bar screaming "HIT HIM!!" on a three yard run.

8. Likes:

Bob Sheed (08-06-2022),Dom Heffner (08-06-2022)

close game or hitting team trails in the game, 2 straight guys walk esp if on only 4 or 5 pitches, but next batter doesn't take a strike before swinging. Very specific but it really bugs me.
    “The guys we've had for the most part have been serviceable at this level.”

Youth sports parents. Ya'll need to remember a few things:

1) The umpire/ref is trying. Some are actually volunteering, or at least very new to officiating. It's harder than it looks, so back off.

2) When the other team tags them/steals the ball/tackles them, they really aren't doing anything dirty. They're just playing the game and sometimes players get hurt.

3) You're. Not. The. Coach. When I would coach rec league teams. you'd always get the parents trying to coach from the stands. I had one parent move where their kid was positioned, and the next hitter hit the ball where they had been standing. The thing was, I had told them where to stand before the inning, they were only doing what I had said. When the game is going on, let the coaches take care of things. If you don't like it, sign up next season to coach.

4) There is almost no chance your kid will go pro. And this regular season rec league game? Who wins doesn't change their life trajectory. Let it go!
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

11. Likes:

Assembly Hall (08-07-2022),dubc47834 (08-09-2022),Revering4Blue (08-06-2022),Roy Tucker (08-06-2022)

Golf fans yelling "Get in the hole" when pros tee off on a par-3.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    In no particular order...

1. The Boston Celtics

2. In hockey games, constant uncalled Interference. Yeah, I'm looking at you 2007-08 Detroit Red Wings.

3. Speaking of the NHL- Tom Wilson. Jackhole.

4. Terrible high school coaches who peaked at "Typing Teacher". Worthless lot.

5. College hockey players. Just a personal thing. Was dating a super-hot girl in college and she broke up with me after a hockey party. It hadn't gotten serious yet, so the real pain wasn't the dumping. It was the fact that she did it by saying, "I met a hockey player...", which- when translated to the dumpee- means, "I think I traded WAY up and wanted to let you know how excited I am about it." Long story short, within a week he'd also traded up, showed up at our frat party with some buddies of his, tried to steal our booze, and I got to watch a frat brother punch a future NHL player in the face. And no, it wasn't Tom Wilson.

6. Twenty-minute long instant replay decisions for obvious calls.

7. Award voting. Completely broken. Fix it.

8. Viewing blackout rules, particularly MLB. Check out the blackout map for Iowa. Tragic.

9. Jeff Van Gundy. You are bad at announcing basketball games. Go away.

10. Knockoff jerseys from foreign countries. I you order an XL Reds jersey that turns out to actually fit no adult on the planet, and has Votto spelled with only one "t", don't say you weren't warned.
    Great stuff!
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post

1) The umpire/ref is trying. Some are actually volunteering, or at least very new to officiating. It's harder than it looks, so back off.

2) When the other team tags them/steals the ball/tackles them, they really aren't doing anything dirty. They're just playing the game and sometimes players get hurt.

3) You're. Not. The. Coach. When I would coach rec league teams. you'd always get the parents trying to coach from the stands. I had one parent move where their kid was positioned, and the next hitter hit the ball where they had been standing. The thing was, I had told them where to stand before the inning, they were only doing what I had said. When the game is going on, let the coaches take care of things. If you don't like it, sign up next season to coach.

4) There is almost no chance your kid will go pro. And this regular season rec league game? Who wins doesn't change their life trajectory. Let it go!

Some of the worst, most embarrassing behavior you will ever witness is from parents whose kids play youth sports. Saw a dad leave the stands one night, go on to the court and try to fist fight a 5'5" referee. And that wasn't even the worst behavior.
    “It’s the mathematical potential for a single game to last forever, in a suspended world where no clock rules the day, that aligns baseball as much with the dead as the living.”
    ---- Bill Vaughn

"Science adjusts its views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved." ---Tim Minchin("Storm")

15. Likes:

CySeymour (08-09-2022)

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Also- people who complain about what athletes make.

Is there anything more boring than that?

17. Likes:

CySeymour (08-09-2022),dubc47834 (08-09-2022),Revering4Blue (08-07-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Golf fans yelling "Get in the hole" when pros tee off on a par-3.
    Even worse, when they do it on a par 5

19. Likes:

adkindo (08-17-2022),Chip R (08-10-2022),texasdave (08-07-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Yea I don't like super fans either. I also don't like when people try to call into question ones fanhood.

Saying "we" when talking about your favorite teams. You aren't out there practicing, don't use we.

The NFL has gotten better at this but it used to be TD, Time out, Kickoff, Time out.
    I understand what you are getting at, and I've debated this with myself a million times. I don't say "we", but the fans are the most important part of the equation. "We" is probably the correct word.
    WHEN DOES IT STOP!?!?

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post

I would like to add that I know of several guys(including some friends) that specifically got into coaching so they could coach their future pro kid.

22. Likes:

CySeymour (08-09-2022)

If the team isn't signing your paycheck, you're not part of "we". Don't use it. I'll give half a pass if it's a college team and you're an alumnus of the school because there's a different connection there, but even then you're not really part of "we".

24. Likes:

CySeymour (08-09-2022),westofyou (08-09-2022)

Turn Off Ads?