Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Sports Pet Peeves

Re: Sports Pet Peeves

More often then not the overuse of analytics in sports takes out most of the character/heart of the game

2. Likes:

bm1475 (09-04-2022),cumberlandreds (08-19-2022),Ky Fried Redleg (08-20-2022),redsfanmia (08-31-2022),Roy Tucker (08-19-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by ShyGuy View Post
    More often then not the overuse of analytics in sports takes out most of the character/heart of the game
    I tried to explain wOBA to my wife at a recent Reds game. After the 3rd or 4th try, she got it but said “that’s pretty stupid”.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

5. Likes:

cumberlandreds (08-19-2022),Revering4Blue (08-30-2022),UKFlounder (08-31-2022)

I miss being a kid reading the Sports page and getting box scores along with the standings. It was actually easier for me to follow the teams that way versus the web.

PFF in football. Putting it nicely I aint feeling it

7. Likes:

Boston Red (08-29-2022),Chip R (08-31-2022),cumberlandreds (08-29-2022),dubc47834 (09-05-2022),OesterPoster (08-30-2022),OldFashionedRed (09-05-2022),Roy Tucker (08-29-2022)

I miss being a kid reading the Sports page and getting box scores along with the standings. It was actually easier for me to follow the teams that way versus the web.

Especially the PFF ratings for offensive linemen. There's just no freaking way a guy sitting at his computer re-watching the game has any clue what one particular lineman was supposed to do on every single play. And then to do that for preseason games too? Woof.

I miss looking at box scores too. I'd go to the media center during my high school study halls and read the Sporting News from front to back. Go through each box score and see what my favorite players on non-Reds teams did two days ago.

9. Likes:

cumberlandreds (08-30-2022),ShyGuy (08-30-2022)

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

I sure miss those box scores when it comes to my local HS sports.

11. Likes:

Revering4Blue (08-30-2022),ShyGuy (08-30-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by OesterPoster View Post
    Especially the PFF ratings for offensive linemen. There's just no freaking way a guy sitting at his computer re-watching the game has any clue what one particular lineman was supposed to do on every single play. And then to do that for preseason games too? Woof.

I miss looking at box scores too. I'd go to the media center during my high school study halls and read the Sporting News from front to back. Go through each box score and see what my favorite players on non-Reds teams did two days ago.
    You've obviously never played football. It's not that hard to figure out what a Lineman's responsibility was on any given play. It's quite simple to figure out if you know anything about the sport.

That's one of my pet peeves...someone who claims something is impossible just because they lack the ability to figure it out.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

When announcers refer to the NFL as "The National Football League" over and over during the same broadcast. You can call it the NFL- we all get it.

14. Likes:

Chip R (09-02-2022),RedTeamGo! (08-31-2022),Revering4Blue (08-31-2022),RichRed (09-01-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    When announcers refer to the NFL as "The National Football League" over and over during the same broadcast. You can call it the NFL- we all get it.
    Similar: During a college game when the announcers are talking about an NFL prospect "And that is why he will be playing on sundays"
    What would you say.....ya do here?

16. Likes:

Dom Heffner (09-02-2022)

Sorry guys, the whole Michigan/Ohio State rivalry in football to me seems dumb.

I'll admit I'm from NJ and didn't have a good social experience in college. But honestly just watching the fans on these college rivalry games on TV they all look very cultish. And for what judging your happiness on some teenagers/early 20 year olds.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    You've obviously never played football. It's not that hard to figure out what a Lineman's responsibility was on any given play. It's quite simple to figure out if you know anything about the sport.

That's one of my pet peeves...someone who claims something is impossible just because they lack the ability to figure it out.
    Okay. I know a couple former NFL linemen with All-Pro accolades and Super Bowl rings. The next time I run into them, I'll ask their opinions on PFF OL ratings and see what they say. If I'm wrong, I'll come back here and admit it.

Sorry guys, the whole Michigan/Ohio State rivalry in football to me seems dumb.

I'll admit I'm from NJ and didn't have a good social experience in college. But honestly just watching the fans on these college rivalry games on TV they all look very cultish. And for what judging your happiness on some teenagers/early 20 year olds.
    Yeah, I hear you. I’m an Ohio State grad and a big Buckeye fan. But sometimes I’m a little embarrassed by some of the over the top fandom of OSU football fans. When I was in my teens and 20’s, it really was crazy important to me. But the older I got, it’s like you said, it’s just a bunch of 20 year olds playing football. I was like why do I get so cranked up? I like to root for the team, like to watch games, get caught up in the competition, but once the game is over, it just doesn’t matter. My family and friends matter, my wife and kids matter, but I’m not going to lose my mind over a sports loss. Same goes for the Reds.

But I do like beating Michigan. There is some bad blood there so I do like to see them lose more than any other team.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

20. Likes:

Chip R (09-07-2022),ShyGuy (09-04-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Yeah, I hear you. I’m an Ohio State grad and a big Buckeye fan. But sometimes I’m a little embarrassed by some of the over the top fandom of OSU football fans. When I was in my teens and 20’s, it really was crazy important to me. But the older I got, it’s like you said, it’s just a bunch of 20 year olds playing football. I was like why do I get so cranked up? I like to root for the team, like to watch games, get caught up in the competition, but once the game is over, it just doesn’t matter. My family and friends matter, my wife and kids matter, but I’m not going to lose my mind over a sports loss. Same goes for the Reds.

But I do like beating Michigan. There is some bad blood there so I do like to see them lose more than any other team.
    I respect that.

I don't care however for some OSU fans abbreviating Michigan as scUM. Seems very childish to me. I mean as far as I know Michigan runs a somewhat clean program. It's not like they had Penn State scandals. But I understand Michigan fans probably have their obnoxious ways about themselves as well. I'm just more familiar with Ohio State fans.

But believe me this annoys me more on a local level with respect to Big 10 football. Imo it should be a bigger scandal than it is

https://www.northjersey.com/story/ne...e/65367819007/

Even though I like the Bills, I'll admit this whole project/deal seems wrong for their new stadium

https://sports.yahoo.com/bills-reach...164653173.html

And the Pegulas the owners aren't spending a dime on this. It's coming all out of taxpayer money. Imo the money can better be funded

That, and Sears Catalog. I miss actually reading newspapers and heading right to the boxscores.
    "He reminds me of me when I was that age -- the way he plays the game, I mean," Pete Rose talking about Chris Sabo

Basketball play-by-play announcers that refer to "a great defensive possession". There is no such thing. The offensive team possesses the ball. The defense has no possession.
    It should be referred to as a "Defensive set".

25. Likes:

Chip R (09-18-2022)

Turn Off Ads?