Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Ed Ames, R.I.P.

Ed Ames, R.I.P.

Ed Ames has passed away, age 95.
    My guess is few here under age 50 will remember Ed Ames, who first achieved musical success with the Ames Brothers in the 1950s followed by a solo singing career. To we children of the 1960s, he is probably most often remembered for his role as "Mingo," a Cherokee Indian, in Fess Parker's "Daniel Boone" series. His most memorable single moment was the night he appeared on Johnny Carson's "The Tonight Show" and demonstrated his prowess at throwing a tomahawk. However, when he threw it, the tomahawk hit the target figure in the groin, prompting Carson to quip "I didn't know you were Jewish." The audience and those of us at home roared with laughter.
    Ed Ames, R.I.P.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

2. Likes:

cumberlandreds (05-26-2023),Kingspoint (05-29-2023),mth123 (05-28-2023),Ron Madden (05-26-2023),Roy Tucker (06-12-2023),westofyou (05-26-2023)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Ed Ames, R.I.P.

Here's the Ed Ames tomahawk throw on Johnny Carson. Probably one of the funniest moments of all time on TV. Ames was a great singer too. He had some popularity in that field for a time in the 60's. Of course I remember best in his role as Mingo on The Daniel Boone Show. RIP Ed Ames.

Last edited by cumberlandreds; 05-26-2023 at 10:26 AM. Reason: spelling
    Reds Fan Since 1971

5. Likes:

Kingspoint (05-29-2023),RedsBaron (05-26-2023),Roy Tucker (06-12-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    Ed Ames has passed away, age 95.
    My guess is few here under age 50 will remember Ed Ames, who first achieved musical success with the Ames Brothers in the 1950s followed by a solo singing career. To we children of the 1960s, he is probably most often remembered for his role as "Mingo," a Cherokee Indian, in Fess Parker's "Daniel Boone" series. His most memorable single moment was the night he appeared on Johnny Carson's "The Tonight Show" and demonstrated his prowess at throwing a tomahawk. However, when he threw it, the tomahawk hit the target figure in the groin, prompting Carson to quip "I didn't know you were Jewish." The audience and those of us at home roared with laughter.
    Ed Ames, R.I.P.
    The Ames' segment on Carson is one of the most memorable on the show. Classic.
    “It’s the mathematical potential for a single game to last forever, in a suspended world where no clock rules the day, that aligns baseball as much with the dead as the living.”
    ---- Bill Vaughn

"Science adjusts its views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved." ---Tim Minchin("Storm")

Here's an obit for Ames. It says in this the laugh he and Carson got from the tomahawk throw was the longest in YV history at 4 minutes.

https://variety.com/2023/music/news/...ne-1235626012/
    Reds Fan Since 1971

8. Likes:

Kingspoint (05-29-2023)

My Dad use to love to listen to the Ames brothers. I remember Ed as Mingo on Daniel Boone.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Here's an obit for Ames. It says in this the laugh he and Carson got from the tomahawk throw was the longest in YV history at 4 minutes.

https://variety.com/2023/music/news/...ne-1235626012/
    ...and we're still laughing at it today. That's a really long laugh. Doubt if a day goes by where someone somewhere doesn't watch it from a tape, dvd, livestream, or whatever and gets another laugh out of it.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

I assumed the would be about 120 years old. Had no idea he was still alive. RIP.
    Stick to your guns.

12. Likes:

Kingspoint (06-06-2023)

Turn Off Ads?